Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i always view him as sorta of much shittier Seymour Hersh. both had good articles and did good poo poo BUT than their brains rotted and they believed whatever insane poo poo they heard in the grapevine and believed whatever weird bullshit they heard even when it was clearly not true. i dont think hersh is nazi though so he has a leg up.

That's actually a pretty good take on him. I think he got a pass for so much of his immigration writings and defending Matthew Hale because he was very critical of the Bush admin for the Patriot Act, Iraq, and torture as well as Obama's expansion of the surveillance state. Not to mention the Snowden leaks.

Beyond that, he's always been the very petty, egotistical, and hyperbolic shithead that he is today. He's just not as good as hiding that part of himself anymore. That and he's unable to log the gently caress off of Twitter. Ten years ago he'd just wade into the comment sections on Salon and The Guardian to yell at people but unless you were in there, you didn't notice. Now it's Twitter 24/7 for Glenn with no editors holding him back.

Though I remember about four years ago he made what seemed like a pretty decent attempt to critically examine the issue of Russian interference in the 2016 election without being a complete rear end about it, but that fell apart within a few months and welp, here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Allow them internet but only a single computer with daily challenges over who gets to use it to post dumbass takes on Twitter.

They get internet, but it's Web TV and the keyboard loses signal intermittently. Also the internet doesn't work unless one person stands in a corner facing the wall holding a coat hanger antenna high above their head.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

TheScott2K posted:

Free speech crusader Glenn Greenwald thinks a chud Circuit Court Judge who wants to overturn Sullivan is cool and good because she DESTROYED the mainstream media with FACTS and LOGIC in a glorified email forward she submitted as a dissent.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1372941568584335361?s=19

There is literally nothing more important to this man than a list of newspapers he doesn't like getting taken down a peg. Nothing. Everything he says is working backwards from NYT Bad.

"Wow, this judge seems to hate editors even more than I do. Awesome!"-Glenn, probably.

I do wonder what the end game is for him here, career wise. It's clear he's abrasive whenever he has an editor that doesn't allow him to just write what the gently caress ever and there's only so much time in a day for Tucker Carlson appearances.

I guess Twitter and substack posting for the rest of his days?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

letthereberock posted:

One thing this thread has done to me is made me terrified to dig any deeper into the work or background of a lot of writers I like. Over the years I’ve saved a lot of articles that I periodically go back to. Now all I can think about is that any of these writers could turn out to have turned into alt-right poo poo heads, or be serial harassers, or have some form of toxicity.

Is it ever possible to admire a specific work if you later find that the author is an abhorrent person?

My rule of thumb for authors/actors/directors/etc. that get outed as sex pests/transphobes is that my enjoyment of whatever works they made before I knew they were a shithead is fine and valid to continue to have but with the huge asterisk of "sexpest/transphobe/etc" and to not melt down if someone tells me they can no longer enjoy or appreciate those things because of whatever shittiness the creator is guilty of. I also pretty much write off any of their future work because gently caress that.

Also I think in people like Glenn's case, it's not a single incident that he could presumably apologize for or move on, it's years at this point of being a petty and toxic shithead amongst other things. I can still appreciate the solid work he and Laura Poitras did in bringing Snowden's leaks to light but recognize that he's otherwise a massive transphobic shithead now (and probably always was) and that a broken clock is right twice a day.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Glenn Yelled at an Inter-

Oh it's been posted twice already.

Well in any case, what a colossal dickhead move. It's pretty rich too that he's trying to paint the insurrectionists as a group of poor and impoverished citizens needing to fundraise for their defenses because they were unfairly targeted with criminal charges. :jerkbag:

EDIT: some actual content. I was only vaguely familiar with Greenwald's defense of Matthew Hale and while I still stand by the idea that everyone deserves adequate and competent legal representation, I think Glenn might have taken it a bit further than he needed to the more I read about it. This thread was pretty :stare:

https://twitter.com/DavidNeiwert/status/1130534973902020608

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At best, he's being dangerously, uselessly flippant and stupid. Vulnerable people need and deserve consistent allies and unconditional recognition.

Pretty much. Being a broken clock on trans rights isn't deserving of an atta boy nor does it make you an ally.