Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

This video shows my favorite little detail in Hollow Knight: the care taken with the announcements of area names. When you move around, you normally get a small title card in the corner of the screen when you cross a border and go into another area. But the first time you enter an area, that title card doesn't appear. Instead you get a fullscreen announcement of the area name, but not until you've gone deeper into the area. The hallway beyond the large gate and the building it leads into are both part of the City of Tears, but it's not until you've reached that last elevator and descended to the ground level of the City that the name appears. If you first enter the City through another route and only later pass through the gate, you get the small title card as soon as you go through the gate.

You can see the same effect in video 4: the room in which you fight the Baldur is part of Greenpath, not Forgotten Crossroads, but you have to defeat the Baldur and move deeper into Greenpath before the area's name appears.

Regarding the damage value of the nail upgrade: it's actually a bit tricky to figure out exactly how much it increases your damage, because some enemies have slightly lower health when you don't have a nail upgrade. This is presumably to ensure that they are not too tedious to fight if you encounter them without upgrades. The walking guards are one of these enemies, which is why they go from five hits to four rather than five to three like the flying guards. (There are no major spoilers here, just some technical details of the health-and-damage system, so it should be fine for Natural 20 to read. I just put it in a spoiler block to be on the safe side.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Two deaths on the first phase and zero on the second phase. drat, that's impressive.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I love Yorkshire Tea's increasing exasperation at Nat's ability to sight read and defeat bosses on the first attempt. :allears:

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

There is actually a way to find the last few pieces of essence! If you leave the room and come back, the Whispering Root resets and you have to dream nail it again to respawn the essence you haven't collected. When you do, the essence first appears right next to the root and then moves away, and you can look at the direction it moves to find out roughly where it is. (You can also do this the first time you dream nail a root, it's just not very useful as the essence is usually spread over the entire room.)

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Can't believe that Nat didn't want to go through the 57 Precepts for episode 57. Impressive boss fight, though -- Zote can be quite a pain because of how unpredictable he is.

I'm sure Tea already has a list of things to do in the postgame, but here's two more I hope you can find the time for: Bringing a flower to Elderbug (probably easiest to do before completing the quest), and the Eternal Ordeal in Godhome. I really want to see Nat's reaction to the Eternal Ordeal.

Also, some charm combinations that are worth showing:
Shape of Unn with Spore Shroom or Baldur Shell or both.
Shape of Unn with Deep Focus, if you pick that one up.
Glowing Womb with Defender's Crest, if you pick up Glowing Womb.
Flukenest with Defender's Crest.
Also just Flukenest, Weaversong and Glowing Womb on their own.

AtomikKrab posted:

So what is Joni's connection with that thing?

She's called a heretic in the description for Joni's Blessing, so perhaps she worshipped it instead of whatever gods it would be "proper" for her to worship?

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm so glad you showed off the Eternal Ordeal, I love that ridiculous fight. :allears:

And yep, you unlock a boss in the Hall of Gods once you've encountered it in a pantheon or defeated it in the regular game. I actually used that to complete the Hunter's Journal: I was missing God Tamer, because I could never reach the end of the Trial of the Fool. But you can enter the third pantheon without having encountered God Tamer (she's an exception from the normal pantheon unlocking rules), so I played through the first part of that pantheon to unlock her in the Hall and then just played the fight there until I managed to beat her.

Dareon posted:

Great Nailsage Sly has a cute little trivia: He's using the Nailmaster's Glory badge, because his nail arts only have a .2 second charge-up compared to the half-second of Oro, Mato, and Sheo.

Knowing this doesn't help you beat the Yoda-rear end bastard, of course.

I don't think he's using the charm, I think he's just that good and equipping Nailmaster's Glory makes you as good as he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

Thank you so much for giving a flower to Elderbug. It is the best thing you can do in Hollow Knight, his reaction is so great. :3: