Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Sagebrush posted:

It occurs that I've never posted what it looks like on the inside:

This is part of why I haven't offered to make more of this one to sell, lol. That's probably 50 hours of point-to-point wiring work. The next version will definitely have a proper custom circuit board, at least for a bunch of the stuff. (one big advantage of the alternate displays I'm looking at is vastly simplified wiring)

Nice work! Re: your earlier comment about the OLED screen not being readable in sunlight, would a Kindle-type electronic paper screen work better? Suggestion offered as a true non-expert, by the way 😕

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

LimaBiker posted:

E-ink is nice, but the refresh rate is like 1fps with a black-white cycle in between frames. If you don't, you get bad ghosting.

It's also papery grey, which is nice for reading but boring for yay motorcycle stuff.

OLED is by far the nicest display tech, but with the downside of being sensitive to burn in and UV light.

Thanks for the info! I hadn't thought about refresh rate, although the boring monochrome screen was already a limiting factor in my mind as I wrote. OK, back to spectating for me!