Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised Nat is averse to shooting diagonally in Metroid games on the basis of Mega Man. Bass hasn't been a playable character in as many games as he should have been, but he's still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm reminded a Bioware dev said a decade ago that there should be an option for people to simply skip the gameplay and see the story alone if they want to without playing the game. She got poo poo on hard for it because gamers will be gamers, but you know what? She's right. People should have that freedom, no matter the reason, as a matter of decency from the developers. And if that extreme is allowed, then poo poo, developers should go a lot harder for allowing accessibility options. In today's day and age where they can add patches as much as they want to, no excuse for not giving one that allows a god mode or failing that, just difficulty toggle options. It should be normalized, the same way that good controls and other basics are normalized.

re: disability chat, maybe easy mode accommodations are all that's needed for now. Fine tuning the experience might be what's ideal, but the perfect is the enemy of the good. It's a step in the right direction.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Speaking of melee stuff, I just noticed for the first time that the nail strikes here remind me a hell of a lot of the Crissaegrim/Valmanway from Igavania games.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Speaking of Mega Man, all these shield enemies are reminding me of the shield enemies from the Mega Man games. And for such a hard game, Xero's attack patterns are surprisingly basic. He's reminding me of the first boss from Dawn of Sorrow, and that was a pretty easy Igavania.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The whole being forced to choose between Grubsong and the Gathering Swarm charms make me think that this game should do what more recent Igvania's do these days, which is let you create whole character setups and switch between them at the drop of a hat. Also, the No Eyes fight is cool and oozes atmosphere, but mechanically, yeah, it does seem a bit blah. One of the things I disliked about Crash 4 besides the ridiculous level design and blatantly hiding crates was that boss fights felt less like a slugfest with the main enemy and more just a glorified endurance match of a level where you had to avoid enemies while the boss didn't do much of anything until you got permission to hit move onto the next stage of the fight.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Regarding the difficulty, I can say the one thing that would bother me if I were playing this game, is the overabundance of spike pits and the need to get over them by timing the parry strikes. To me, it just feels both boring and something akin to those trap iron balls coming out of nowhere like in Soulsborne games. And I get that this game is inspired by that series, but the need to do that often enough still looks generally irritating.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I know difficulty chat hasn't come up in awhile, but one thing that's been coming up more and more in these last few vids that's kind of annoying is the constant spiky walls. Can't bounce off those or skip them like others suggested it's possible with the spike pits, you have to deal with them the old fashioned way, and some of them look inconveniently placed. And I think the upgraded Hadouken isn't so much the Zero Buster as Tea said, but more the arm upgrade capsule for the X Buster.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 24, 2021

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised Nat was able to slip out of that spike pit at 15:40 no problem. Handling poo poo like a boss.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Everything about Zote reminds me of Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I haven't played this game but this thread definitely inspired me to check out more info about it and so uh, about the red shrine activating...Is it related to the Grimm Troupe DLC?

Also Space Dandy is amazing. Definitely the definitive Shinichiro Watanabe show. I always thought Bebop was overrated and Champloo while not perfect, was what I wanted Bebop to be, managing episodic stuff, a tight plot, and absurd hijinks all around, but Space Dandy absolutely does not give a gently caress, managing to be artsy, deranged, and funny as hell all in one.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 19, 2021

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Divine makes the cutest little noises that only a creepy monster could make. I love it.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Never played this game or any of the contemporary other indie platformer games mentioned before save Bloodstained, but I will say as much as the death mechanic in this game reminds me far too much of Soulsborne type gameplay which I despise, this game still has a lot going for it in terms of originality. Not just the atmosphere and art direction either, it's the challenge involved dealing with the various enemies too, in addition to the way you can customize your character as well as all the combinations of charms that reward replay value and experimenting with different playstyles to get past certain situations.

I'll third Bloodstained not being as good as it could have been. Enjoyed it overall, but after Dawn of Sorrow and Ecclesia allowed Soul/Glyph combos, for the shards to not combo at all was beyond irritating. That's not getting into how enemies from early/mid-game would still appear in late game areas. The rewards for the boss rush stuff were underwhelming too, and despite using Curse of Darkness's weapon customization system which along with the monster system were one of the few things I liked about that game, zero interesting was done with that. Seriously, the lightsaber in Bloodstained is just another sword as opposed to having it's own unique identity. And much of the palette swapped enemies retained the exact same attack patterns as their weaker counterparts. For that reason, I never had a problem with small fairy type enemies where in other Igavania's, they were always a threat on some level and there was a whole variety of them posing various challenges. That's not getting into how some enemies (looking at you Den of Behemoths) flat out recycled shards or were incredibly easy to manipulate with minimal risk due to certain enemy blind spots. I'm all for more Symphony, but this felt like a straight up rehash of that one, while liberally sprinkling elements from past games without innovating upon them.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Great job Nat! Though on the subject of his skill level and this game's overall difficulty, kinda got me wishing you were playing the PC version. Would have loved to see some of your reactions to the modded versions of some already tough fights like Nightmare King Grimm and the Pure Vessel, and that's not getting into the other superboss in the final Pantheon that has been revamped even further by some seriously sadistic hackers.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I am playing on PC! If you can point me to things where you can just fight dudes then I'll see if I can get them in after the Godhome/Path of Pain streams.

So I'll admit, I have no idea here. Videos of the modded versions started popping up in my Youtube suggestions after I watched you take on NKG and others, and I know that these other versions exist, at least. I don't know if there's a boss only mod out there or something like that which would let you skip straight to them, because that would rule. Would definitely put your skills to the test and give new meaning to terms like path of pain while making the actual Path of Pain look like chump change by comparison.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Carpator Diei posted:

This mod looks like it could be... interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=056pyqKJavw

I've seen a lot of boss related mods that add new twists to attack patterns and maybe a few environmental hazards, but never to the extent that it's a full on kaizo boss fight. Hot drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

I've seen modded versions of that boss before, and it just dawned on me on how little freedom hackers typically give overall in these hard mode approaches. Maybe I'm just desensitized from the constant spamming of attacks that require players to constantly be dodging to the point that I've started to think while watching these, "Okay, you're constantly on your feet and there's little wiggle room for error, but really, what else is there to suggest this is actually difficult?" And then the required pogo-ing stuff comes, and that's when I think this is the hardest thing ever.