Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that's basically my feeling. He's done some genuinely admirable, important work in exposing war crimes committed by the U.S. under Bush and Obama, helping get Lula freed in Brazil, etc, etc. But it's overshadowed by the extremely bad positions he's taken over the past few years, and that's a drat shame. Marielle Franco is spinning in her grave.

yeah. i can't fully blame him for going "yeah gently caress the US/Deep State" but he went to full weird "actually an openly fascist US would be cool and good and nazis are my allies". like mother fucker, what do you think the nazis would do to you if they won. i mean he KNOWS how bad fascists are in brazil. i guess he is just a nimby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

Glenn Greenwald gets talked to death, but it's kind of important and good that his image keeps getting deeply and repetitiously suplexed. Because he was never really that great, and all of the good he did was just incidental to his own deep and profound flaws both as a person and in terms of his ideology.

I'm glad I jumped in early on "gently caress Glenn Greenwald" as a position and I'm ok with the actual abuse I received for it by ... in retrospect, less than diligent leftists who had propped him up as kind of an anti-american-hegemony wunderkind full of good nice blessings for the anti-war effort. I'm strawmanning that a bit, but not by much. gently caress glenn!

i always view him as sorta of much shittier Seymour Hersh. both had good articles and did good poo poo BUT than their brains rotted and they believed whatever insane poo poo they heard in the grapevine and believed whatever weird bullshit they heard even when it was clearly not true. i dont think hersh is nazi though so he has a leg up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is interesting, what the tl;dr on Hersh? I almost was able to see him speak once and I think he's massive influential figure but he's kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

he exposed My Lai and the coverup of it afterward and as well as the "covert" boming of cambodia. he did good work after like covering Abu Grabe horror show but he basicaly started telling weird lies and bullshit. like he wrote an JFK book that while some of it is partly true probably, very little of it is sourced and its very smeary. it got worse because he basicaly latched onto various conspiracies (bin ladin wasnt killed in the raid, assad never gassed anyone, seth rich was murdered by the deep state, Skripal poisoning wasnt done by russia) its dumb bad takes. like he will have good points and maybe even be right on some stuff but than he takes it to a weird dumb degree.

he sucks, but he still does decent work and isn't a nazi.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

He's a massive misogynist. He lost his last job because a woman had the gall to edit his work for instance. Very recently gave a ton of support to Seattleite and Bari Weiss-wannabe Katie Herzog when she wrote an editorial complaining about, and I'm paraphrasing here, "folks pressuring masculine girls to become transmen instead of butch lesbians". This of course was based on a flawed reading of a survey showing that the % of folks identifying as lesbian actually increased.

So yeah, gently caress Glenn Greenwald and while I'm at it, gently caress Katie Herzog as well.

also some journalist(forget her name sadly) wrote about how hosed up tech companies are with sexism/bigotry/etc and other gross poo poo and she got tons of sexist attacks. instead of supporting her, glenn went after her too because only glenn can be the true victim.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

im not sure how accurate this is, but seem his rapid fall from "grace" started with this recentish (2020?) anti trans stuff.

so while other people already burned him/ canceled him from his Fox News/Tuck poo poo, the trans stuff was straw that broke the camels back.

it was before that. it started with him defending tucker and weird online fights and then the weird hunter biden poo poo that was stolen by rudy and intercept firing him over going weird over it. than he defend the traitors on the 6th and basicaly also poo poo on BLM folks too plus the terf poo poo.

id say his fall was more of a cascading collapse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Hah. Yea, that's lovely.

Heh. That's good summary.

yeah. like i don't like hersh but he still at least reports ok stuff sometimes between the weird insane poo poo. greenwald basicaly decided to be a mess little fascist apologist as long as the boot isnt on his neck.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

have some new glenn tweets.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1372645953434423300

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1372648131473575937

what sad little man.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while it's certainly even more repugnant to say this about homosexual and transgender people this isn't his first suspiciously-close-to-bi-erasure hot take lately either

i sadly didn't notice that. sorry.

like on some level i "get the anger", because i have had it for other parts of the disabled community but you have to move past that poo poo and try to help everyone and help the whole community. Greenwald just sounds like he wants to be the Biggest victim or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 18, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

holy poo poo i'm just catching up -- people were saying "mask off" earlier in the thread but that piece about trans people today really loving is completely off

edit: lmao also i see the whole "bi people in opposite-sex relationships are actually straight people faking it" part too, which totally owns and he's definitely doubling down on since he first floated that idea a week or two ago

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/video-with-katie-herzog-on-the-expansion

here is the direct link to his little shitfuck TERF bullshit. I honestly never ever ever want to hear about Glenn allegedly doing something good ever again. I don’t care. He is a NIMBY rear end in a top hat who is cool fistbumping tucker and other nazi fucks as long as they aren't Brazilian and now he is spewing their messages for them on twitter because he is a weird rear end in a top hat.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 18, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Piell posted:

Glenn determined to make it clear he's a transphobic shithead
https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1373663172738084869

i get some big weird Green eyed monster vibes whenever i hear this kinda poo poo. "WHY AM I NOT GETTING CONGRADULATED" type poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

"trans people are actually privileged" is a loving disgusting take.

yep. its such a weird loving outlook. like i genuinely don't understand glenns weird complex. "oh hey a fellow reporter is getting harassed horribly by dickhead nerds and tech touchers for reporting on hosed up condictions and culture poo poo in tech, maybe i can help he because i also broke a big story about tech and awfulness and got harrased for it and she could use an ally, NAAAAH clearly she is an piece of poo poo who is trying to be a victim unlike me who is the truest victim" or "hey trans and nonbinary folks get alot of horrific abuse in their lives and online and many are trying to speak out about it, as a gay man, maybe i could try to help them by giving them a platform or uplifting voices since i live in a country run by a facist rear end in a top hat who would kill me for my sexuality, hmmm, NAAHHH, I'll whine and poo poo on them with other assholes and American fascists' because I am the REAL VICTIM, now to go on tucker and agree with all his stuff and talk about the evil trans people who want to get rid of gay men like myself and when i get called on it, i'll cry that i am the victim".

yeah victim culture exists and its not the actual victims doing it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Andrew Sullivan started selling out the rest of the LGBT community the exact moment he wasn't at immediate risk of being fired or clubbed in the streets for being a wealthy gay man, and is now a big name on the front of fighting political correctness and 'cancel culture', defending the free speech of those who want to put trans people in mental wards or in terminally unhappy lives of self-denial.

Didn't think Glenn would take the same road, but also not really surprised.

It's not like he currently lives in Brazil, where trans people are murdered every single day, and where the bigots that assault them post the videos of the beatings on social media because they are proud of it and the law turns a blind eye. Ist it?

Oh.

yeah. honestly every time i think of glenn constently trying to buddy up with facists in his weird warped view of a red-fash alliance (much like other "lefties" like coffin and few other randos) i always think of this scene from goodfellas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJmJoifajE because thats whats gonna happen to stupid fucks like that if the fascist ever openly got i their way into power fully and openly operated the way they wanted openly, same thing would happen to POC/LGBT proud boys and shitheads like Milo and probably Cauthorn since you can't have "cripples" in the New Order. what pisses me off is greenwald knows this, its why he hates bolsonaro for being an open fascist but i guess he thinks american fascists would be more "forgiving"?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Caitlyn Jenner is also a regressive and in 2016 she wanted to be Cruz's trans ambrassador, not sure if she tried to hold water for Donnie or try to be one of those Lincon Project types.

maybe we should get rid of all rich white males?

i think she did both. i think she was behind trump until it sorta affected her and than she sorta turned on him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Why are you going to bat for a person who hates trans people; personally, I feel like that's not a good look

because they think greenwald is "one of the good guys" so their for its acceptable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/SababaUSA/status/1374158762035003407

what a loving idiot. like the funniest thing is i think he is legit surprised.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Attracting brokebrains in D&D isn't exactly a feat.

hey, i represent that remark.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Literally the only time I see Maddow mentioned is by

A) Smoothbrained chuds who think that everyone to the left of open fascism worships her and watches her show religiously

B) Smoothbrained contrarians on this board who thinks that USPol worships her and watches her show religiously.

nobody gives the slightest poo poo about Maddow but bringing her up usually is a great shibboleth for someone who is arguing against a strawman of their own construction.

yeah, i dont know anyone but one of my moms liberal friends(who voted for bernie in the primaries) she is mostly a liberal/leftish boomer thing i guess. my parents news is nbc news with lester holt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1375079174440955912

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1375080283918188551

what a little loving parasite. yeah the old terf rear end in a top hat who invades a queer womens space and shames many of them on his little blog and then pretends to be trans as a lark and the site that lets him do it is the real loving victims. clearly glenn boy detective has found the solution.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 25, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kartikeya posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned, so lol remember when Greenwald got really mad because AOC told Ted Cruz to gently caress off, and then said this?

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1355630170523111425?s=20

I don't give a gently caress what your politics are, or how you feel about AOC, or what side of Force the Vote you were on, mocking a survivor of sexual assault for their response to an incredibly traumatic event because they didn't even have any bruises and Why Can't They Just Get Over It makes you an unforgivably enormous piece of poo poo. In this case, however, it's just one more part that makes up the absolute mountain of poo poo that is Glenn Greenwald.

p.s. Jimmy Dore is also an enormous piece of poo poo.

i am amused that these dumb sacks of poo poo poo poo on loving west wing for putting stupidly toxic concepts of "bipartisan" poo poo in folks minds(which is true to various degrees) but are willing to believe ted cruz and other out and out nazis or their fellow travelers as good faith people so they can poo poo on one of the better progressives in goverment because she didnt pass their weird purity test. gently caress them. they arnt mad at the dems for courting the GOP moderates, they are mad that they weren't courting the nazis.

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1355690112214962180

wtf

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 26, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Oh wow a triple threat.

Taibbi's a guy I read from time to time but seems like the real reason he hates the media is that he was never getting invited to the good parties.

taibbi makes me sad because he has written some great loving books and articles,(i still recommend "i cant breath" to folks but something happened and his brain crackpinged super hard around when trump got in.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 26, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

The fact that Glen has to gall to chastise AOC for "centering herself in every drama," and also that she should be building bridges with TED. loving. CRUZ. is a new level of sick. The fact that he is implying that Cruz is NOT a white supremacist when he very clearly is is just icing on the cake.

thats what bothers me about the greenwald/coffins/dore/etc types, they think that the far right is some good faith thing or that "maybe the LIBS are lying about them" or whatever. i dont get these assholes obsession with wanting a red-fasch alliance. like they get mad when AOC works with liberal democrats and actually passes some good poo poo but they loving hate her even more because she rebuffed a bad faith monster.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1375274449612771329

can't wait for glenny and the gangs take on this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

tom kite sent me an angry PM all offended that I would call Glenn a fascist just because he's a fascist and to tell me how much Joe Biden hates black people, just thought I would share that with everyone ITT, if I get probed for doxxing his attempt to harass me for being A LIBERAL it'll be the best 6er of my life.

Report it to an admin. They might do something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

I'm sure my favorite authors, like Dave Sim, Varg Vikernes, and Orson Scott Card, are totally fine and I don't need to worry about a thing and it certainly won't hurt to look

who is dave Sim. i know the other assholes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The Cerebus the Aardvark guy. He became a crazy misogynist.

oh so the opposite of that weird online comic dude who became an ultra feminist type and than naturally a hardcore TERF.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Tatsuya Ishida of Sinfest?

Yeah, that weird rear end in a top hat. Sorry forgot the name.

Kavros posted:

Ishida became psychologically and ideologically bizarre in equal measure as he fell into insular, neurotic oldschool radfem TERF worlds. The end product is a weird, paranoid, pointless haze. His product now only occasionally flirts with comprehensibility, even while desperately trying to be a political missive. I took a look at it recently but it's so far gone that it was like he was trying to individually prove horseshoe theory by cracking totally and becoming a gender essentialist reactionary defending mr potato head and dr. seuss from the Woke Mob.

I mean yeah. When you go far enough in the weird vague areas of politics. The two extremes meet. poo poo like new age has lots of overlap of both.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375592444625104897

can i post some michael tracey on here because holy gently caress have a look at this doozy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

Indeed, because of marriage equality I'm seeing men marry penguins and also their brothers. Many people are saying this!

Yeah. I for one want to marry my frogs. It’s consensual because they make mating calls at me. This is clearly the next big thing LGBTQ folks want. Tracey is such a clever man to see it. https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375615719317110789 Have some more. https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375804438670098442 https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375527751764082699

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 27, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Lesbian Bi Gay Toad/frog

https://twitter.com/pengun101/status/1265426502398685184

i am a good landlord.

Beelzebufo posted:

Also, he's wrong on the timeline. I feel like society itself is being gaslit by these takes. The first gender affirming surgeries were developed in the 50's. And while trans people have always been subject to violence from the state and individuals, the explicit legal push to do things like codify bathroom use to assigned birth gender is recent, as in post Obergefell v. Hodges. The things that trans people are currently fighting actually represent an increased attack on their rights from the inadequate place they already existed.

I said before that gay marriage was a conservative compromise position of the American gay rights movement, one that effectively rewrote history so that the more radical demands of the early movement were erased in favour of the more assimilationist, bourgeois motivations it has now. The same is happening in realtime with trans rights, where the backlash to gay marriage against the even more marginalized is being spun as them demanding more, even if a lot of this stuff (like a trans woman using a women's restroom) was literally not even articulated as a concern in the culture 15 years ago.

also i am pretty sure gender affirming surgeries were in Weimar Germany or at least alot of the original ideas and science of it were from there and a little earlier. but i am not an expert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_reassignment_surgery#History

wiki says 1917 was the first primitive one and 1931 was the first full one. gillis in 1951 made the first "standard" one.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Verviticus posted:

this thread has been nice to read regarding greenwald but im still concerned that matt taibbi's being suggests that youre unlucky maybe at 50 your brain just turns into a rock and you are cursed to be a reactionary shithead

I think he just stared into the abyss and his brain cracked hard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, my 68 year old mother supports LGBTQ rights, and yes, that fully includes the T part. Some people are just jerks.

So do my parents. Your mom and my folks are good people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

USA Today dropped an article about 1/6 insurrectionists crowd funding their legal defenses GG sent the mob after one of the three credited journalists - an intern getting her first published story.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I feel like we're reading too much into the guy. After a point you know who is buttering your bread.

I feel like a lot of it is bigotries and narcissistic projection with him. Only he can be the victim and the voice of the “true oppressed”.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have talked about this in terms of the 90s but there are some free speech/freedom of "expression" hardliners because of the whole controversy around naughty lyrics/violent video games that really warped people. I used to think Glenn was one of these, free speech means having to accept ideas we don't like but his slide into nazism and white supremacy really makes me question a lot of the things he has done in the past and that includes the Intercept.

yeah. i mean thats where i used to be. Big "freedom of speech" person because i hated the weird clinton and jack thompson types coming in and trying ban poo poo. i still am when it comes to media and poo poo but gently caress nazis and their fellow travelers, their speech is out and out violence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

If you were a big "freedom of speech" person and not a nazi, you were being used by nazis, at least in part.

well i was in high school. so probably not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

I didn't say you were aware.

You might have been a true believer but you were in there with a lot of Nazis who weren't.

i think free speech hardliner is overselling it. what i mean is my political awakening was loving jack Thompson and such and probably what pushed me toward the left. i had been a good little dumb conservative kid up until dumb video game poo poo and obama and i only got actually interested interested in 2010/2012.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

While I don't think "freedom of speech" is really the right framing for it, there's definitely been a long-running mentality/movement, which often appears superficially "left" or at least "liberal," that's big on "shocking the bourgeoisie" and sees "Mrs. Grundy" or "middle-class hypocrisy" or even "the superego" as the main enemy to be defeated. It sort of links together figures like Bill Maher, R. Crumb, George Carlin, various 19th-century French artists, etc. Much of the time it manifests itself as harmless artistic pretentiousness, and sometimes it can even do some good when repressive social/aesthetic norms really are an important part of the problem, but it's fundamentally amoral, and will aggressively break a good social norm just as easily as a bad one. Even in its more "progressive" forms it's tended to be unthinkingly sexist - notice that it's "Mrs. Grundy," not "Mr. Grundy" (and her Saturday Night Live Counterpart is the Church Lady, not the Church Gentleman, etc.). Over the past decade or so the US left-of-center has thankfully tended to turn against anti-Grundyism, while people like Milo Yiannopoulos have taken anti-Grundyism in a more overtly reactionary direction. But there's still a bunch of passionate anti-Grundyists who thought of themselves as liberal or leftist, like Maher and Taibbi, who didn't make the shift, are left feeling angry and confused, and now come across as the bigots and general assholes that they really were all along.

whats a "mrs grundy"?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah somewhere along the line Nagle went full Chud

yeah, she had an ok point of why some channers went chuddy but from what i remeber she went full bore "well its ALL the WOKES/idpols fault and we need pure strasserism" type poo poo

so the weird twitter prudes who get mad that video games have gore in them or superheroes are thing at all types? because thats who nagal blamed.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 30, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, so the Taibbi/GG poo poo

different strain of it but yeah.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In retrospect, Hillary Clinton platforming Jack Thompson may have been an early warning sign of her actually being an idiot.

The whole violence/tits in video games moral crusades always have been a magnet for the grifters and unhinged outrage peddlers going after the softest possible targets. What you might call the Handmaid's Tale alliance of white feminists and religious right, before the latter completely gave up the pretence. (outside a few particularly out of touch old fucks in Australia)

they never directly worked together but yeah pretty much. its one of the early reasons i never liked her and it never faded. one of the big issues for clinton apart from the politics(obviously) is that she always found stupid ways to make randos dislike her. enough weird nerds grew up with her saying that poo poo didnt help her when she was running. thought to be fair, no one gives a poo poo about being a prude about video games outside weirdos on twitter and sometimes a old boomer politician. that blame game died after sandy hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

There were a lot of Democrats who wanted to crack down on 'violent/offensive media' in the 90s. You had Clinton, Tipper Gore, Joe Lieberman, etc. Thankfully that never went very far and people like Jack Thompson have kind of disappeared into disgrace.

Yeah. It’s also all that stuff is either universally accepted hobbies/media now or the companies/individuals are rich enough to not be hosed with by weird moral nuts, also folks have grown up with rap and video games now. Also gently caress Lieberman.