Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
On my last call with the VAR went OK. They correctly determined my windows profile had been corrupted. I got instantly angry during the screen share when the rep changed a bunch of my UI settings for SW and PDM Standard before he'd try fixing it.

It then took 1.5 weeks for IT to finally delete my profile after reinstalling SW 3 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008
We do tip over analysis for each machine. It tests for ability to withstand a side force and ability to stay upright up to a 10deg tip. Side force is done just like above. The quick 10deg tip proof is an 20deg isosceles triangle between the worst case fulcrums and then visually confirming the center of mass is within the triangle. This requires most components have correct mass properties.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Ya our machine bases are weldments and we organize them into several assemblies- table top on frame/complete frame of basic tubes welded to each other and more complicated subassys/each unique upright with foot pad orientation and offsets and other complicated subs. Powder coating is called out at the highest weldments.

The whole machine is organized into assemblies based on how it will be made. Like a heavy indexer would be lifted and installed on the table before the dial is installed. Or the electrical enclosure is attached before the panel is inserted.

The assemblers are meant work to the drawings and sign off as they complete. We get issues when they try to work ahead before all the parts are in.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
We're upgrading from 2021 PDM standard to pro. Instructions are to check-in everything by 9am and not use SOLIDWORKS or PDM until after 12pm. They say it is pretty straightforward and we should be up and running earlier but we're doubtful. Past SOLIDWORKS changes usually take a few tries to get right and our PDM admin is ooo for another week. Instead of waiting, IT is doing this with help from the VAR. I watched a YouTube and it looks easy but does anyone have personal experience with this upgrade? I might take the day off it is going to be a shitshow.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I'm getting by with The Ultimate GD&T Pocket Guide by Alex Krulikowski and a GD&T Basics pdf printout on my wall. I google searched the pdf instead of signing up for https://www.gdandtbasics.com.

I like how the pocket guide has squiggly drawings to emphasize how to interpret the actual drawing that helps get the point across. I use that technique now to communicate similar things to the new hires.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Can't you like, design an entire factory in solidworks? Model all the inputs and outputs of the various machines to make a factory that sorts and cracks pecans, or taps and bags specially screws and hinges, or whatever

It does regular CAD too but if you're designing and packaging the workflow to fit in a specific building five grand a year to design a $4-10 million dollar factory seems like peanuts

Probably more than pays for itself for aerospace parts that get CNC'd

Also solidworks does like, aerodynamic and hydrodynamic modeling, I think. If you're designing a boat over 30' or building any size airplane, solidworks is a rounding error in the budget, also a tax deduction as a business expense

I had an opportunity to model some factory concepts this year. I was looking for simulation software and I settled on these options:

- JAAMSIM - free and runs in java so could run it on my locked down workstation without bothering anyone. It took a while to understand how it works but i managed to get a basic process flow. I had a screenshot of multiple buildings and overlayed a product flow of parts coming together, going into boxes, boxes into crates, then pallets, then trucks.

- FlexSim - free demo online but had to get permission to install. That took months so I used jaamsim while waiting. Once I got it working, it was much more user friendly but also by that point I understood the logic of entity flow simulation or whatever they call it. Nice forum and excellent customer service. Helped us through the more complex logic we wanted. Highly recommended. Try the demo on you comouter at home. Good forums with solved problems.

- AnyLogic - looks like flexsim. Some emails with them but took a while to get a download and by then I had things going with the other software so never tried it.

I see the value in simulation for sure. Just modelling the pacing of everything gets you things you don't see from napkin math. Like we detected an issue that would happen several hours into running where we'd need to queue a lot of material. It is like turn signals on 2 cars, they move in and out of sync and there is a point in time where the capacities built in to the system start to choke.

I don't see us using it too much but the team planning the production areas and ordering machines from us should be using this. There are a lot of demos about warehouse picking too so maybe our warehouses can be modelled.

To respond to your second part, I'm an in house machine designer and we use SW for the machines to ultimately create the assembly prints and purchasing boms. To give an idea of scale, our average machine is approx $200k with a couple in low millions annually. We model down to each nut/bolt and create drawings for each custom part and assembly.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
For what you're describing, I'd draw a block of what I could measure. So a room or closet would be a rectangular bowl or the whole house would be one piece. Then i make it transparent and flush out (flush in?) the details within the volume as I need them. I don't have visual access to the things in my wall so I'd hesitate to predict the framing before opening a wall. And at the point that it is open, the time pressures would push me to do it live. I'm much more confident in SW so I see that I'm stumbling through fusion for my personal projects and try to get enough there to make a decision and move on.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I have a toggle in the assembly ribbon: No External References that will prevent you from creating them. Not sure if it is the default or I added it.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I make sketches first. Usually pen and paper. For the scale of house projects, I save time by marking up pictures. Either in Canvas or usually I'll print out a faded image and go over it with a sharpie. It helps with buyoff from my family before buring a lot of time.

At work, I have a lot of CAD in easy reach: product models, vendor models, tslots catalog, etc. I'll float things in space and start connecting them. If I get stuck, I'll print a few screenshots and start marking them up. I'll print 3 or more copies and try to solve the problem in a few ways. I don't like to have too many alternatives in the cad at the same time. I leave the papers on my desk and poke at it during virtual meetings.

I still map out a process on paper or onenote first: pick this part, move it, place it, install the next component, etc. This builds into lists of what we need like pick this part needs: orient part, singulate, feed, bulk input from bags, etc.

Now I review special considerations like we need to load parts around elbow height, this thing is loud/bright and needs guarding, etc.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I'm the onshape guy and can report that PDF drawing exports work with the free version. I've done many 1 to 1 prints to use at patterns in the garage. It runs in a browser so it's pretty easy to try.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Drawing chat: At work, all our designs ultimately become a drawing package and they all go thru one VP for approval before leaving the dept. This means our drawing standard is the VP's style. That leads to convos with new hires where I agree they're technically using some standard correctly but the boss wants it his way. We also have slight style differences depending on the process: machining, fabrication, water jet, or grinding. Most of them work off the sldprt file in mastercam and ignore the drawing until the inspection at the end of the job.

SW performance: Lately I've added Assembly Visualization and Performance Evaluation to my workflow when checking designs. It is very easy to see the downloaded vendor cad is way too detailed, make a screenshot, and have the designer defeature it. I had one where 8 cam followers were double the triangles of the hundreds of screws in an assembly. Usually there are only a handful of components that have a huge impact on model performance.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Superfastmatt has some basic 3d scanning info videos that I learned a lot from. He's scanning under car features so pretty close to your bandsaw.

https://youtu.be/qEDek-ztaAw
https://youtu.be/MTE7XbOJvgk

edit- oh I didn't see your pic. That looks like a great scan, plenty of info but wrong scale. I might find something to be a datum, "trace" it in 3d (draw a solid over it), model another datum as actual size, compare measurements, and scale the scan that much. Pick something easy to measure like overall width or the spacing of the 2 studs

And NFM, I also had a righteous reaction to Thomas' thick revolve workflow. It changed my opinion of him haha

bred fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 24, 2023

bred
Oct 24, 2008
If it is every once in a while, I use zoomit sometimes to get those critical clicks. CTRL-4 is the live zoom mode: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/zoomit

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I reuse sketches a lot when I'm creating a placeholder for purchased components that don't have cad or have too complex cad. I sketch the drawing and dimension it like the vendor's specifications so other users can confirm it quickly. Then I build features from that sketch until I have enough for the team to work with.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I'm reading that you want to end up with a bunch of rectangular polygons that are the size of each cabinet body. Try drawing the big polygon and split them into bodies with a sketch of the seams. Reference the elevation sketch to place the seams.

Another option is to have a top view floor plan and extrude each to the appropriate vertex. Also could use reference planes assuming there are just a few depths (cabinet depth, counter depth, etc.)

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Ya balance it on each edge with an angle finder to see the balance angle. Then rough out the overall shape in cad and draw planes at each edge at each balance angle. they should come together close to the center of mass point.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

, SolidEdge,

My coworker was just praising the free SolidEdge today. Has anybody here used it? I use SolidWorks professionally (daily) and OnShape at home (quarterly lol). I think being in a browser is an advantage as I do most of my onshape work on a chromebook on the couch or in the garage. I think I'll try solidedge when i get some time and maybe that freecad 1.0 when it comes out.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I've cast my own urethane body mounts. It was shore 80 and harder than I imagined, closer to a plastic block in my case. I got a small 2 part kit from smooth on. Mcmaster has this nice chart. From how youre talking about the squish, I think you want about 60A.

And I'll suggest a design change. This should make the math easier.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Phone posting but I swear Misumi has online configurators you might want to use. I remember configuring an entire rectangular prism in extrusion that includes brackets and hw into one part number after seeing a banner ad about it. I don't have personal experience with their extrusion but something like that would simplify things.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I thought tslots had a solidworks plugin but now I see they have an online design tool:
https://www.tslots.com/tbuild-design-software/
https://tbuild.io/

edit And here is the misumi configurators
https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/mech...Display=mc-list

bred fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 11, 2023

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I haven't seen that site before and I'm interested in your experience with it if you end up using it. We use TSLOTS at work and we have a bunch of templates, macros, and a library of standard parts. Most of the parts auto mate with mate references and the template/macro combo makes the BOM TSLOT readable.

I leave stuff like that crooked screw as it lays. I argue it still makes an accurate BOM and the assembler will know how to put it together. My time is too precious for that kind of work.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Might be able to find an ornamental/decorative material that has the look you want to start with.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
My coworker sent me this deal on 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. $38.40 for a year so I think I'll give it a try. I've been happy using onshape at home but last weekend I got hung up drawing a sword and realized I could do this so much faster in SW. My home time is so precious these days.

It is available December 17, 2023 to January 7, 2024.
https://discover.solidworks.com/3dexperience-solidworks-makers-EOY23

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I've had a lot of success tracing images. I think scanning is more accurate than taking pictures. I try to take the pictures from far away to flatten the lens error. I've also cut paper templates, traced things to paper, done a pencil rub, etc. Once it is squished to 2d we can start tracing. One I haven't tried is projecting light and tracing the shadow.

There is a big difference between the requirements to interface with another part and visual similarity. For example, if we're talking about the curves on a cape for an action figure, I'd take some artistic liberties to minimize my labor and make it look close enough. But the way that cape clips onto the action figure would need more critical details.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
A rule of thumb that I follow is that the squeeze is part of the zeroing. You've zeroed at a certain force, so match that force when measuring. Not so much that there is one true force but the consistency is important.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Terms I've seen for this is indexing or clocking the thread. From what I understand, some guns have to index the barrel where it attaches to the receiver. Mass production probably has a validated process with specs on each part developed at the cost of several parts. One offs are made, tested, and adjusted to fit by smiths.

You might have more success doing something like flower petals in slots. Have it so when the locking tabs are in a lock, the petals are unable to pull out. Remove the lock, do some fraction of a turn, and lift off. I'm trying to think of something fundamentally simpler that will work in fewer iterations and secondary operations.

Second thought, split the thread from one locking tab so there are three parts. Cap with tab and thread, thread sleeve, container with tab. Plan to glue the thread sleeve to the container on assembly. Seat sleeve into cap to preferred tightness, line up cap lock tab with container tab, mate parts with glue.

bred fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 21, 2024

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I see fully tightened and thread indexing as competing features. Ignoring supports, a one part print will need air between the parts so they dont fuse. This is loose, not a fully tightened state. So the model has the tab X degrees from locked position.

A tight threaded joint is two coils of leaf springs pushing each other opposite directions.There is contact stress and tension there that doesn't exist when printing.

I think a 3 part design can get the tight cap and indexing.

This is a valve with LOTO locking tab https://www.trexwatertrucks.com.au/lockable-dump-valve-3-2-with-1-4-ports

Another thought is to move locking and sealing to separate parts. Like a thermos with an inner and outer cap. A threaded cap to seal and a flip on locking cover. Or a slipping cover like a baby proof doorknob.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Oh I see, I missed the part about stopping the thread where the other one starts. I guess I'm trained on taps so I just mentally avoid the end of the thread. I see that working like a repeatable stop and allow you to predict the tab alignment position. It will entrap the cap when locked but I don't see it feeling tight or holding air or water.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Very nice, good job.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I recommend a thru drill and thru tap on that part. Is 10/10 a 10mm deep pilot with 10mm depth of thread? I was taught some 3,5,7 blind thread/tap rule. I don't remember it all so I assume the last 7 threads don't exist in a blind hole and design around that.

Do you need the internal 45d profile? Square would be easier.

For that drawing, you should put all the outer dimensions. Overall length, width, height, T width, etc. Think if you were checking a part with a caliper and that drawing. Give dimensions so the checker can read 40 on the calipers and see 40 on the drawing for example.

For the Misumi service, I was evaluating that at work and one of the cons we had were it only supported metric tapping. Can it do imperial now?

And ya, see of you can buy that tnut material in lengths. Then cut, drill, and tap.

bred fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 4, 2024

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I watched the video on the page and it looks like it helps with fixturing. Imagine fixturing that upright with individual flat parts. This trades easy bends for fewer parts.

I would not ask it to hold a load through a bend like that. The structure is compromised to allow easy bending. Stitching the corner would bring strength back.

I think it will help with non 90d structures and smaller things. I'd say it can be good enough for an electrical enclosure, heat shield, faraday cage, sun shade, etc.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Ya, go for it. I'd like to see how it turns out.

Here's a nice video about building custom enclosures. He designs them as two U shapes that come together with flanges.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RopgrECLSJc

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Perpendicular slots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I tried a sketch with a line it it with plans to use it for a sketch bend later. I drew a new sketch with the first slots as lines, offset the lines with arc caps. Extrude cut that. Then linear patterned the feature along the line. I tied the pattern to the sketch with an equation. Then I did the sketch bend on the first sketch.

edit, this https://www.reddit.com/r/SolidWorks/comments/xjlofc/flat_pattern_to_apply_to_sheet_metal_bends/ says to use fold/unfold. Like design your bent part, then unfold it, add cuts, fold back.

bred fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 12, 2024