Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

If you need an adapter for 3mm in your...

Oh. Wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Hadlock posted:

New thread title?

Hey, I didn't finish that statement for a reason 😂

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Hiring managers in technology often don't know what the gently caress they need or their teams actually use.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

drat, what'd I miss?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Someone modeling up a mold for making realistic looking copies of "Drop and Run" radioactive waste capsules and considering pranking people by leaving them lying around.

Ahh, yeah. That's a good "let's not" plan.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So I signed up for the $10/mo SolidWorks Makers offer because I want to learn a little more and $10/mo is a pretty good entry point.

I have also always had the idea to fully 3D print a Settlers of Catan set (minus the cards, obviously). But I also suck at art.

So I settled (heh) on a generic aesthetic. And when I say generic, I mean like the classic unbranded items that we see on shelves in movies and TV (I honestly don't remember if that aesthetic was ever real) with just black lettering on white.

I have number tokens and printed my first 'WOOD' tile last night. This is that tile with a number token from the 5-6 player set.

It's silly, but I actually really kinda dig it and I'm considering putting it up on my Etsy shop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Indeed they can, but when it happens ever reboot, it gets old.

Something else is going on here. Windows doesn't change the system's signature every time you reboot, or even in updates.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I really need someone to build an Android tablet version of one of the major CAD programs. You can kinda use Fusion 360 via web if you have edu access, but it's not the same.

Give me Inventor (we use it in middle school robotics) or SW on my S8+ and I'll almost never need my laptop.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

DeX mode or regular, either way. Having keyboard & mouse functionality when I can actually sit down with it would be great, but generally, I'm thinking about using the native touch + S-Pen.

I forgot about the web-based bits in 3DX, I'll have to sign in there and see how it works in FF mobile.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, if you’ve got 3D Creator, it’s well worth checking out. It’s a little counterintuitive that it’s still in browser on a mobile device, but I’ll take it.

If the software detects you’re on mobile, keep an eye out for an extra toolbar that pops up. It’s how you manage locking rotation, multiple clicks, and a few other things.

I really hope they figure out xDrawings and start building out the other tools to make it closer to an actual SOLIDWORKS or Onshape replacement, but it’s a good solid modeler right now.

I have to figure out how to get to the tools from my tablet without the Windows launcher (which, IIRC, runs as a webserver locally). None of the sw.com or 3dexperience sites get me to creator through my account page(s).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Huh, does the 3D Creator role normally show up on your Windows computer? It should list all your roles no matter what, it just won’t display apps if they can’t be installed on that system.

I'm not home, so I have to look and see what I actually see.

But any of the 3dexperience pages I hit are marketing and trying to sell me 3d creator.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Are you seeing that on a browser that doesn't have the launcher installed? That's what I'm trying to get to if I can.

Everything so far is marketing pages, even when I hit the orb. I'm guessing that's what is missing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

That's exactly what I needed. Nothing like putting poo poo where it's easy to access. The French strike again, lol.

Edit: Ok, that's pretty badass. When I get back to my desk, I'm gonna sync some of my current projects with the My3D Drive and dick around with them. My S8+ is more powerful than my doddering old Mac Book and will likely be more useful and portable. Especially since I'm nowhere near anything resembling a pro in SW, and unlikely for quite a while.

Thanks for your help!

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 17, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, I'm probably missing the terminology because I've been doing this away from my desk, but that's my plan. Open in SW, Save As to the non-local location, then access via web tools.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've definitely found that doing multiple simple sketches is much more manageable than one gently caress-off complex sketch that makes it really tough to adjust after the fact.

And yeah, adding features like fillets, chamfers, holes, and threads is much better after the fact.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Finally got the 3DX bookmark set right on all my devices. Having basic SolidWorks functionality in a browser window on my 10 year old MacBook Pro is pretty fuckin' great.

Just fixed something for my kid's robotics team sitting in the meeting. Great stuff.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Hole of Theseus?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

My $10USD just renewed, but if I see that, I'll snag it for sure.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Just got the email from Dassaut on the Makers price change.

They REALLY want people to go annual.

That's going down to $48/year.

But later in the email it says that monthly is going from $10 to $15.

So I guess if you just need it for a short project less than 3 months, then that's worth it, but anything more than that, go annual.

No other changes mentioned in the email.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

If you’re willing to share a screen grab or just copy and paste, I’d love to see it. I’ve got a meeting with Dassault folks about the offer on Monday and haven’t gotten the email.

Sure.

Dassaut email posted:

New Subscription Pricing for
3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers

Many 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers monthly subscribers want more time to use their industry-leading 3D CAD software for personal projects.

To address this request we are thrilled to let you know that as of November 20th the price for an annual subscription of 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers for your hobbies and personal projects is just $48/year - a reduction from $99/year. Great Value for your personal projects and hobbies – at just .13cents/day.

If you love to make things, what will you make for just .13cents/day with 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers?

If you would like to continue using the monthly subscription, the price will change from $9.99 to $15.00/month. This will take effect for all new subscription from November 20, 2023. The new prices will apply to monthly renewals as of December 6th.

Learn more now about how to upgrade your monthly subscription to an annual one.

Thank you for being part of our awesome maker community. Happy making!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I do wish they had a way to convert, rather than canceling my renewal, then having to remember to start it up for a year on the date I need it back.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, I've never done anything silly like that before. Can't imagine doing stupid poo poo like that. 😂

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Nice. I just got home from our qualifier last night. Going to States in 2 weeks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

We'll be at Howell, yeah.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Apparently, Slack also attaches to one of the installed font files, which makes it unable to do the uninstallation of the existing version for the update.

A nebulous error message about Office is all it gave me.

Rebooted and tried again, this time, the uninstallation failed... less? and it started to attempt the install. That's where it told me it can't install into a non-empty SOLIDWORKS 3DEXPERIENCE folder.

I deleted it, and it failed because Slack had that font open for whateverthefuck reason.

Installation is going now.

If it had told me slack had the file open instead of the dumbshit error it gave me, it would have saved me about 20 minutes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bred posted:

My coworker sent me this deal on 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. $38.40 for a year so I think I'll give it a try. I've been happy using onshape at home but last weekend I got hung up drawing a sword and realized I could do this so much faster in SW. My home time is so precious these days.

It is available December 17, 2023 to January 7, 2024.
https://discover.solidworks.com/3dexperience-solidworks-makers-EOY23

That's perfect, it's right in my renewal window.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If you're already in the SolidWorks workflow you can get the Makers subscription which is good up to I think $5k of revenue.

There's a deal on annual subs right now for like $38USD.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

My experience so far is that 3DX isn't entirely awful. I don't like the whole internal server stuff, but it isn't terrible.

The biggest issue I had so far was with actual SW and that stupid font issue in the 2024 update I mentioned before.

I do like having web tools available on whatever computer I'm using that has the bookmark. Doing a stripped down web version of SolidWorks on a 10.5 year old MacBook or an Android tablet is pretty damned cool.

Also: I just sold a design I made in SW and paid for the yearly Makers sub in one shot.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ooh, good luck there. I don't have to deal with FRC stuff until next school year, but I'm expecting it to be a shitshow both for code and CAD.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

tylertfb posted:

Is there a particularly good and free web-based app that will vector trace a bitmap? I use Inkscape at home but want to do similar things at work, without involving the IT elves.

Looks like there's a portable app version of Inkscape. I don't know if anything web based will give you remotely the same workflow. I've been looking for the Inkscape workflow on Android and have yet to find it (I really want it on my 12.8" S8+).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Very cool stuff. I'm interested in how things will change between FTC (middle school in MI for those who aren't aware) and FRC (high school).

Our teams are pretty set on Inventor for the 'production' stuff, but at least in the earlier years we don't care what they use, just as long as they're learning how stuff works. My middle was getting frustrated during a TinkerCAD session the team was doing to introduce kids that hadn't touched it before and wanted to use Inventor instead. Proud dad moment for one. Since I have educational access, I float among Inventor, Fusion, and SolidWorks depending on what I'm working on or what computer I'm using (or my tablet for that matter).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Gaukler posted:

I haven’t given OnShape a try, but maybe should. I generally stick with Fusion 360 but get real annoyed at the restrictions. I then try FreeCAD for a bit and slink back to Fusion.

Are there CAD packages out there for potential commercial use that don’t cost thousands per year?

The Makers sub for SolidWorks is pretty generous. I think it allows up to $5k (or is it $50k?) of revenue to stay qualified. And it's like $40/year.