Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eeepies posted:

:psyduck: :psyduck: Radiance in first try??? :psyduck: :psyduck:

What did you expect after that pretty good NKG run?

Alxprit posted:

The message I took away from the ending initially was that this game was saying that Dark is Good and Light is Bad, which is a fun situation to be in for once.

I dont think thats true for reasons shown in the godhome.
The void/dark is some kind of primal force that the hallownest bugs worshipped or at least venerated long before the game happens and possibly long before the moths started worshipping THE LAMP.

But the cosmology is a bit of a mess in hollow knight since theres so many overlapping concepts.
What are higher beings? Wyrms? SOUL? Why do things linger in dreams and why do dreams have power?
Do bugs have sapience without being 'uplifted' by a higher being?

All things that are only ever vaguely addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
In terms of where we go.

I want to show the Godhome ending, whatever that may be. I don't obviously know what the best way to tackle it is going to look like.

If it seems doable with a week of practice then we'll extend the LP to cover it within regular episodes. If not then we're probably going to try to end this week and have Godhome and The Path of Pain as streams on the channel.

Mainly we want to be ready ahead of Metroid Dread's release at the end of October and in an ideal world we want to fit It Takes Two in as a cooldown LP for the intermission.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Doing the Radiance first try is up there with doing the Pale Flower quest on the first try as the most impressive things you've accomplished in this game. I'm really looking forward toi you tackling Godhome, I think you can do it, unlike most of us mere mortals.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
Came to this thread after finishing the game myself because I wanted more Hollow Knight. Figures I'd get here near the end, haha.

It's fascinating seeing how different playthroughs of this game are. Hell, I didn't find the tram pass or kingdom's edge until after I beat the Hollow Knight the first time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Uumuu in Godhome used to be significantly more bullshit - it had at least as much health as it does in the game and I don't think it summoned as many jellies either. It got retuned to fit in a bit better with the challenge levels of the others. I feel like it would have worked fine to just put Quirrel in there though, rather than do this alternative thing.

Sly is an excellent boss fight. Just such a fun moveset to fight against.

And the Eternal Ordeal is a fantastic easter egg, I love it so much. Don't think I ever managed to get further than around the point you did there, though. Not a lot of opportunities to heal.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like to think that the player's experience fighting Sly is how all the other bosses feel about fighting the Knight. Just a tiny little gently caress who zips around like a maniac and slaps you across the pavement.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im ahead due to the patreon but jesus christ tea look what you’ve created

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Issuing a slight correction here - Grimm's body will TINK your nail while he's doing pufferfish. Spells like the scream and beam will do damage though.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im ahead due to the patreon but jesus christ tea look what you’ve created

It was really weird watching Nat finally go back to fight the Hollow Knight again and actually struggle slightly, on his way to oneshot the Radiance. Cause I'd fought the Hollow Knight so many times by then I knew his routine inside out and was like, "man I could do this fight so much better", it was such a rare unusual feeling lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The number of Zotes to kill in order to "complete" The Eternal Ordeal is, of course, 57. It can be done!

E: Also GPZ in Godhome has all of the moves that he would eventually get if you kept fighting him in Bretta's house, but his damage doesn't scale the way that I think it does there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 24, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You're gonna need a bigger Zote.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
Delivering the delicate flower after the sidequest is easy, it doesn't do autosave shenanigans after, so you can just plop on the nearest bench to your target, grab a flower from the grave and then reload.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Quackles posted:

You're gonna need a bigger Zote.

:golfclap:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Great Nailsage Sly has a cute little trivia: He's using the Nailmaster's Glory badge, because his nail arts only have a .2 second charge-up compared to the half-second of Oro, Mato, and Sheo.

Knowing this doesn't help you beat the Yoda-rear end bastard, of course.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

You skipped the other ending from the void heart vs black egg that tea was trying to take you to by having you NOT.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Seems pretty anti-climactic to shoot for that on purpose first time, though. Just following through in the cool big moment when Hornet shows up is the way to go.

The "sit on your rear end not dream nailing" ending is just a little variant, really.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I practiced Sly for an hour and change, made absolutely no progress in figuring him out, and decided I was satisfied with 110% completion, a 5h speedrun completion and a steel soul 100% completion. I love this game but I don't love twitchy precision fights like nkg or yoda enough to grind practice what's left at this point.

I know you can do 112%, you god-gamer you. Also, re: completion, let me add a correction to what Tea said: You don't need to beat stronger Zotes, the Eternal Ordeal or finish the Bestiary for that extra 2%,. Spoiler for what you have to do (no explicit names given) beat pantheon 3 & the mysterious last boss the statue said was left.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Beating Sly on my first attempt was the only time I ever got close to Nat-esque savantness in this game where almost every other difficult boss took me steady repeated practice to overcome. Needless to say I felt vindicated for every “you made that look so goddamn easy” moment to date.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Quick tip for Uumuu: because the jellyfish enemies will get knocked back slightly when they die, you can use that hit to bat them into Uumuu. No need to get it on the rebound.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Full binding stream? Or/and radiant fights? Nat's proved he's good, but godhome always has more challenges to offer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Full binding stream? Or/and radiant fights? Nat's proved he's good, but godhome always has more challenges to offer.

I don't know what the first thing is, but definitely no radiant fights. At the point where you just get oneshot I don't really feel like they're fun any more.

So much of what's cool about combat in this game is how you're able to do things like leverage your health or knowledge that you can regen for more damage by tanking. Or alternatively how you can alter your strategy at low health to try and stall for the next healing window.

There's certainly something cool about never getting hit but it feels much more in the purview of speedrunners rather than a Blind LPer such as myself.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I'm so glad you showed off the Eternal Ordeal, I love that ridiculous fight. :allears:

And yep, you unlock a boss in the Hall of Gods once you've encountered it in a pantheon or defeated it in the regular game. I actually used that to complete the Hunter's Journal: I was missing God Tamer, because I could never reach the end of the Trial of the Fool. But you can enter the third pantheon without having encountered God Tamer (she's an exception from the normal pantheon unlocking rules), so I played through the first part of that pantheon to unlock her in the Hall and then just played the fight there until I managed to beat her.

Dareon posted:

Great Nailsage Sly has a cute little trivia: He's using the Nailmaster's Glory badge, because his nail arts only have a .2 second charge-up compared to the half-second of Oro, Mato, and Sheo.

Knowing this doesn't help you beat the Yoda-rear end bastard, of course.

I don't think he's using the charm, I think he's just that good and equipping Nailmaster's Glory makes you as good as he is.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Natural 20 posted:

I don't know what the first thing is, but definitely no radiant fights. At the point where you just get oneshot I don't really feel like they're fun any more.

So much of what's cool about combat in this game is how you're able to do things like leverage your health or knowledge that you can regen for more damage by tanking. Or alternatively how you can alter your strategy at low health to try and stall for the next healing window.

There's certainly something cool about never getting hit but it feels much more in the purview of speedrunners rather than a Blind LPer such as myself.

Fair enough.

The pantheons give you the option of disabling charms, limiting nail damage, reducing masks, and holding more than one use of soul, or any combination thereof. Full bindings can be a slog, and you probably wouldn't enjoy the charm or soul ones for similar reasons to the radiant fights, if not as extreme.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the humming music in that last fight is amazing

wouldn't you need to kill 57 zotes? one for each of his motto things?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It actually wasn't the grave of the Traitor's Child back there, it was Cloth's grave! It has her club laid out in front of it and everything.

:(

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
You'll note that the Pure Vessel didn't scream like other bosses: its 'scream' was silent. After all, being Pure, it has no voice to cry suffering.
That boss battle also has one of my favourite songs in the game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35pUQDrKy5A
(As always with youtube, don't look through the comments if you don't want spoilers.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pure Vessel is so drat cool.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well, you've finally reached content I was never able to get to!

Pure Vessel is pretty awesome.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The ease with which you’ve sailed through the game never ceases to impress me!

Also, gotta say, for a moment Tea’s sound effects this episode made me wonder if he was working on a particularly challenging poo while watching the stream.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hi hello welcome to the best boss fight in the game. No I will not be taking any questions at this time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pure Vessel looks fun though.

I bet Nat will enjoy this fight.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Welp, now we're getting into the realm of what could have been.

Imagine if our Knight had been the Vessel instead of that one. Imagine if the seal had held.

Imagine if the Pale King had known that you could fight the Radiance within a dream.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
So, funny thing about Sly's second phase, the distance between you and him after each spin is just the right length for a nail art. Once you figured that out, the second phase is much easier to handle.

Also, ascended Markoth is prob one of the most difficult / hated bosses in the game.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 26, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

Hi hello welcome to the best boss fight in the game. No I will not be taking any questions at this time.

Impossible.

It's not Sisters of Battle.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The true way to play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKunxVcLv9g

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey guys new episode is up but I'm limited by my rampant alcoholism.

I'll create a link as soon as I can.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

It's up on the YouTube channel, and re: Nosk and Mantis Lords, you might not have found them yet but if you open a new save file on Godseeker mode, all of the bosses in the hall are unlocked. If for whatever reason you never find them on this run, you can always pop in and check them out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.