Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Fusion 360: Ohh, look at me, I can change a dimension when you change a number.

Grasshopper: Hold my beer.

I can only imagine the hoops I would have to jump through with Fusion360 to talk in the archaic language my robot arms speak. With Rhino+Grasshopper and some python I'm 90% of the way to synced movement of two.

Liking the SubD stuff in Rhino 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Ambrose Burnside posted:

less cad, more design, but:

a good english-translation digital scan of Ivan Artobolevsky's rare and long out-of-print Mechanisms in Modern Engineering Design vols 1-5, the holy grail of mechanism reference in the soviet union (for excellent reason), fell into my lap recently. i go in there looking for the best compact-yet-robust/reliable way to reverse the force on a pushed or pulled rod without using bellcranks or gears and its...

helplessly lost in the sauce. holy poo poo dude you gotta hit this poo poo

Love looking through those books. Achive.org has them in pretty good resolution

https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Ivan+I.+Artobolevsky%22

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Enjoying playing around with Grasshopper Player. Rolling your own parametric tools is oddly satisfying. There's also potential for license fuckeries through abuse of python stuff, but not exactly the smoothest workflow (plus I already bought a license!)

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Wanderless posted:

Anyone in this thread have experience with Grasshopper? I'm trying to do something I think is pretty straightforward but I think I'm missing something obvious and my attempts to google solutions haven't gotten me anywhere. Also while I have things working to the point where I do, I'm pretty sure there are better ways. This is in Rhino 7. I suspect some of my confusion is because the only documentation I can find is for Rhino 6 and there seem to be some big differences.

The thing I'm struggling with the most is trying to select a subset of a data file. Essentially I have CSVs full of timestamped coordinates and want to be able to filter visibility by that timestamp. I can go into more specifics but don't want to clog up the thread with a giant post unnecessarily. I'm mostly bashing together random stuff from youtube tutorials so I may be going about it completely bass-ackwards.

not a huge amount of experience, by I like abusing grasshopper. In this case I'd use ghpython to filter the list of points, but I think the more grasshopper-y way would be something with trees. searching the components page in grasshopper docs, there's a component called sunflower that has a datetime filter thing, might work! More detail and a sample of data would be useful.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Stay classy Autodesk

e: the body is blank, save for tracking pixels

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

Of course, if you're a little more open-minded and don't specifically need a SolidWorks style parametric modeler, Rhino has even better modeling tools and deeper functionality than either SolidWorks or Fusion, and it's $995 one time for a permanent non-expiring commercial license.

$875 from GoMeasure3d right now in their Black Friday sale. Just bought the upgrade to 8, ShrinkWrap alone is worth it for me.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

goddamn rhino's great

raw open 3d scan mesh -> shrinkwrap -> quadremesh. literally three clicks

Yup! The previous workflow for that was painful. Pulling a useful nurbs surface after the quad remesh is a breeze.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
that's some mighty fine grasshoppering.

dickbutt stitch for 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Goons are so freakin cool.

Is Grasshopper included with Rhino? And is it reasonably easy to learn for someone with no programming experience or is it a whole thing in itself?

Grasshopper rocks! It is included with Rhino. Grasshopper is essentially a node based visual programming language. I know for me it meshes well with how I work out problems in 3d space. YMMV, but it took me 1/10th of the time to do something in grasshopper than it would take me to do in anything else. If you like factorio, you gonna love grasshopper.
One of the biggest issues I find with it is the lack of a good change management system.
Just got 3 phase installed, so I'm resurrecting my project to make a grasshopper node a la robodk/Kuka|prc for my Staubli robots. Grasshopper 2 is in alpha (beta soon), but is a game changer for me, as it includes python3, and a whole bunch of qol improvements.