Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I'm pretty certain this is a game specific problem (or maybe steam specific?) because my Pro controller works fine with my switch as my 20 hours of pokemon unite will attest.

Okay I'm ALMOST caught up, but I'm gonna post a response to this because I had this same issue and it was really bugging me :D

When I picked up playing this again recently, something in the game settings had changed since last I played, and I kept having my dash button cut out periodically and then come back online after a bit, exactly like Nat has. I also thought it was a controller issue, but in the options menu in-game setting "native controller input" to ON fixed the problem entirely. Hope this helps!

(Also I'm a few episodes back and I agree that the Grimmkin are irritating to fight, but they're designed to give you a very specific preview of Grimm's attacks and teach you how to fight him before you actually fight him. It's just not presented as well and doesn't flow as well as Grimm himself, so it feels like a slog when combined with hunting them all down.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Alxprit posted:

And I wholly agree with the method of Godhome being flawed. It sucks and I wish that boss rushes weren't the go-to for hard content at times. Heck, when I learned there was some lore-based reward for doing all the boss fights on one-hit radiant difficulty, that kind of set me over the line too. Look it up if you haven't already, it's such a weird thing.

Having a small lore reward for doing all radiant bosses is like the best reward they could give. It's so inconsequential for most people but still makes you feel like you've been rewarded for something that most people won't do. I would say it's easier than doing the bindings for the pantheons too, which also gets you a small lore reward.

I was a bit let down by Godhome when it first released but it really grew on me quickly. I love it now. The fact that the ascended bosses are more than just double damage like I thought they were at first, and that they added new bosses as rewards for getting to the top of pantheons is excellent. I intentionally didn't spoil myself on the bosses before I fought them myself so it was a pretty neat surprise each time. That being said, it is an AWFUL slog grinding the fifth pantheon, and effectively making you do it twice to complete it (I can't imagine someone beating the boss of pantheon 5 on their first try. Good luck Nat!) feels super lovely. I like the growing stress and anticipation as you get to the top for the first time, but if I hadn't already resigned myself to having to complete the pantheon twice I think it would have really annoyed me.

I'm not sure I have a better way of doing it, but at least for Pantheon of Hallownest it'd be nice if you unlocked the boss BEFORE having to slog away for an hour just to look forward to doing it exactly the same way again after practicing the boss. Maybe just for that pantheon, they should unlock it after you beat pure vessel in Pantheon of the Knight.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

You actually get the same reward for beating all the bosses on regular difficulty in the hall of gods, Ascended and Radiant are just for an extra little bonus statue.

Not quite. EXTREMELY minor spoilers that are safe to read but just in case someone REALLY doesn't want to know the tiny change: The hunter's journal entry changes very slightly when you beat all bosses on ascended difficulty in hall of the gods, and then again when you beat all radiant bosses. VERY slightly. Like less than a sentence.

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 2, 2021

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I think completely removing the high stakes of the pantheon boss would make them a lot less memorable and interesting, personally.

It's interesting that you think beating the pantheon after practicing the boss in the hall of gods cheapens it. I felt the opposite. Putting your practice to the test in a stressful situation and coming out on top is a good chunk of why I like the pantheons. It feels good to make visible progress after putting the work in.

Edit because I thought of a solution: maybe giving the player two or three lives for the pantheons would work? Give you time to adjust to the new bosses but still make it feel like a risky and exhilarating fight. I still think most people wouldn't make it past the boss with three lives though. You could have that feature be inactive if you use any bindings for the challenge seekers or something.

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 2, 2021

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I will never defend the pantheon of hallownest, it's way too long and tedious. It'd probably be better if they just tossed the boss of that one after pure vessel in pantheon of the knight, and left pantheon of hallownest something like trial of the fool in the colosseum, just completely optional and not locking anything but there for anybody who wants to test themselves in that way.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Addressing this backwards.

I've just been doing reps on bosses each evening to practice and I have almost everything to a minimum of a 80% confidence on beating them. Additional tension might degrade my performance but you can hopefully hear from the video that I'm just not tense at all because I've done the fight upwards of 30 times. If anything I was bored of fighting pure vessel.

Mainly, I don't think anyone thinks that Nightmare King Grimm isn't memorable because you get to fight him again instantly. The tension you feel ratchets up during the fight because "Holy crap I just got past stun 3" is a thing.

Tension can exist from just making a boss hard as hell rather than putting a 10-45 min grind in front of them.

Yeah I think we just have very different mentalities.

I can't even wrap my head around someone thinking that because you had to practice something before doing it "for real" that it cheapens the experience. For difficult tasks, putting your practice to the test is part of the appeal for me, which is why I play things like fighting games.

Context is important for this. Practicing NKG outside of the pantheons is a waste of time because, as you said, you can just refight him immediately if you lose with no penalty. The pantheons, and boss rushes in general, are structured in a way that having save points before challenging parts would make it feel like more of a waste of time to me, because then it isn't about demonstrating mastery. It's just smacking your face into a brick wall until you break through. You talk about megaman a lot, and even have him in your YouTube outros. I'm curious if you think those boss rushes are also bad, or if it's just the new boss thing that rubs you the wrong way.

Even after practicing pure vessel and the pantheon of hallownest boss a lot before doing more attempts at the pantheons, I was still very tense and invested in the fights because of how punishing losing would be.

For clarity, I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I think we're approaching this content in very different ways, and I'm enjoying a discussion of our differing viewpoints.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

bike tory posted:

But that's exactly how you get "mastery" in these games. How else would you describe learning a fight like NKG other than practicing it until it clicks?

There's a difference between practicing to smack your face against a wall and breaking it first try after a long day at the office of face-smacking, and waking up and just going to town with your face with no prior commitment. Context is important. Like I said, putting your previous practice to use in the "real" higher-risk setting is what makes it fun to me. Having it be a "normal" boss where you effectively restart at the beginning of the fight gives it a whole different context, and while that's not a bad thing exactly (and is in fact what makes up the vast majority of the game) if you want a unique challenge like what Godhome is striving for it's not really the same thing.

quote:

And even with mastery you're still going to gently caress up occasionally, especially on difficult and punishing bosses.

Of course! That's what makes it exciting!

quote:

Which is why this level of punishment is exactly what makes it not fun for me. Like I didn't struggle much more than Nat with this game, I'm sure I could get to those bosses if, but I haven't because I just wouldn't find it fun. Which leaves me a little aggrieved because I still do want to fight those bosses.

I get that, but it's very optional for a reason, and you not wanting to do it for any reason is perfectly valid. I have lots of games where I can't be assed to do the hardest challenges, either for lack of interest of lack of time. Not finding it fun is an excellent reason to not do it.

quote:

So overall I think that's my issue. I don't really care about endings or achievements or small lore tidbits - that's all stuff I can watch on YouTube. But the fact that they've gated new, probably very fun content behind a really not fun slog is annoying.

I've tried like ten different ways of answering this without sounding like a dick and failed miserably every time, so I'll just say: There are plenty of ways to experience the fights you want to play without having to play the pantheons. Download a save, use cheat engine, mods, anything. Go nuts, nobody is going to judge you for it. The devs had an experience in mind when they made the DLC pack, but there's no reason you have to engage with them on that level if you really don't want to.

Alxprit posted:

Sisters of Battle is the best boss fight in the gaaaaame because Mantis Lords are the best and it's just better Mantis Lords whoooo! I love them all!

The other extra boss is much less good.

The sisters of battle is my favourite fight in the game. It's excellent.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Great work on the LP guys, thanks for the hours of entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

For a moment I thought you were going to beat it on your first try, you madlad. Clearly I underestimated the monstrous difficulty of this boss, which... Sheesh! The frequency of attacks makes some sequences feel really unfair. Also the particle effects and color palette do not help. Like there were multiple points in which I went "wait what even hit him just now?".

The orbs are the worst for that, I've been hit by him quite a few times because I just couldn't see them.