Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr. Despair posted:

I'm a CAD novice (currently teaching myself Solidworks to make simple 3d printed bits and bobs, and I've used autocad in the past to update P&IDs), but I just want to chime in that the free 3dBuilder app that comes with windows can be pretty useful for a lot of stuff. I think the guy who designed and made a belt style 3d printer entirely in it was a bit crazy, but I do like making quick changes to things with it.

Yeah it may be worth mentioning that for simple stuff, there's programs like Windows 3D builder for Windows 10 or TinkerCAD (which is now web based) that are simple. They're definitely not serious CAD packages, they're pretty basic. However, if you're doing hobbyist things they may be worth a look. TinkerCAD is owned by AutoDesk and is often used in schools for the kids learning to use the school's 3D printer. If you're going to put some time into learning some CAD software it's definitely worth considering going with one of the big boys, though. They have way more tools and options than you'll need for basic stuff but doing a couple of tutorials will get you going with the basics and you can build on that knowledge later.

It may also be worth mentioning SketchUp which was a free program for doing stuff like houses and furniture and got bought by Google to become Google SketchUp. They spun that off into a paid version but the free one is still around on the internet. That said, it's bad at making solids, it's best for making 3d representations of things. It's fine if you want to sketch out where you're putting things in a room but bad for making a model to 3D print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm not sure if its related beyond the company, but mentioning Siemens reminded me that they have their Solid Edge CAD available as a community edition for makers. I grabbed it when Fusion 360 started getting more restrictive but haven't tried it out yet:
https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/community

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno what SAAS means but I like to imagine it's something like Sucks rear end And poo poo.

Case in point I got this model I shared once on the autodesk forums of a tri-axial hinge and people keep PM'ing me years after the fact if they can download it so I had a link so I could share and they could download. But just now this no longer works, sharing files so they can be downloaded is a pro-only feature now.

gently caress autodesk, gently caress Fusion. I'd rather pay 40$ a year for this student edition of solidworks than use fusion for free.

It's Software as a Service (subscriptions), so yeah, you're right.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The drill press needs to be a walker bot like Chomp from Battlebots evolved into. They get 500lbs (double weight) for being walkers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGCnHN983q0&t=100s

Get that drill press into the ring!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Corporations don't want some of the money, they want all of the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

How does an electronics and cad man just not have a 3d printer? Is that allowed?