Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Glenn is too much of a chickenshit to admit that journalism is always partisan so he tries to pretend non partisan journalism exists and that somehow it's free speech if you have to get funds to get the means of communication but not if you get banned from a platform.

The fact that he huffs farts about impartial journalism is one of the thing that makes him completely insufferable as a person- he loves to smuglord about how he's totally non-partisan and has no beliefs, just like Matt Taibbi, another chickenshit journalist. If he had any principles about his so-called anti-big media, he'd talk poo poo to Tucker Carlson on the Tucker show, but he's friends with all the other media buddies so he'll never say anything mean about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Slanderer posted:

Why does him having principles about free speech make you so mad?

Because they're entirely phony and that 'free speech' is a false ideal since all speech, especially in his profession is curated and to some degree censored. The calls for free speech are more calls to 'put me on your show'. When someone's demanding New York Times respect ideological diversity, they're wanting Andrew Sullivan to be hired, not the Maoist who wrote long articles about the United $nakes of Amereikkka.

You'll notice he never goes against media organizations that have him on.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

sean10mm posted:

Should be easy to quote them doing that if this is what they actually said, and not a strawman.

It looks like they say they hate him for being a transphobe, which you keep ignoring.

I also hate him for being the absolute media scold he thinks he's owning on the internet.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Silver2195 posted:

I should add that I don't claim that any of this is a particularly original observation, even in the context of these forums; I remember some discussion of this, probably with somewhat different terminology, in the context of, e.g., Molly Crabapple's embarrassing past connections to Weev, and in the discussion of Kill All Normies back when that came out. In fact Kill All Normies itself, as the title suggests, made this point in more detail. (Unfortunately I think Angela Nagle became some sort of chud herself since then.) Of course, SA itself was pretty anti-Grundyist prior to 2012 or so, and even still is somewhat in comparison to, say, RPG.net.

I think freedom of speech arguments are much more interesting when broken down into more specific, coherent principles like "we need to have a wider space for discussing tactics" or "we need iconoclasts" rather than "everyone should have the right to speak everywhere whenever whatever", the sort of vague libertarian-ish arguments go nowhere because the libertarian uses this formulation to avoid taking any real stances one way or the other.

And to be quite honest, pointing out hypocrisy is a massive waste of time and mostly a moralistic gotcha that assumes politics is a matter of Being the Best Person.

Grammarchist posted:

Ah yeah, the old "A leftist with poor parents is envious. A leftist with rich parents is doing it out of guilt.

It's almost like people who are gonna write a lot come from certain strata in society that have the time, energy, and education to write that. Marx would not have been able to write Das Kapital if he'd been a Rheinland coal miner rather than the son of a low level Prussian functionary.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

OwlFancier posted:

Notes as I watch it:

1. Out of context greenwald is wrong, in context he's more wrong but has thought about it, leading to the idea that all we should expect from him is that he "acts in good faith". Why? A good faith moron is still a moron, is it necessary to assume right wing assholes are not acting in good faith? Everyone thinks they are acting in good faith to advance things they actually believe are important, this is not a notable or useful trait at all.

2. Sam seder takes greenwald out of context which the speaker thinks is worse than anything greenwald has said. Then proceeds to play "the context" which... does not in any way refute seder or his co host's views and is in fact even more loving stupid because glenn apparently believes that identifying as trans or NB gives you some sort of institutional power in leftist spaces to just loving mind control people or that there are some magic "codes" that prevent you from disagreeing with people. Again this is still absolutely stupid horseshit and in no way is relevant to the criticism that being trans or NB does not confer special rights and that suggesting that people are asking for special rights hearkens back to the gay panic of previous decades.

Like this is a completely bizzare bit of video editing, taking greenwald out of context is bad, if you listen to the context it would make seder's position untenable, he then provides the context and it in no way does that, this is apparently an argument? Like no there is no argument here, there is just a series of assertions none of which support any of the others, presumably you are supposed to watch them in sequence and this is supposed to resemble an argument if you squint your eyes and tilt your head. Who the gently caress is this idiot?

3. Glenn is actually correct because this one person who works at substack totally got their position by playing the oppression olympics and called greenwald transphobic. Uh ok dude tell me more about the trans conspiracy lol.

I have no idea who this guy is but this video makes him seem like a giant loving moron lol. do I have to watch the second half or is it all as stupid as the first half?

Yeah, Doug Lain is a singularly unconvincing figure, a dark void of charisma. The only one of that group that has anything to recommend them is ben burgis but even he's kinda boring. At least Burgis makes more entertaining content because he genuinely does try to debate libertarians rather than just sleepily espousing the value of debate but marxistly.

I think the weird thing about these people is that they think glenn is saying things that are new or interesting. Lame liberal arguments for and about discourse and freedom of speech that have been around since Mill are a dime a dozen and Glenn isn't even that good at writing or speaking in support of them. They're just a weapon in his rhetorical arsenal when it comes to defending people he considers his friends and colleagues in the media.