Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Marluxia posted:

Yeah, I won't remember where all of the items are, but if you plop me down in a random room in Hollow Knight, I'll probably know where I am.
Which is actually quite an achievement given the game's size - the room design really is that good at giving each location an individual look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the worst enemy in boss fights in this game is greed and Nat doesn't seem to suffer from that... yet. Doesn't make the no-death-so-far run any less impressive, mind you; Hornet can be quite the roadblock.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It is useful for the hadoken spam, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the little bit of exposition you get after beating Hornet might as well be complete gibberish on a first playthrough. One thing you can connect easily is the ghosts' faces and where else you saw them, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 8, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I think his point of view has merit. Soul isn't always readily available.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Oh good you went back and found the Nailsmith, I definitely did a large chunk of this area without finding him and boy was that a pain!
Could be worse, my first playthrough I found him only after beating the boss of mantis village.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo, I've beaten the game twice and had no idea this was A Thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really like Tea's vain attempts to direct Nat to the Soul Sanctum. One of these days...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 6, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

As for Hollow Knight themed cat names, the obvious choice is Leg-Eater. (Sly, Tiso, Myla, Millibelle, there's a decent selection of NPCs in there)

Radiance

e: Iselda sounds pretty nice, too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 20, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That "spider skittering across the foreground" effect is The. loving. Worst.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

Of course I'm still not 100% on what "this" is, exactly.
What we've seen the Hollow Knight fail at (spoilers for things we've seen but not necessarily noticed) - containing the orange plague. There is actually a clue in Hollow Knight's design: if you look at his head, you can see a crack in there (and in the bad ending, you see the orange fire in our protagonist's head). It isn't too much of a stretch to assume the crack is how the plague got out. Also, you can see a similar crack on the Broken Vessel.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 27, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there was a way to zoom up to an area's map and it would show you the completion percentage, now that you have the Worldsoul. Could be useful for chasing down those missed nooks and crannies.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 10, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, regarding the story's lack of explicitness - and spoilering this just because you didn't talk to the character in question again - there is one more Moth Seer reward, for collecting 2400 experience, where she explains what happened in pretty clear terms.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The challenge for the true, final ending is pure bullshit but I wouldn't mind Tea directing Nat to the rest of the bosses.

Also, the Path of Pain should at least be attempted.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

That is not a "true, final ending", it's just a different ending.
Yeah, I was paraphrasing something they said in the video. Still, the practice of hiding bits of story behind extremely obnoxious lategame challenges is one the very few things I really dislike about this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Bloody hell.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lynneth posted:

Did Nat actually check in with the Seer after getting 1800 essences? I forgot if he did.
E: Wait, nevermind. He couldn't have gone into White Palace if he hadn't. Wonder if there's more dialogue at a higher essence count though.
There is and it explicitly spells out a lot of the story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, you already made it further into the Path than I ever did. That goddamn horizontal buzzsaw room.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Marluxia posted:

I think Radiance is supposed to be a big rear end moth. Remember when Tea tried to point out that the moth dream warrior recognized he was dead. Also the Seer explicitly gives us the power of dream and as far as I remember is the only entity in the current kingdom, beside the White Lady, that recognizes when you try to dreamnail them. So there's some connection between moths and dreams. This game really has it out for moths.
She's the moth god, primordial Light as opposed to the Void. The 2400 essence talk spells the whole story out.

I think my favorite part about Grimm is that he sleeps upside down hanging from the ceiling, just like a proper (vampire) bat should.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

Caster build really is kind of effortless through the midgame.
Yeah, and then it bites you in the rear end when bosses can't be deleted in one volley anymore because you didn't learn how to dodge properly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

Wait what's the problem everyone's got with Markoth? I didn't think he was unusually hard or frustrating.
His Ascended version - which you fight in the final pantheon - has a really nasty gimmick.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Congrats on making it to 112%, this was one amazing LP.