Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Andrew Sullivan started selling out the rest of the LGBT community the exact moment he wasn't at immediate risk of being fired or clubbed in the streets for being a wealthy gay man, and is now a big name on the front of fighting political correctness and 'cancel culture', defending the free speech of those who want to put trans people in mental wards or in terminally unhappy lives of self-denial.

Didn't think Glenn would take the same road, but also not really surprised.

It's not like he currently lives in Brazil, where trans people are murdered every single day, and where the bigots that assault them post the videos of the beatings on social media because they are proud of it and the law turns a blind eye. Ist it?

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Not to get all mind-reader here, but I do believe that Glenn hates Bolsonaro mostly because he is affiliated with the militia that killed Mariele Franco, an up-and-coming black bisexual politician who was a personal friend and a member of his husband's party.

Otherwise, I'd give it even odds that he'd welcome bozo as a "response against runaway political correctness" or some poo poo like that.

There is no other reason for him to dislike human turds like Augusto Nunes (Well, other than Nunes slapped his face live on air and kept his job) and rub elbows with Tucker Carlson, who is arguably even worse.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
He was literally on Twitter earlier going "HAH! See, all the witch hunters were using the Boulder shootings to talk about non-existent white supremacy, and now it turns out the shooter is a filthy ARAB! Booya!"

I haven't really seen the latest incident described as political extremism, and I hang around very lefty circles. It was mostly the "this keeps happening, we need to do something about guns" talk, mostly.

But that line is not enough to get him on Fox again, apparently.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

tom kite posted:

Am I misinformed or wasn't glenn's reporting responsible for bringing down that corrupt prosecutor and freed Lula?

It's not his reporting. It's by the Intercept, mostly under Leandro Demori.

Glenn has boosted it and helped it reach more people, but he actually had remarkably little penetration and presence in brazilian inside politics. He's also mostly disconnected from the Intercept in the last 2 years, that I know of.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yes. That was the final break, though. He was already gone from hands-off to actually distant before that, for the reason you described. The Intercept is far from perfect, but it does try to steer away from the clickbaiting culture war stuff, and Glenn recently is all about that. He has never been an engaging writer nor a real investigative journalist; just really lucky in that people brought sensitive files to him due to his celebrity.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Taibbi's case is depressing. I actually spoke briefly to him a couple of times.

From what I have gathered, he was doing quite well with his books abd RS columns. I have those books and they are great. His star was on the rise as someone who had a visceral way to call out the bullshit of the powerful, Democratic or Republican. poo poo, first time I ever heard of Bernie Sanders was in his book The Great Derangement.

The supposedly 'liberal' people found his eXile stuff, particularly the book he wrote with Mark Ames, which details a very decadent, bro-ish lifestyle in the Russia od the late 90's and early 2000s: drugs, booze, partying and harrassing women. How much of it is accurate and how much is them playing up the Hunter Thompson angle and selling post-USSR Russia as a modern babylon is up to each one's judgement.

But it was the golden opportunity a lot of the Maddow/Russiagate crowd were waiting to pounce on him, and all the corporations he had pissed off were also happy. This was just as MeToo was just past its peak, but still strong.

So yeah, I can see how he despises the people that crushed his shot while also sweeping Biden's creepiness, or even Cuomo's, under the carpet. I still regret the direction he is taking.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Verviticus posted:

this thread has been nice to read regarding greenwald but im still concerned that matt taibbi's being suggests that youre unlucky maybe at 50 your brain just turns into a rock and you are cursed to be a reactionary shithead

My bioethics teacher was one of the leading prenatal/postnatal surgeons in the country, really freaking rich, though he dressed like a bum and took the subway to campus. He was 74, loved teaching us and taking part of the overnight study sessions we had at the university before finals answering dumb questions by first-year students. Absurdly open-minded and accepting of concepts and changes that people half his age still his stumbling blocks with. He passed from Covid a couple of months ago because he just couldn't imagine not working when the demand for professionals was at its peak.

I think being old makes you a jerk when you realize you didn't get what you wanted in life and start looking for people and things to blame. Taibbi may be making bank, but he wanted more. He knows now he's just Darksyde Phil for a different crowd of paying dorks.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Pretty much. My dad has always been great, but empty nest syndrome and the pandemic keeping him at home exposed to Facebook and reactionary news 7 days a week have had an effect, in conjunction with biases he had from long ago. It's not -bad- yet, but...I am afraid.

Also, last tidbit about my departed teacher. In the class about dealing with trans patients and those who identify asother genders, a student asked him if it didn't feel weird to call in for patient Mario Esteves to come into the consultory and "have a woman walk in and greet him". He just shrugged and said "I spent all my life being forced to call creepy priests Your Holiness and sellout judges Your Honor. I think this is way, way better in every aspect."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Glenn has been quite silent so far on Arkansas passing a law that lets medical stuff refuse to treat trans patients.

Guess it's one of those bonuses that make people just come out as trans to be cool and enjoy all the bennies, as he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

Lol at trying to connect Angela Davis being deplatformed for criticism of Israel as part of the cancel culture trend. Yes indeed, criticism of Israel never got people silenced before this point.

It's not like several states have specifically made support of BDS a borderline crime and passed bills of attainder loving up your business if you do it.

I wish so-called free-speech advocates gave that 5% of the energy the aim at some guy on Twitter telling them to stop humping bad-faith fascists.