Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

The hole wizard tool is similar to the groove tool in that it's more specific application but does a lot of the get dimensions from a book work for you. Or you can spec a m4x.7 threaded hole and it'll grab the tap.drill size, give you options for visualizing the major and minor diameters, etc. Same for counter sinks, choose you fastener type and head clearance and it'll make it deep enough.

This is super valuable for any kind of shaft fits, choose your nominal diameter and desired type of fit and it'll put an appropriately dimensioned hole in the part for you.

Knowing when to use a specific wizard type tool vs build the geometry yourself can take a bit of time but eventually becomes pretty smooth and can save massive amounts of time.

Does anybody know if there is something like this for Fusion, too? I design a lot of stuff that's e.g. a part has a hole in it that an m3 screw goes to; the part it touches will be threaded m3. I'd like to be able to have one "hole" feature and then say "this part gets minor/tap diameter" and "this part gets slip-fit diameter." Then if I want to change it to m4 or m5, just update the base feature and everything propagates through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I was in the process of trying to learn when I got SW at home and I'm not sure if it's from learning SW first but man it's more intuitive. And I'll never forgive fusion from not having an offset both sides function for sketch geometry.

Slot tool with no radius?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ethics_Gradient posted:

The next hurdle would be getting the relief smoothed and finished a bit more (some areas higher than others, etc), I found a tutorial where the guy used Zbrush for that step around the 5' mark and something in that vein looks ideal - would the Sculpting tool in Blender work for a relatively simple application like this? For borders and other symmetrical parts of the design, is there a program that offers a good way to copy or duplicate the work you've already done?

You're basically trying to make a bas relief mesh. I know Zbrush has an actual tool to do that. You can also look into a lithophane generator to take grayscale and generate .stl from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f25h308PVlg this video seems to make it look pretty easy.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

some kinda jackal posted:

I have an OpenSCAD question.

If I want to create a cylinder with a chamfered TOP, is there an operation I can apply to just the top face, or am I limited to creating two overlapping cylinders like
This is with maybe two hours in OpenSCAD so maybe I'm missing something ridiculously obvious.

For chamfered cylinders, I will either do a rotate_extrude() on a 2d shape, or an extrude() with a scale factor on a circle.
code:
desired_height=20;
desired_diameter=10;
chamfer_size=3;

module chamfered_cylinder_a() {
    rotate_extrude()
        difference() {
            square([desired_diameter/2,desired_height]);  // the main body of our cylinder
            translate([desired_diameter/2,desired_height,0]) // move to the top outer edge
                rotate([0,0,45]) 
                    square(chamfer_size,center=true); // subtract off a corner to get a fillet profile
        }
}

module chamfered_cylinder_b() {
chamfer_ht=desired_height-(chamfer_size/sqrt(2));  // our cylinder is this tall until the chamfer starts
chamfer_scale=(desired_diameter-(2*chamfer_size/sqrt(2)))/desired_diameter;  // the chamfer ID is this ratio to full cylinder diameter
cylinder(h=chamfer_ht,d=desired_diameter); // a full cylinder up to the bottom of the fillet
translate([0,0,chamfer_ht]) // move up to the top of that cylinder
    linear_extrude(height=desired_height-chamfer_ht,scale=chamfer_scale)  // extrude another circle
        circle(d=desired_diameter);
}

translate([-desired_diameter/2,0,0])
    chamfered_cylinder_a();
translate([desired_diameter/2,0,0])
    chamfered_cylinder_b();
no worries about OpenSCAD. The learning curve is weirdly lumpy. You suddenly learn how a tool works and then it's brilliant and you can't think of any other way to do it... except the easy way.

Edit: Doing a minkowski hull with a sphere gives a filleted edge. You can play around with the second shape in the rotate_extrude to get different edge profiles.
Edit2: for comments

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 16, 2024