Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You can double tap the d pad to dash in the MMX games, and if you map shoot to Y and jump to B (that might be the default but just in case it isn't) you can easily shoot/hold a charge shot, dash and jump all at the same time without doing a claw grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Personally I'd drop the soul gain charm and use long nail, but that's just me. The extra soul you get from it doesn't amount to much, especially when you're good enough at the game to have got past Hornet without dying.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It is useful for the hadoken spam, though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

True, but which thing do you use the most, the hadoken, or the nail?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nat's at like 50/50..

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

tbh I'm actually really happy he is using the magic because so many people ignore it as an option (me included) when it's actually really strong and useful.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alxprit posted:

tbh I'm actually really happy he is using the magic because so many people ignore it as an option (me included) when it's actually really strong and useful.

Yeah, I've been really happy to see the magic get used so much. I had a bad habit of treating my mana pool as just a backup health bar (and thus afraid to cast any spells since I'd be spending precious survivability) rather than the use-it-or-lose-it resource Nat 20 treats it as. I look forward to seeing what he does with magic once the options open up more.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Like Tea pointed out in the video there's lots of really great details in the level art of this game. Some people say that it looks like a Flash game and I don't think they're totally wrong, but a lot of love and care went into the detailing for these areas.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Um... no. It looks nothing like a flash game. This is a magnimonious troll. I am triggered and spouting Fanta.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Did Yorkshire Tea just assign the game's plot as homework? :allears:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Regarding concerns about only getting an hour a week's playtime, I know you guys might only have an hour or so each week to play this (and if so, ignore me), but if you did have more time I certainly wouldn't object to longer videos if you wanted to have longer play sessions to really stick your teeth into. It's been really enjoyable so far.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fungal Wastes rocks, really good music and lots of environmental storytelling if you know what you're looking for. Also Cloth is the best.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I... think I may have managed to play through this entire game without ever knowing that the charm shop existed :stare:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I think Nat is doing a pretty good job of attempting to put the lore together given the amount of information that's been presented at this point, which is not much.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

What's that shiny white thing in Queen's Station that Nat has been avoiding like the plague? It doesn't look like one of the statues that just gives you soul meter.

Also I'm extremely dumb and can't figure out things that don't just tell you the story. Hell, Nat's theory about the world being a memory is better than anything I can come up with in regards to the plot. I'm not saying I necessarily need a story to tell me everything up front, I like when there's hints of things to come, but I don't like just "Here, figure it out yourself, we can't be assed to explain it."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Twelve by Pies posted:

What's that shiny white thing in Queen's Station that Nat has been avoiding like the plague? It doesn't look like one of the statues that just gives you soul meter.

This might not be easily visible depending on the video's resolution, but there's a closed gate in front of the shiny white thing, so he can't get it currently, and will need to find another way round. You're right that it's not a soul statue.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also I'm extremely dumb and can't figure out things that don't just tell you the story. Hell, Nat's theory about the world being a memory is better than anything I can come up with in regards to the plot. I'm not saying I necessarily need a story to tell me everything up front, I like when there's hints of things to come, but I don't like just "Here, figure it out yourself, we can't be assed to explain it."

To be fair I wouldn't expect anyone to know the actual lore and story of this game this early in. There's a certain area later on that spells it out a lot more clearly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the little bit of exposition you get after beating Hornet might as well be complete gibberish on a first playthrough. One thing you can connect easily is the ghosts' faces and where else you saw them, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 8, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Reveilled posted:

This might not be easily visible depending on the video's resolution, but there's a closed gate in front of the shiny white thing, so he can't get it currently, and will need to find another way round. You're right that it's not a soul statue.

Nah not the video resolution, just my inability to see things. :v: I had no idea a gate was blocking it.

I saw a video the other day that Youtube recommended that would have spoiled a pretty major thing and I would be angry about it if I cared about spoilers (or if I thought Nat would do the same thing, which I'm sure he wouldn't). It's kind of irritating that that happens to people who do care about spoilers though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Twelve by Pies posted:

I saw a video the other day that Youtube recommended that would have spoiled a pretty major thing and I would be angry about it if I cared about spoilers (or if I thought Nat would do the same thing, which I'm sure he wouldn't). It's kind of irritating that that happens to people who do care about spoilers though.

Yeah, there've been a large number of LPs I've been following where someone said "Hey, be mindful of related videos, chances are good it'll spoil the last boss in the thumbnail."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nat, keep using that hadouken to your heart's content.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think Nat's basic nail and movement skills are sufficient for most challenges. By the time he gets to the really crazy poo poo, he'll be ready.

...I want to talk about an upcoming upgrade, which I am 90% sure he gets in the next video, which is already recorded and merely awaiting upload/release. ...I can wait a couple days to get the thought out.

In other news, I just bought the game myself. Figured I've gotten enough fun out of watching other people play that the developers deserve my money. I'm just past Hornet and I've already died three times (Twice to her, once to the giant club-bug just before False Knight).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Everyone's been really impressed Nat hasn't died yet in this LP and I feel like part of the reason is he's making use of the tools the game's given him, trying to get him to not use the hadouken would probably make him more likely to die.

Plus, as has been said, if the soul meter is full, you might as well use it, since it's effectively being "wasted" when you attack enemies with a full meter.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This is very refreshing after witnessing Nat's "how do I Space Jump" Metroid LPs.

How the hell are you this accurate with the Hollow Knight but can't Space Jump in Fusion? (No comments on Super because I didn't play it and it is seemingly a pain)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Speaking of melee stuff, I just noticed for the first time that the nail strikes here remind me a hell of a lot of the Crissaegrim/Valmanway from Igavania games.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

The impression I'm getting is Tea is trying to get Nat to have the exact same experience he had without using hadokens, but everyone plays different holmes

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I think his point of view has merit. Soul isn't always readily available.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's definitely a case to be made where if you only learn to fight an enemy with soul shots, you're going to run out when you have to fight several of them in a row.

But at the same time there is clearly no harm in using them liberally. Using one health's worth as an attack to avoid taking three health's worth in damage in a sword fight is a good outcome.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Longclaw charm is great, I think I rolled with attack range extension for the entire game. It make pogo-ing more forgiving as well.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
There's definitely also merit in learning early on that hadoken-ing is a reliable way to quickly nuke stuff in fights with multiple enemies. Soul is pointless if it isn't used. If he gets hard walled by something later that really punishes not using the nail effectively, that's perfectly fine, and is also part of the Hollow Knight experience.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hollow Knight has fully embraced the power of the Satsui no Hado.

Now i just need to see if inputting a Raging Demon does anything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There are definitely OP things to be done in HK, but just throwing some hadoukens isn't one of them. If anything it's a testament to Nat's ability to not get hit that he has the soul to spare.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mostly played similar to Tea as in I also used soul for healing almost exclusively, but like others I'm enjoying watching a different, more spell-heavy playstyle than my own and most blind LP's. If only because watching Nat have to adjust later on in the way Tea seems to be trying to make him avoid having to do will be interesting. It's usually different for everyone, but everyone eventually comes across an encounter that is just an Absolute Bastard toward their style of play, and since the spell-heavy style isn't one I've really watched before (outside of ridiculous speedruns n'poo poo) I'm curious to see which one will be Nat's first Absolute Bastard Encounter.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah, exactly. Maybe Nat will eventually hit that wall, but I don't think Tea should be trying to nudge him toward a particular playstyle, just let Nat figure it out imo. Nat has a lot of the basic down already anyway, especially pogo jumping.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Nat not dying yet makes every video so suspenseful

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'll happily eat my words if wrong, but I reckon first death is soon now :allears:

and I don't mean Team Cherry "soon"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well, poo poo.