Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unrelated but lol

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1372604301164613641?s=21
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1372632832879816705?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fighting Trousers posted:

Disclaimer: I am not queer, nor have I made more than a passing study of queer history, but it seems like that a big facet of the 90s mainstreaming of gayness centered on "we're just like you, straights, only we love/are attracted to members of the same sex. We are not a threat!" Making gayness non-threatening meant embracing the gender binary. And I think that for a lot of people, being out meant saying "I am gay; I love men" and really latching on to that in a way that made the gender binary almost a necessity.

(Also, as discussed elsewhere in this thread, you have a lot of well off white gay dudes who really just want to maintain access to their class/white/male privilege, so they're pretty quick to break ranks over intersectional issues)

I feel like this kind of thing might go hand in hand with TERFs, certainly gives me White Feminism vibes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

There's definitely overlap, and it also includes the weird almost sacrilization of gender. A big one I know is things like saying that someone can't be gay if they are in a relationship with a trans-man. Despite all the claims to gay men having a unique "culture" that is somehow harmed by the inclusion of transmen, at the end of the day it always boils down to whether you suck dicks. It might as well be a cult of penis-worship.

I mean, that's patriarchy in a nutshell, the obsession and worship over size and potency and symbols thereof at the expense of literally everything else. Gender essentialism is a special kind of poison.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think it's kind of an occupational hazard with the rockstar reporter persona; he reported on things no one else was because the establishment didn't want people to hear about it, because that's what gets you attention, having someone no one else has from a platform that actually has credibility. Unfortunately that's both an addictive thing and a limited one, there's only so many big scoops to be had... unless you get sucked into the right ring propaganda machine, which is made to present the appearance of doing that on a daily basis. An array of righteous causes and colourful supervillains all with bombastic presentation and shifting just enough to keep your interest, with something for every strain of brainworms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tom kite posted:

Lol I just remembered biden also denied supporting the iraq war

There's a thing with a lot of older and stupid politicians that they haven't really internalised that the internet is a thing. That literally everything they do and say that's captured on camera is available to the entire world at a moment's notice. They still think they can lie freely about what they do and don't support and what they have and haven't said and done, and by the time the fact-checkers catch them out no one will care.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This thread has been one heck of a honeypot.

Attracting brokebrains in D&D isn't exactly a feat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

letthereberock posted:

I get that, it just feels like white-male writers and media figures turning out to be terrible is becoming a really common thing. I don’t even like citing things anymore because I have this irrational fear that I’ll refer to some article for stats on indoor smoking bans or some poo poo only to immediately be hit with “oh you think a guy who says trans people should be put in camps should be a trusted resource for anything!?”

Just assume it's an inevitability sooner or later and get ready to go 'ah poo poo, my bad, let me look for something else'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

I think a lot of these dudes were just the same type of predatory opportunists that infect other leftists movements. They like the acclaim and respect they earn by being the leader of the revolution or w/e, but as soon as the focus shifts beyond them or their comfort zones, they react angrily.

In particular with trans rights, I think a lot of wouldbe progressive men were able to accept the non-threatening narrative of gay and lesbian people as aspirationally straight, but still carry a lot of insecurity about destabilizing masculinity in particular.

Something similar probably goes the same way with would-be progressive women, hence the whole white feminist-to-TERF pipeline. (and both at once with Male Feminists, see the Sinfest guy)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In retrospect, Hillary Clinton platforming Jack Thompson may have been an early warning sign of her actually being an idiot.

The whole violence/tits in video games moral crusades always have been a magnet for the grifters and unhinged outrage peddlers going after the softest possible targets. What you might call the Handmaid's Tale alliance of white feminists and religious right, before the latter completely gave up the pretence. (outside a few particularly out of touch old fucks in Australia)

Panzeh posted:

I think freedom of speech arguments are much more interesting when broken down into more specific, coherent principles like "we need to have a wider space for discussing tactics" or "we need iconoclasts" rather than "everyone should have the right to speak everywhere whenever whatever", the sort of vague libertarian-ish arguments go nowhere because the libertarian uses this formulation to avoid taking any real stances one way or the other.

And to be quite honest, pointing out hypocrisy is a massive waste of time and mostly a moralistic gotcha that assumes politics is a matter of Being the Best Person.

And it's not like it actually matters anyway. The left is targeted on catch-22s meant to discredit them no matter who they are (even if they have to make up poo poo like 'bro-adjacent') and the right and centre just completely ignore it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fishhook theory continues to deliver. Though as said, terminal contrarians tend to end up aligned with fascists sooner or later just because fascists most openly don't give a poo poo about making any sense at all beyond owning the libs.

vvv: see above.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 31, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole point of the 'They're taking it too far!' discourse is that one can swing between a supposed ally of LBGTQ+ people and horribly regressive rhetoric because 'too far' is a personal and ambiguous definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

At best, he's being dangerously, uselessly flippant and stupid. Vulnerable people need and deserve consistent allies and unconditional recognition.