Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm not a GG stan, but I do find his Posting Energy entertaining in a sort of trashy way. I think his comments on trans issues and racism in the US have been ~problematic~ or alarmingly naive at best...

BUT

I also think there's more to why he's popular among some online leftists than just "owning the libs at all costs". From what I gather, GG is a hardcore liberal, but more in a classical sense and would I guess be called a libertarian in the US. Unlike Carlson or other RWM pundits, he's not just a charlatan that will do & say whatever it takes to own the libs; he's uncompromisingly principled in his belief in Liberal values, namely individual freedoms.

This sets him at odds with the neoliberal establishment of US politics and culture, which includes the dominant centrist wing of the Dem party and the vanishing center-right wing of the GOP. GG's valid critiques of neoliberalism (e.g. imperialism, domestic surveillance, corporate control of the press, superficial adoption of id-pol, etc.) aren't motivated by leftist ideology, and the extent at which they're concordant with leftist critiques is effectively coincidental.

In a better world, we wouldn't need someone as ~problematic~ as GG to be a leading voice of neoliberal criticisms; it would be better if that voice was coming from an actual leftist, rather than from a glorified libertarian shitposter. But unfortunately that's not the world we live in, and I think it would be foolish to answer the question of "why is GG popular [among some online leftists]?" while ignoring the exclusion of strong voices critical of the neoliberal establishment in mainstream press and focusing only on his 'owning the libs' shitpost energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

sean10mm posted:

What? There are tons of prominent critics of neoliberalism who are nowhere near as lovely as GG.

Plus GG is really a fringe figure at this point anyway, he's not really the vanguard of anything in 2021. For the most part people who aren't part of the extremely online fringe like us have no goddamn idea who he is. Or he's just "that dickhead on Fox" in an ocean of dickheads who go on Fox News.

Who would you list as prominent critics of neoliberalism in the mainstream US media?

I’m not sure GG is more fringe than any other journalist in the US, which is more of a reflection of the low awareness/engagement with journalism among the general public than it is of GG’s fringeness. I wouldn’t call him the vanguard of anything either though.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm admittedly not a youtube or podcast guy so I don't know anything about the ppl who made this video, but I thought it was an interesting analysis of Greenwald's allure to the left, despite him very much not being a leftist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ-lxwBTXUw

e: lol at seeing the thumbnail after i posted it

Sanguinia posted:

If you lend credibility to fascists and their platforms and their agenda in order to maintain your principles in Liberal values, you are a charlatan because those values in incompatible with the people who you're giving credibility to. Glenn is not some bastion of leftist ideals, he's a hack. He lauds and befriends open white supremacists and actual nazis while attacking Liberals and even actual Leftists, that is not principled criticism, its an agenda. He has leftist credibility and he uses it to empower the worst human beings in the world, including people who want him dead for being gay.

That's why I say Glen is a nazi. Not for rhetorical flourish, not for a gag. He uses power from whatever source he can get it completely cynically to increase his own power and wealth and to attack people he deems lesser than himself for being outsiders to his ideology. That's fascism.

I think this is a pretty broad way of defining nazi, and I have a hard time understanding how this definition wouldn't lead you to calling all liberals nazis/fascists. Which is an argument that some ppl on this site will make, but I suspect that it's not what you're intending. Completely agree that Glenn is not some bastion of leftist ideals, that was literally my point.

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, what? He’s way more fringe than anyone who regularly appears on say, the PBS Newshour or other evening news shows on broadcast tv. Easily.

Or the hosts of Morning Edition or All Things Considered.

Yeah but the person I was responding to was using "no one has any idea who this person is" as the metric for fringiness, and I strongly suspect that ppl on PBS Newshour or NPR aren't going to have much name recognition with the general public either. GG is a Pulitzer winning journalist that has been associated with major mainstream outlets, so I think it's fair to say he's a prominent figure in the media even if that doesn't mean he's a household name.

And ultimately it's kind of beside the point I was trying to make -- you're not getting a ton of criticism of neoliberalism on NPR or PBS. And I'm saying this as someone that listened to NPR daily and loved it, in pre-Covid times. If you're looking for neoliberal criticism, you don't have to go too far into the fringes to find GG, and I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think there are a lot of leftists with the same type of prominence, hence GG's popularity*.

*in addition to his shitposting energy, which i find simultaneously off-putting and entertaining

e:

kartikeya posted:

Why the gently caress are you typing ~problematic~ like that?

Only meant to do it once, to be tongue in cheek about using a term that i think has kind of ~jumped the shark~. Hope that clears it the gently caress up!

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 1, 2021