Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pogoing off spikes is actually never required at all except for the Path of Pain (don't look at that spoiler nat 20) but it's definitely useful tech.

Speaking of useful things to know, every NPC had extra things to say if you talk to them more, some moreso than others.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fractalairduct posted:

You're forgetting the centipede gauntlet in Deepnest.

That's pogoing off an enemy. Completely different. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really do love the fact that Cornifer basically drops this game's thesis statement on you when you first meet him.

"There is a joy in getting lost and finding your way again. We are exquisitely lucky, you and I."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm enjoying seeing you do surprisingly well, but I am looking forward to when you do eventually hit a stumbling block.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nat, keep using that hadouken to your heart's content.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't know what was funniest. (nat don't read these pls)

Yorkshire Tea trying his hardest to shade Natural 20 into taking on the Mantis Lords in the hopes that he'll finally see a death or Yorkshire Tea clearly biting his tongue when Natural 20 kept bringing up wanting the Mantis Tribe to be friendly.

Also, this is my favourite zone in the game. The music, the rainfall, the ambience, the everything... Also also, everytime I see Quirrel on my travels it always brings a smile to my face.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 10, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm a video behind but I agree that Relic Seeker Lemm is great.

edit: Cashing in trinkets should be an onscreen thing because Lemm is cool and good and his dialogue shouldn't be hoarded by the miserly Nat 20. :colbert:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 15, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Mantis Lords are the point that I stopped liking Hollow Knight.

They are also the point where I started loving Hollow Knight.

Edit: I know it makes you anxious, but the perpetual options are something that are truly great about the game in my eyes. There's always several different directions you can go, and they're all right. This is the best example of non-linear Metroidvania structure I've ever seen.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 18, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Mantis Lords is probably my favourite boss fight in the base game and like... third favourite in the game overall.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do genuinely love that Dung Defender is just having the absolute time of his life for the entire boss fight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I cannot think of a single boss fight in the entire game that I'd consider a cheap shot tbh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

From that first attempt, I honestly feel like you would have been able to get Soul Tyrant in a few more tries with your current level of upgrades. You had gotten the hang of dodging and healing pretty handily.

Edit: I love how while Lemm is a grump who tells you to go away, he will just go on and on about Hallownest's history to you given an excuse. While being antisocial, he doesn't just want to hoard knowledge, he wants to share it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zote is the most obvious choice for a cat name.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how Nat has gone from not being entirely comfortable with pogo bouncing to pogoing through a massive spike corridor just to show he can.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Everything about Deepnest is designed to make you feel isolated, claustrophobic and unwelcome. I loved it, but I can imagine why someone who has issues with feeling isolated in games when they don't have other characters to talk to it would be awful.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of my favourite things is that Team Cherry didn't just account for people angrily swinging their nail at the bank, they were clearly hoping for it because the cardboard facade of a bank falling over is quite possibly the funniest thing in this entire game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After you beat the Broken Vessel, all the Lightseeds that infested the Ancient Basin are gone. Presumably they migrated to the Crossroads and hosed it up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hollow Knight's story is pretty clear. :shrug:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Extremely pleased by the emphatic I am not done with this game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Eeepies posted:

please please never use hiveblood for your own sanity, it makes that one place take double or triple the length

Isma's tear was incredibly funny because it was actually supposed to be gotten before the double jump.

I mean is it really? They're both available as soon as you get the crystal dash.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pun pundit posted:

As far as I know, nail upgrades don't matter for dream bosses, as their health scales with your mail damage.

You gain more damage than their health scales so it doesn't negate upgrades, it just makes them not quite as much of a jump.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

The challenge for the true, final ending is pure bullshit but I wouldn't mind Tea directing Nat to the rest of the bosses.

Also, the Path of Pain should at least be attempted.

That is not a "true, final ending", it's just a different ending.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The dash uppercut used to be my most hated attack until I figured out the whole "dash away from him" strategy and that turned it into the most consistent way of getting damage out because with Quickslash equipped it was a guaranteed window to land two hits.

Nightmare King Grimm is my favourite boss fight in the game, my other two being Pure Vessel and Sisters of Battle

As a side note, my three favourite boss fights in the game at launch Mantis Lords, Radiance and Failed Champion

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cactus posted:

I think I cheesed, or attempted to cheese, the Failed Champion with one of those builds; just keep jumping in one of the top corners out of his reach while your minions chip away at him. Can't remember if it actually worked or if I ended up beating him the normal way, or even if I beat him at all it was that long ago now. I do remember that I put the game down because the aspect of it that appealed to me the most - exploring the map, collecting grubs and charms and whatnot - had pretty much run its course and all that was left were difficult platforming & boss challenges which weren't going to reward me with whole new areas to explore. I decided to leave it there and walk away on a good note so that my final memory of playing the game was one of satisfaction and not one of frustration. The "bad ending" was good enough for me, and I've seen the rest via various playthroughs.

I then made the mistake of immediately trying to play other games of this type to try to recapture the feeling of playing Hollow Knight for the first time. I bounced off Celeste, I bounced off Axiom Verge, I bounced off Ori (again) and I bounced hard off Bloodstained (the lovely art direction in that game, my god) because none of them looked like, controlled like, or were Hollow Knight. I might have ruined my chances of ever enjoying those games by trying to play them too soon after HK. Now I'm just forlornely waiting for Silksong like everyone else, saddened by the absolute lack of any news or updates on how its coming along. Occasionally my son tugs at my sleeve and asks me dad, why don't you play or talk anymore, or leave the house, and I turn my head so that my blank gaze looks past him and say "they said it was coming.... soon."

Games that have filled (or partially filled) the Hollow Knight shaped hole in my heart, in order from most to least:

Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (specifically Ori 2, not Blind Forest)
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (filled the hole well, but ended quickly)
Blasphemous

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"An emptiness that was once hidden, now unconstrained.

Unites the void under the bearer's will."

The description of the Void Heart.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I honestly think Nat is good enough to do the full Godhome, it's just a question of whether he has the patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pure Vessel is so drat cool.