Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Didn’t know this thread was a thing, but I am glad to see it. I have some questions for y'all. I have some experience with using Fusion, and my job uses Mastercam with a Verisurf plugin to run CMMs in our quality lab. Verisurf has some neat features and some more utility than generic Mastercam, and it uses .mcam files to run programs for inspecting stuff….but there is still a lot of generic Mastercam user unfriendliness built in. It has been a steep and annoying learning curve working with Mastercam coming from experience with Fusion. I have been doing a lot of beating my head against the wall to try and figure things out as far as making inspection models actually work properly.

Let me describe the workflow we typically use.

1. Get a few customer supplied models, typically CATIA and Step files for the same part. The CATIA models sometimes have most of the holes patterns in a given part removed, or they only have a few example holes included, but the CATIA files do have included GD&T modeling we want to keep. These files get converted over to .mcam to use as a base for making part inspection files.

2. Take multiple customer models to make a working Mastercam inspection file by either merging models, or cutting and pasting features from the .step file, with the ideal of keeping the modeled GD&T callouts, or sometimes just manually adding the GD&T requirements ourselves depending on who is doing the work, or if a given model is being annoying.

3. Inspect stuff!

Because Mastercam (and therefore Verisurf) is so surface driven, we typically use surface only models for building inspection plans. Verisurf tends to occasionally wig out when we try to use solids to inspect things, and I have had a helluva time trying to make patch surfaces that are inside holes. A lot of the time, if we have wireframe geometry around a hole or other inside the part feature, we can get the inspection plan to work even though we don’t have any modeled surfaces inside a lot of the holes that we are measuring. Is there any way to fix this in Mastercam, or good learning resources for Mastercam for surface editing specifically? The big thing is that I want to be absolutely sure that I am just patching up model errors and not changing any geometry.

I have used the Titan academy stuff to learn Fusion, and I am thinking about going back through and using the academy to study Mastercam. I suspected that he was extremely chud adjacent from his general vibe, so I’m not at all surprised about the whole “avoiding lockdowns by moving to Texas” thing. I work around enough folks in machining with similar or worse views that I pretty much can’t entirely avoid this stuff, so I tend to try and just not talk about anything political with most of my coworkers, but I also wouldn’t mind better resources that don’t make me want to hold my nose about this poo poo.

I will also say that one thing I appreciate about Titan Gilroy versus much of what I have encountered in my short time in this field is that he seems to be trying to encourage growth and learning, which is NOT the normal thing I see from many machinists, at least the ones in leadership positions I encounter. That has been incredibly frustrating to me when you have people who don’t want to do anything different than what they learned in the late 90s (or earlier).

And on a separate note, gently caress the Soldiworks 3Dexperience. I tried that crap, and never got it to run, and it seems like my laptop was not compatible with the software, which I only learned after purchase. There was no obvious place to try and get a refund, so I just initiated a chargeback with my credit card company, and Dassault was unresponsive enough that the chargeback went through.

Problematic Soup fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
Yeah, the CATIA models we get have built-in MBD. It doesn’t always seem to play well with Verisurf on our end. I will see about our resellers having some idea about using STEP 242 or some other tricks to actually make this something we can use reliably instead of having to depend on the phases of the moon and reading goat entrails to make it work better.

Problematic Soup fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 14, 2023

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
I don’t think that there is enough information there to solve, since the depicted shape is open, and there are no angles shown to set up a construction for a solution. But I may be wrong about that.