Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I adore Hollow Knight but the skill ceiling is somewhere above my head and after 60 hours of playing it there's parts of the game I will never see because I absolutely can't defeat some of those bosses. And I play it on the Switch so I can't install a cheat mod or whatever. But every part of the game that isn't me being brutalized is beautiful, I love the setting and the colours and the soundtrack and the exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Did Yorkshire Tea just assign the game's plot as homework? :allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I loved the non-linearity because it meant I was never stonewalled. A boss is giving me trouble? I have twelve other things I can do.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Team Cherry is based in Australia, and one of the devs hung around the main Hollow Knight thread for a while:

George Lazenby posted:

We did write down a few common words (I think i use 'ludo' a lot) but people often had trouble reading them so later on we tended to just get people to write down their own made-up gibberish so they could speak it more naturally. It was pretty interesting, cos people tended to make up gibberish that related to their background and it really shone through. Makoto did Hornet, and she really obviously sounds Japanese-ish. A lot of my stuff and some of my Mum's is based on Greek words or sounds kinda European (we're Greek). Our French translator, Shalulu, did the voice of Cloth and No Eyes which is why they (particularly Cloth) sound distinctly French.

Cheers! Yeah sales are good, I think we're past 130K units sold on Steam now. Most importantly the whole thing is definitely sustainable, so we can keep making more stuff!

Heyy thanks! Yeah team was small, just me Ari n Dave as the core. Then Chris was the composer, and Matt came in as marketing/PR towards the end. Plus testers and stuff at the end of course (ie our friends).

Haha, I got some new decent headphones for the office and was just saying to Ari today how happy I was with the general soundscape of the waterways. The atmos and the reverb and the drips and stuff all come together nicely, and the weird creature noises help heaps too. I did the voices for the fluke dudes when they're walking around, but Chris made the crazy noises for when they get cut in half. I think he may have grabbed random animal samples and mashed em up? Oh and Makoto (Hornet's voice) did the Flukemarm.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 20, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Essence and Soul are both fluids, clearly they should be measured in mililitres.

Edit: the magic sword tennis thing in Zelda is sometimes called "Dead Man's Volley" because that's what one of the characters called it in Phantom Hourglass. .

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 28, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Knight's absurd head-to-body ratio makes it looks ridiculous while Crystal Dashing. I think it's limbs aren't even visible during it so you end up with the equivalent of an angry jellyfish hurtling through the air at 40 mph. Or a shuttlecock, or one of those tissue paper ghosts everyone learned to make in school in grade 3.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Watching you steamroll that fucker is deeply cathertic, he stonewalled me harder than anyone else I beat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know how I heckled it up, but I missed Cloth entirely on my playthrough. As for Hollow Knight themed cat names, the obvious choice is Leg-Eater. (Sly, Tiso, Myla, Millibelle, there's a decent selection of NPCs in there)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
In a dark, dangerous world full of dead bugs and various hazards, Deepnest still feels uniquely hostile. I could probably go up to anyone who's played this game and just say "gently caress Deepnest" and I'll get a :hai: back.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This is the first time I ever noticed that the Hollow Knight is watching you before you smash those chains. I mean, it's not like there's much else going on when you're sealed in a box for a thousand years or w/e but now I wonder if the Hollow Knight, like, knew we were coming. Was it waiting?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There're all magic insects, I have no idea what timescale we're even going with. Hollownest might have fallen, like, five years ago and it seems ancient because the average lifespan of the entire cast is six months. Or maybe they're centuries old! Who knows! They're bugs!

Crimson Harvest posted:

I can never decide if they're having a lucid moment and trying to help you, or if the orange goo is trying to free itself

I always assumed it was the first one, maybe because of the music going for slow tragic strings in the second half of the fight.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Traitor Lord is a nasty fight but it's even worse as a solo battle, for whatever reason I only met Cloth once and she didn't come in to help me here.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For the Delicate Flower quest, I put the warp in front of the Grey Mourner then didn't take the flower. See, what you do is, first you take your path all the way to the grave and clear out all of the enemies, then you warp back to the Grey Mourner and do the quest. It's so much easier when you aren't being ambushed by aspids or whatever

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think both ants and bees are very cool but I think having them in the same setting would feel a but redundant, with both of them occupying the "eusocial caste insect" spot. Or rather I think you could have them both in the same setting but that would be a story about ants and bees, not a story about unspecified bugs that features either ants or bees. And if you can have only one or the other in a story bees are generally the superior choice just on, like, iconography. Instantly recognizable colour scheme. Every bee flies and comes with her own weapon.

(Once again, ants are cool. In fact, everyone should go check out this thread about how cool ants are. They farm critters! They cultivate fungus! They make weird ant bread! But that's like, Deep Ant Lore that I think is fundamentally beyond the scope of Hollow Knight, which is about bugs, but it's about magic soul bugs and can get kind of fuzzy on real critter facts.

I don't know anything about termites.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Eeepies posted:

Grubsong and Deep Focus almost cancels out the damage + dream nailing the bystanders refills you. It should be enough to get through with much shorter time.

Grubberfly's Elegy makes Grubsong more efficient, toss that into the mix and you'll end up gaining Soul faster than you can spend it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wasps, ants, and other kinds of bees also make honey, but the western honeybee is the only one we bothered domesticating.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You know, I think there is a guy at the end who says "here's what happened, and why"

It's Yorkshire Tea :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SirPhoebos posted:

It's very much required. And unless you know where all the the whispering roots are, you need to face at least one of the dream bosses to access the White Palace

Even with all of the Roots and Dream Warriors that only gets you 1582 Essence. You can't get the awakened nail without murdering a Dream Boss.

Edit: unrelated, but I think the White Lady is a fungus. Okay, so mushrooms are like icebergs. The but you see above ground is 10% of whole fungus and the remaining 90% is a gnarly white root system. And the Lady seems like a stationary sort though her roots stretch very far indeed.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 10, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The real Hollow Knight starts here! Or something. ...Actually this is literally the worst place to have your dash crap out randomly. Is it a game glitch or a controller problem? Either way, :rip:

I also have some problems with the storytelling, just because I miss subtext or can't piece everything together or I forget poo poo. I usually just wait a week and then see if other, more attentive gamers have sorted it out.

Edit: I love the weird noises the Seer makes.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 15, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SirPhoebos posted:

Thank you, Tea! :tipshat:

Also I've never rescued Brett this late so it'll be hilarious for her to immediately ditch the Knight for Zote

I wasn't quite as late as Nat was but I never had Bretta hang out with me until my second playthrough.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I had an unfortunate over-reliance on Flukenest but there weren't really any major reasons to stop. The damage output was absolutely disgusting.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Grimmchild's design but I hate the noises it makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like to think that the player's experience fighting Sly is how all the other bosses feel about fighting the Knight. Just a tiny little gently caress who zips around like a maniac and slaps you across the pavement.