Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

well, this is correct given a hyperspecific and completely unreasonable interpretation of the positions involved, so i'm not surprised to see it advanced

but assange's case pretty clearly rested on his fear of not having a legitimate chance of a fair trial and presumed extradition once he was in the criminal system, which seems to apply both in the UK and in sweden. though i note that they seem content with killing him off in britain due to the legal hassle

He should have faced trial for rape. If you flee trial for rape, you're a piece of garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm not terribly invested in assange's moral character, but i am invested in journalists being killed for doing journalism

the bourgeois state is supposed to guarantee fair trials. when it cannot do this, its ability to provide justice is tainted. this is why it's so important for the evilweasels of the world to pretend that it would've been perfectly safe for assange to go to sweden to face charges, because then the state killing him for doing journalism is somehow justified

You're willing to hand wave away people evading investigations into credible rape accusations. Most people are not.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

as a matter of personal principle i don't like to assert that people have done specific crimes for which they haven't been convicted, especially when they're being persecuted by the full force of anglo-american state power.

1) He could have faced his accusers in court and did not
2) You've literally asserted that Obama was going to have Assange executed.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Papercut posted:

Is there any actual evidence of Greenwald being blacklisted from everywhere but Fox?

Who else would host him?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Free speech crusader Glenn Greenwald thinks a chud Circuit Court Judge who wants to overturn Sullivan is cool and good because she DESTROYED the mainstream media with FACTS and LOGIC in a glorified email forward she submitted as a dissent.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1372941568584335361?s=19

There is literally nothing more important to this man than a list of newspapers he doesn't like getting taken down a peg. Nothing. Everything he says is working backwards from NYT Bad.

Only a complete moron would suggest that the US media is ideologically homogenized.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Terminal autist posted:

Bold assertion when every facet of news media in America is compromised by capital. You couldn't measure the degrees of seperation in ideology between the people that sign Tucker's check or Maddow's.

1) Fox News was literally given as an example as a unique entity separate from the homogenized media.
2) If your idea of "homogenized" means "exists within capitalism" then it's a useless idea and you're talking about something different than everyone else

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

"trans people are actually privileged" is a loving disgusting take.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375592444625104897

can i post some michael tracey on here because holy gently caress have a look at this doozy.

I literally thought he must have been quoting someone else. Holy poo poo

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/31/the-500000-gofundme-charity-campaign-for-wealthy-ex-fbi-official-andrew-mccabe-is-obscene/

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Quotey posted:

Payment processors, banks and card networks should be as neutral as possible. If it's not directly involved with a crime then let it through (I'm sure there's also things like blacklisting chargebackers and poo poo). Some guy at Paypal deciding whether your case or bail is worth funding is abhorrent. Especially Paypal! Remember SA's Katrina issue?

Are you talking about GoFundMe? Why should they be forced to fund racists if they don't want to?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Glen's often a total dickhead, even when he's right.

Part of it is also that he seems to pick and choose when he advocates certain things in such a way that he's almost always defending alt right fascist/racists.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have talked about this in terms of the 90s but there are some free speech/freedom of "expression" hardliners because of the whole controversy around naughty lyrics/violent video games that really warped people. I used to think Glenn was one of these, free speech means having to accept ideas we don't like but his slide into nazism and white supremacy really makes me question a lot of the things he has done in the past and that includes the Intercept.

Glenn is all about the "Free speech means we have to accept ideas we don't like, unless it's journalistic interns talking about the fascist capital rioters for some reason."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

God he's so full of poo poo