Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

One thing this thread has done to me is made me terrified to dig any deeper into the work or background of a lot of writers I like. Over the years I’ve saved a lot of articles that I periodically go back to. Now all I can think about is that any of these writers could turn out to have turned into alt-right poo poo heads, or be serial harassers, or have some form of toxicity.

Is it ever possible to admire a specific work if you later find that the author is an abhorrent person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Astrochicken posted:

It's a lot easier if you assume everyone is a human being and work your way from there.

I get that, it just feels like white-male writers and media figures turning out to be terrible is becoming a really common thing. I don’t even like citing things anymore because I have this irrational fear that I’ll refer to some article for stats on indoor smoking bans or some poo poo only to immediately be hit with “oh you think a guy who says trans people should be put in camps should be a trusted resource for anything!?”

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

The Cerebus the Aardvark guy. He became a crazy misogynist.

Tbf he was a misogynist the whole time, it’s just easier to ignore for the first several volumes before he gets into the hardcore “woman is the void that devours male light” stuff.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1375592444625104897

can i post some michael tracey on here because holy gently caress have a look at this doozy.

https://twitter.com/shvartacus/status/1096871228390789120?s=21

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

It’s just a repackaging of the old anti-gay marriage chestnut, “gay people have the same right to marry someone of the opposite sex as straight people do!”

When you see rights that you yourself will never need to exercise as being “special” rights for the people who will, it’s easy to see every minority group as demanding extra rights.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Quotey posted:

No- things like Stripe, Paypal, Apple Pay, Visa, Mastercard. In the article:

Regular people don't really get to choose how money is moved around, so they shouldn't be discriminated against. God help you if Visa decides to gently caress with you.

1-It’s probably a bad idea to let these companies be the arbiters of who gets to crowdfund a legal defense and who doesn’t; even if that makes it easier for Nazis to get good lawyers

2-GG is a real piece of poo poo for attacking someone simply for reporting on this.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Being a Nazi or Nazi sympathizer doesn't require him to goose-step and wear a swastika armband, dude. A simple examination of Greenwald's body of work shows him to be an intellectually dishonest, terminal contrarian who spent so long defending Nazis that he became one himself.

If you think about it, Hitler killed a lot of Nazis - so I guess you can’t call him one.

(No, GG is not as bad as Hitler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Somaen posted:

Glenn is so left-wing that he's essentially a Stalinist. Even antifa is those fuckin' libs for him

Ah yea, Facebook and YouTube, where liberals dominate and nary a conservative in sight.