Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Somfin posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1377247746156036103

His objection isn't about her. It's about himself and his nazi buddies.

lmao at the mush brained free speech take.

It is absolutely bizzare that people keep trotting this out, because history demonstrates pretty clearly that being *principled* about free speech or whatever does not at all stop people with power from making GBS threads on it when convenient, which leaves the only coherent position that free speech is and always has been a lie and what actually matters is power and the exercise thereof. The assholes aren't going to stop trying to censor people if you do, so the correct solution is to get your side organized and shut them down before they do it to you.

Literally every take that I've ever been exposed to from this guy is just absolutely terrible and I have no idea why anyone likes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I'm admittedly not a youtube or podcast guy so I don't know anything about the ppl who made this video, but I thought it was an interesting analysis of Greenwald's allure to the left, despite him very much not being a leftist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ-lxwBTXUw

Notes as I watch it:

1. Out of context greenwald is wrong, in context he's more wrong but has thought about it, leading to the idea that all we should expect from him is that he "acts in good faith". Why? A good faith moron is still a moron, is it necessary to assume right wing assholes are not acting in good faith? Everyone thinks they are acting in good faith to advance things they actually believe are important, this is not a notable or useful trait at all.

2. Sam seder takes greenwald out of context which the speaker thinks is worse than anything greenwald has said. Then proceeds to play "the context" which... does not in any way refute seder or his co host's views and is in fact even more loving stupid because glenn apparently believes that identifying as trans or NB gives you some sort of institutional power in leftist spaces to just loving mind control people or that there are some magic "codes" that prevent you from disagreeing with people. Again this is still absolutely stupid horseshit and in no way is relevant to the criticism that being trans or NB does not confer special rights and that suggesting that people are asking for special rights hearkens back to the gay panic of previous decades.

Like this is a completely bizzare bit of video editing, taking greenwald out of context is bad, if you listen to the context it would make seder's position untenable, he then provides the context and it in no way does that, this is apparently an argument? Like no there is no argument here, there is just a series of assertions none of which support any of the others, presumably you are supposed to watch them in sequence and this is supposed to resemble an argument if you squint your eyes and tilt your head. Who the gently caress is this idiot?

3. Glenn is actually correct because this one person who works at substack totally got their position by playing the oppression olympics and called greenwald transphobic. Uh ok dude tell me more about the trans conspiracy lol.

I have no idea who this guy is but this video makes him seem like a giant loving moron lol. do I have to watch the second half or is it all as stupid as the first half?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I again do not at all understand this bizzare idea that people seem to be coming up with where being "principled" about free speech somehow gives you power? Or even that the only "principle" you can possibly hold on the subject is free speech absolutism, both of which are just flat out wrong.

And yeah that is a loving ancient take and it's no more correct now than when anyone else has tried to push it. What kind of leftist believes in the magical ability of principles to stand up to raw power? If you want someone to tell you that you can read loving cs lews or some other hack.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if you accepted the position that a pure permissiveness principle is important, it's especially bizzare to argue for today when money can buy you an infinite amount of noise to drown out any permitted leftist message.

The concept is so full of holes you could grate cheese on it. The only way to look at it that makes a lick of sense is that speech is not free, it has never been free, and the question that is most relevant is how can the left effectively fight in an inherently unfree, unprincipled, and potentially imbalanced environment. It is so, incredibly easy to simply understand deplatforming as a tool, a tool that will always be used by someone and which cannot be willed out of existence by principled thought, so the question only then becomes how and when can you use it to your advantage.

That greenwald and his free speech fanclub seem so unwilling to do that either suggests they're idiots or they have some ulterior motive, and I don't really care which it is because in neither case does it seem productive to listen to them.