Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is this also a stupid question thread for stupid newbies?

I was trying to sweep this donut profile along the straight path but even though it previews fine in some instances, it's never actually created when I confirm the dialog. I've tried several different paths but it never seems to work. The errors don't really make much sense for me.

For now I just extruded a section, rotated it and then cut it up with planes, which works for now even if it's not exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Have you tried putting the profile at the bottom of the curve and sweeping it in only one direction?

Like I would just draw two sketches, one with the two profiles and one for the path

And sweep away

Thanks, I did try moving the path around including over and through the profile with no success, and finally just tried creating a new one from scratch which worked. No idea what was wrong, probably something was just off enough to break sweep's brain

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good way (for an idiot) to design some tube-frame stuff? I'm thinking like a go kart. I've seen that it's possible to do with Fusion which I'm familiar with, but it looked kind of awkward.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I was a bit suspecious when there were like 20 new posts here. I think it's a very good idea, definitel do it OP.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The Maker version of Solidworks and the Weldments toolset (you'll need to read the tutorials/watch the many videos on Youtube on how to use Weldments to do some really cool frame designs fairly rapidly)?

Hey NewFatMike does the Maker version of Solidworks have that toolset?

NewFatMike posted:

Check out a tutorial on SOLIDWORKS weldments- it has a full tool suite for exactly this kind of thing. Might be worth trying $10 for a month to check it out. It’ll even spit out a cut list for your chosen tubing/pipe size so you know what and how many to cut.

Other useful tutorials might be for 3D sketching as well.

lol Biracial and I on simulpost - yeah it has full SOLIDWORKS professional tools. So sheet metal, weldments, mold tools, I think even some MBD stuff is in there. All that stuff is part of SW Standard.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out. Finally there's an exuse to learn solidworks a bit :)