Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Yes.
Planes, sketches, and axes will set you free. They're incredibly powerful tools. Need to make an odd cut? Project a plane and draw a sketch!

Yessir! I've also realized over the years how much I abuse the poo poo out of construction lines. They can be super helpful for constraining things.

I think there should be a SW gang where the initiation is fully doing the fillets on an intricate casting part, and then touching something earlier in the tree without it exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Couldn't you just have a horizontal line with three other lines coming of it at 120 degrees bounded by the (I'm assuming) table profile rectangle? That way you can just tweak the length and move stuff around.

I'd also suggest doing a Thin Feature extrude so you don't have to make the extrude width in the sketch itself.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

criming later SW editions isn't worth loving around with because of how aggressively Dassault goes after people who aren't 100% successful at stopping the program from dialling home and snitching. Or so I've heard.

I think they target people attached to a business sounding email address even more aggressively, but they simultaneously have their IP law firm send you a threatening letter while a 3DS rep strong arms you to pay for a subscription equivalent to whatever version was installed before sending your "case" back to the IP firm.

So if you installed Premium that happened to have the Inspection add on to mess around with a few random grabcad files or something, that's $15,000 they're coming after you for right off the bat.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

honda whisperer posted:

It's fusion. Autodesk sucks but for $500 fusion slaps.

That's the yearly price, no?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Freakin' fillets in Solidworks, man

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What horrors have they inflicted on you today?

Incidentally fillets are so bad in my experience that I use them as a litmus test when evaluating other people's models. You can tell if someone really knows what they're doing if they keep the bulk of the fillets at the end of the tree.

Breaking on full rebuild literally randomly, randomly deleting faces, showing complete fillets when full preview is enabled then saying the feature can't be created, fillets working on one side of a symmetrical part but not the other, I could go on.

I do get a chuckle when it always recommends a face fillet if anything fails regardless of what the circumstances are.

And I agree 1000% that how people structure their fillets definitely shows if they've been through some poo poo before or not. Draft->fillets at the end of the tree crew 4 lyfe :c00l:

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

I really hope nobody has to inspect an actual part against that

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

this is giving me hives

Pretty much doing any surfacing in solidworks

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I use a Logitech mx3 with Solidworks and really the only special thing I use it for is setting the two buttons under my thumb to "normal to" and "escape". The rest is mouse gestures.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Ngl, the dimensioning to sharps made me twitch.

Unfortunately, good tolerancing and layout skills are built over time by having to clean up the aftermath of fuckups

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Right click and Show Sketch on the sketch under the feature, then when you're in a sketch for the other feature you can Convert Entities or whatever off of it.

Overall sketch visibility has to turned on too.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

As a habitual abuser of these specific tools - don't get too enamored with them. They are very useful and save time up front but if you ever want to make more than small changes to the base sketch it'll likely blow up the convert->trimmed sketch.

Yeah, convert entities can do weird stuff like just straight up losing track of features that never actually changed. Getting a feel for what could blow everything up and how to avoid it is a very valuable thing to learn.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
In my experience sketch patterns in Solidworks can do weird poo poo a lot, so I usually avoid them unless it's something really simple.

jammyozzy posted:

My least favourite thing is opening a big casting or something else complex that's already released and finding under-constrained sketches in it.

This will get a shiv between the ribs in my neck of the woods

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
My Solidworks can't activate because a Windows update changed the unique ID of my computer in the licensing thing, which is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah fold/unfold is like a cheat code once you learn about it, just make sure to double check it doesn't create weird edges that are physically impossible to manufacture.