Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
It's a neat idea, but you're going to run in to the problem that inevitably a) some kid raised by feral machinists on a diet of scribbled-on napkins is going to take some garbage drawing and still get it dead on, and b) the yahoos mucking it up even with the finest drawings in the land. Still like the idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Can you properly constrain a NURBS curve though?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh, that's very neat then.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

NewFatMike posted:

I mean, just look at the “drawings” people are making. This is based on a file that was designed in Fusion 360. Which is free. And also has free drawings.

I drat near had a stroke, and the Fusion model isn’t much better.

If this is what folks are making gazillion view YouTube videos with, what are they going to do with Blender being bent to do this???

WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

This feels wrong on so many levels, but unlike AI-generated art I can't just count the fingers to put my finger on why. Someone explain because it haunts me. (Apart from not having any tolerances, actual engineers and people who really ought to know better have a terrible tendency not to specify those.)

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

NewFatMike posted:

They’re using diameter symbols on radii, there’s no scale (see 6.5mm diameter arcs larger than 7.5mm arcs), the offset of 0.25mm suffers from cosine error, no datums (read: no references in the reference docs), no indication if the 0.5mm tolerance in the top is 0.25mm about the mean, or 0.5mm below the mean is acceptable or if 0.5mm above the mean is acceptable, routine use of “~” which is exactly what tolerances are for, no consistency in decimal places, no indication if whether the bracket it falls into is the baseline or if the thing that sits in it is the baseline, the list goes on! The longer I look at it the worse it gets.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

It's because it doesn't actually communicate what it's supposed to in a human readable way.

Drafting standards were developed carefully over decades to communicate a huge amount of information efficiently and consistently. This "drawing" is like a cargo cult version of one with a dose of just making up formatting. And that's before the blatant errors NFM listed.

In general drafting is neglected even in industry because it's just not as important anymore as the 3D data is the driving information. I've made parts for mass production where the drawing had like 5 dimensions in it. It was on a proper template with good formatting of course.

Ahhh, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanations, it was just so wrong I couldn't process it.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh, so that's why FreeCAD was being weird and fucky. Well, at least one one of the reasons. Between that and the absolutely dreadful UI it's probably time to give Onshape another go, as much as I loathe having everything stored online.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Apparently if you use FreeCAD in exactly the right & idiosyncratic way you can avoid TPN issues. If you're a reasonable person who feels it's rather absurd to not instead fix the issue so people don't have to contort themselves around glaring flaws in the software you can just go gently caress yourself basically. Which is very typical of open-source software indeed sadly.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

honda whisperer posted:

A decent chunk of my current job is

Inspection: features off location
Me: ok
Me to machinist: holes off location, can you pull this program up
Machinist: sure, here it is
Me: finds sketch that made that hole... This is blue, that's bad
Machinist: hunh I thought it was good
Me: drags the unconstrained hole around a bit
Me: dimensions the hole
Me: see how it turned black? Never ever stop till they're all black. Also check all this poo poo before you make your CNC program. I'll check it for you. Make the guy next to you check it for you.
Machinist: sure I'll totally do that all the time. (They do not)
Me: hey customer can we slot / weld this thing?

Repeate forever :negative:

I swear before God and everyone, the absolute worst person at this... We wanted to get one cam nerd going in the lathe dept. Every model he made, all blue. Nothing fully constrained. He would dimension stuff and then delete the dimensions because it was to cluttered. It just never clicked.

This answers questions I never wanted to ask, and makes me want to hit the sauce early. Machining totally isn't precision manufacturing at all, just eyeball it like a fly-by-night builder. That last guy though...

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

honda whisperer posted:

He never got past the model it stage and was solid at writing programs at the control.

In everyone else's defense they're making insanely complicated stuff all day everyday. People will miss stuff, they're human.

The insane thing to me is it's mostly oops missed a dimension on this part where I held all these pockets flat, parallel, and to a depth +/-.0001"

Seeing that always throws me for a loop, but yeah, people are human. Still a bit wild to me though, constraining your sketches is such a basic aspect, and one that gets reiterated so many times.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I got my start in CAD in AutoCAD, got to use Solidworks for a bit, which worked for me except was far too expensive as a hobbyist. I bounced off Fusion because of Autodesk's scumfuckery (which has only gotten worse since, quite the achievement), and suffered through FreeCAD's idiosyncrasies and criminally awful UI for a while until giving Onshape a go because of this thread. I can actually get poo poo done without having to fight an interface designed by sadistic aliens. Actual instruction/documentation is fab too, no longer having to rely on some of the most antagonistic people in open source for information.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What makes anyone think OnShape won't also start to roll back free features? They gotta make money too. I remember SW making it harder to get a free education version or loving with their free/cheap offering recently too.

This (and the mandatory connection) has been my main source of reluctance wrt Onshape, and to be honest, the cynical part of me is just waiting for the other shoe to drop and the free version get hobbled. Until that actually happens I'll use it, and if/when it does, we'll figure out what to do then.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I somehow doubt the simulation package for Onshape has the data for dodgy, expired carbon fibre. Though the finest software in the world is no match for a billionaire's ego & misguided self-confidence.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Speaking of threads and thread callouts, is there any way to add additional types beyond ANSI & Metric in Onshape? I need to designate a hole to be tapped as Tr 12 x 2 trapezoidal thread, but I can't find how or even if you can do that.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
All I need is the annotation, I wondered if there was something I'd missed somewhere that lets you put those details in the model, but for this admittedly very rare occasion, I'll just do that. Thanks!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh gently caress yes, love me some textile nerd poo poo. Also because the circle from Jacquard looms to 3D designing and printing cams is just delish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I know the spec for maximum permissible error on Mitutoyo calipers (digital and vernier) ranges from +/- 0.02 mm to +/- 0.05 mm. Depending on what you're using it for that may not matter at all, or be far too coarse, but it's something to keep in mind.