Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Neurolimal posted:

He also has a friendship with Tucker Carlson that encourages him to go on when he gets the chance.

It's shockingly easy to NOT have a friendship with an open white supremacist.

Unless, you know, you ARE a white supremacist.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

A sexpest is someone who sexually harasses or assaults, and rape qualifies under assault. It's not beating around the bush, it's attempting to avoid semantics with a catchall "this person is awful in a sexual nature".

https://web.archive.org/web/20190502114026/https://www.aklagare.se/en/nyheter--press/media/the-assange-matter/chronology/

ctrl-f has "rape" show up 8 times. Rape was a specific allegation with a definite legal meaning. "Sex pest" is a vague term with no legal meaning that can encompass a wide range of lesser offenses, or even things that are *bad* and *should be crimes* but aren't.

"Attempting to avoid semantics" is an interesting way to characterize avoiding calling out the specific, documented allegations in favor of using terminology that's more vague and euphemistic.

e: And no I don't thirst for whistleblower death so let's nip that poo poo in the bud right at the jump. I want the guy punished for any actual crimes he committed, not making the CIA feel bad and dumb (which they are.)

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 18, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The contrast between the mostly sane Greenwald chat and the batshit insane Assange chat is interesting.

Greenwald is constantly online and is also on Fox News and regularly says bad and dumb poo poo now, so people who liked what he did in his heyday are getting pretty comfortable going :stare: and backing away slowly. Nobody seems to find it that hard to separate his whistleblower-related activities from his general, overall shittiness in 2021.

With Assange it seems like the well is so thoroughly poisoned already that despising someone credibly accused of rape, or thinking whistleblowing government crimes is actually cool and shouldn't be persecuted, is actually a coded reference to something filtered through a decade of posting feuds and conspiracy theories, so nothing anybody posts can be taken at face value but has to have some double-secret bad faith subtext to it.

Neurolimal posted:

They did try extradite him. They were rebuffed in the courts, which is a good thing.

I think they're talking about the period BEFORE he went into the embassy.

Everyone seems to be mixing up their timelines willy-nilly without even mentioning the year they're talking about though so I'm not 100% sure.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

paul_soccer12 posted:

didnt say he was in america, i said he was extradited, which i misstated. They attempted to extradite using, in part, the espionage act

the UK judge, as I understand, denied it because he was mentally unwell and the fact that he would be tortured in an american prison being a human rights violation

Wait what?

paul_soccer12 posted:

holy poo poo how are you this misinformed

he was arrested the second he stepped out the front door of the ecuadorian embassy in london and then sent to america where there had been a sealed indictment the whole time

:thunk:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yep. its such a weird loving outlook. like i genuinely don't understand glenns weird complex. "oh hey a fellow reporter is getting harassed horribly by dickhead nerds and tech touchers for reporting on hosed up condictions and culture poo poo in tech, maybe i can help he because i also broke a big story about tech and awfulness and got harrased for it and she could use an ally, NAAAAH clearly she is an piece of poo poo who is trying to be a victim unlike me who is the truest victim" or "hey trans and nonbinary folks get alot of horrific abuse in their lives and online and many are trying to speak out about it, as a gay man, maybe i could try to help them by giving them a platform or uplifting voices since i live in a country run by a facist rear end in a top hat who would kill me for my sexuality, hmmm, NAAHHH, I'll whine and poo poo on them with other assholes and American fascists' because I am the REAL VICTIM, now to go on tucker and agree with all his stuff and talk about the evil trans people who want to get rid of gay men like myself and when i get called on it, i'll cry that i am the victim".

yeah victim culture exists and its not the actual victims doing it.

Glenn is a narcissist, trans people aren't him so they don't matter, and people caring about them instead of him is wrong.

His views make sense if you realize he's just hugely self centered. Everything is filtered through how it affects him personally.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

At this point GG is just a loud and proud transphobe who shouldn't be signal boosted on Something Awful.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Slanderer posted:

You could simply block him on twitter, if you like defending US wars and the erosion of free speech this much. Personally I think it's good to have a single voice on the biggest cable network occasionally doing this things, since no one else is (or at least not when their party is in power). It is incredibly unhealthy to have this kind of weird parasocial relationship with a blogger where you actively hate someone you follow by your own choice

Should be easy to quote them doing that if this is what they actually said, and not a strawman.

It looks like they say they hate him for being a transphobe, which you keep ignoring.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So to be clear, it's fair game in D&D to signal boost anybody who's an overt transphobe bigot in goddamn 2021 as long as it lets me score a sweet :iceburn: on my posting enemies? Because that sure seems to be the takeaway from all this.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just speaking in general,, if there is anything loving dumber than supposed leftists flirting with fash-y poo poo I can't think of anything. It only makes sense if their leftist ideals never went beyond gently caress YOU DAD.

Motherfuckers, if the fash get their way you'll get Night of the Long Knives'd the moment it's convenient.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Greenwald likes fascists unless they inconvenience him personally, because above all else he's an absolute narcissist with no actual principles.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Can you explain how freeing Lula also requires being an anti-trans bigot? Or are you just doing a drive by as well?

Also anti immigrant (unless it's themselves of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

In a better world, we wouldn't need someone as ~problematic~ as GG to be a leading voice of neoliberal criticisms; it would be better if that voice was coming from an actual leftist, rather than from a glorified libertarian shitposter. But unfortunately that's not the world we live in

What? There are tons of prominent critics of neoliberalism who are nowhere near as lovely as GG.

Plus GG is really a fringe figure at this point anyway, he's not really the vanguard of anything in 2021. For the most part people who aren't part of the extremely online fringe like us have no goddamn idea who he is. Or he's just "that dickhead on Fox" in an ocean of dickheads who go on Fox News.