Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
He exists as a cautionary tale to show people when they believe the enemy of their enemy is automatically their friend.

He is poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I won't claim I was exceptionally well informed about his various questionable dealings, but apart from that one decent thing he did, I always had the sense he was just a bit off. And it's been exceptionally gratifying to see that my mostly-unfounded opinion was essentially correct.

Sometimes you just get the distinct feeling that something isn't right.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Reducing it to the basics, the whole Greenwald/Snowden/Wikileaks things really comes down to the following question: "can bad people do good things?"

And, naturally, they can, and they (in this one case) did. They are still bad people overall, and the fact that they did a single good thing should not be given excess weighting over the bad things they've done before and since. Good people can also do bad things, and we shouldn't give them a pass on that either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Has anyone in the history of humanity ever said "yes, I decided to transition for the untold societal benefits of being identifiably transgender?"

My intuition is "no." Pretty much anyone I can think of who transitioned to obtain any benefits beyond being happier with themselves did so with the knowledge that being outed would mean terrible things (and did so in response to a sexist society).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BougieBitch posted:

Because, god willing, Glenn Greenwald will eventually stop being newsworthy once he is done burning all his bridges.

Actual answer - not really sure, but I think there's a pretty finite amount of discussion you can have about a single person (or two people) before you've exhausted all topics. If this thread was going to be permanent it would probably get folded into, like, the libertarian thread or some kind of larger "media meta thread" or something

You'd think this, but he keeps tweeting new, dumb poo poo to discuss, because he's both incredibly stupid and very hateful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, my 68 year old mother supports LGBTQ rights, and yes, that fully includes the T part. Some people are just jerks.

Same with my parents. I'm sick of people making excuses for assholes. Some people are just willfully loving mean and stupid, it's a conscious choice they made, and it's not dementia or lead poisoning or being old or anything else that "causes" them to be assholes.