Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

NewFatMike posted:

“please loving quit doing sketch fillets just apply fillets it makes things way easier to constrain and dimension”

I should have found this thread a long time ago but this being the first thing I read in it makes me realize that I am missing some basics. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

. Ideally it would be a blind hole so the bolt or threaded rod would bottom out, but if I put a stop on the top of whatever is being bolted down that should do the same thing

Just make it blind, make a 2 or 3 mm bottom on that, and put a pause on your print at the correct layer height (right before the bridging starts happening on top of the nut).

E, forgot this part: obviously, insert the nut while it's paused

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Some Pinko Commie posted:

Blind holes and helicoil inserts are your friends.

Nuts (as long as they are bigger than M4 or so) are significantly stronger on 3d prints at least. Square nuts even better, for Kaiser's use I may even through tap a bar of aluminum or steel and then design around that for ultimate strength; the bar would do most of the holding while the plastic, preferably something stiff like cf embedded PC (or PLA, Kaiser does woodworking so cf pla is a good candidate for jigs and other things he might come up with while being stupid easy to print) does the centering.