Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Glenn Greenwald's original claim to fame was writing scathing op-eds about the Bush Administration's for Salon during the early 2000s during the height of the blogging era.

I still to this day think that his articles were quite insightful - he won a few awards - but ever since then he's done everything imaginable throw it all away. That's from his toxic social media presence to becoming a regular guest on Fox News included their late night segments.

Yeah, that's basically my feeling. He's done some genuinely admirable, important work in exposing war crimes committed by the U.S. under Bush and Obama, helping get Lula freed in Brazil, etc, etc. But it's overshadowed by the extremely bad positions he's taken over the past few years, and that's a drat shame. Marielle Franco is spinning in her grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

At this point, it's not just overshadowed it doesn't even matter. It doesn't matter what great things you did years ago when all you are doing is hurting people today.

I don't disagree. My point is, I stand by my defense of him up to a couple of years ago because he was still doing valuable things and hadn't gone full reactionary yet. Nowadays he's indefensible.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

James Garfield posted:

This is a Greenwald blog post from 2005. http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/2005/12/yelling-racist-as-argument-in.html The URL probably makes it obvious but here's a quote from that blog post:

I don't think he was ever any better than he is now, there just weren't Twitter and Tucker Carlson to air his stupid opinions on everything other than the Iraq war.

I think that's probably exactly what it was: he's had some pretty bad positions for a while, but what he was known for was anti-imperialism, exposing war crimes, opposing fascism in Brazil, etc. That's what was getting published, and there really wasn't much reason for leftists who found his work informative and important (which it was) to dig deeper and see what his other positions were. But now all he has to offer is the outright racist, reactionary stuff, and that's really sad. I wish he had used all his time, energy, and talent to muckrake about the continuity between Obama, Trump, and Biden's foreign policies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Sounds like he survived in the earlier 2000s because his Salon editor would have cut that poo poo out.

I think there's probably a lot of truth to that, yeah. A big dispute with editors is part of why he split from The Intercept so dramatically.

(edited for clarity)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Even a couple of years ago it was really loving obvious what direction he was headed.

Hey, maybe to you. If that was the case, good on you - you were right and I was wrong.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BougieBitch posted:

The reason this thread exists is because someone said "So I notice GG having a lot of poo poo takes lately and also people generally spit on the floor immediately after saying his name, what's the timeline" and people have been providing that. There's nothing to be gained defending his honor here, because he has none and the thread is like 4 pages of people laying out the reasoning and now about 2 pages of people posting weak "drunk driving is dangerous, but also it gets people to work on time" takes about him as though getting famous and making money off his reporting is somehow so virtuous that it erases him being an enormous sexist bigot.

I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, but let's try to avoid making unfair comparisons like the part in bold, if we can help it. TIA!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

also lol at demanding I 'meet effort with effort' when responding to a loving twitter link

I mean, your post before this one is a really good one that clearly took some effort, so - more like that please!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't have a strong opinion on Greenwald, but I am curious as to why the USPol thread melts down about him pretty much every single day. The last time it was some person just begging for a random leftist to show up and defend Greenwald like they were posting a Craigslist hookup ad.

I don't know the answer to that, but hey, that's part of why this thread was made: so that there would be fewer derails about him in USPOL.:)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Why do people keep wandering in here, refusing to read the thread and then for some reason always trying to make the point that anyone who objects to Greenwald is wrong in some way?

Discendo Vox posted:

Because there are users who really, really hate DnD and/or SA hatesharing parts of the forum on offsites and in other parts of the forum.

Let's not do forums drama in this thread, please. (also Halloween Jack's post is a couple days old)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

tom kite sent me an angry PM all offended that I would call Glenn a fascist just because he's a fascist and to tell me how much Joe Biden hates black people, just thought I would share that with everyone ITT, if I get probed for doxxing his attempt to harass me for being A LIBERAL it'll be the best 6er of my life.

Yeah, tell an admin so they can verify and take the proper action. Don’t send harassing PMs, you goobers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375592444625104897

can i post some michael tracey on here because holy gently caress have a look at this doozy.

Indeed, because of marriage equality I'm seeing men marry penguins and also their brothers. Many people are saying this!