Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

This isn't software related but I figure the resident goons would know. What tools should I be looking into to better take measurements to make my models? I have some cheapo calipers and the usual decent drafting mech pencil and notebook. I somehow don't have a ruler around here which I'll sort soon (open to recommendations but I'd presume "straight" and "largely accurate" are fine) but I'm curious if there are other bits I might need. I don't seem to have a good way to handle curves and so on, but that can largely be accounted for via getting the diameter and slapping the radius into my CAD software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Good quality calipers are the first step. I think Mitutoyos are the best, but these are about 1/3 the price and almost as good: https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Digital-Electronic-Caliper/dp/B00INL0BTS

I personally would not get any calipers that don't have absolute zeroing if you plan to use them regularly. Those iGaging ones are the most affordable ones I've found with that feature. I have my Mitutoyos at my workbench but I keep a 4" iGaging in my bag.

Mechanical dial calipers, or even actual vernier calipers, are also an option if you like. I have both but honestly just for speed these days I stick to the digital ones. Cheap calipers kill their batteries all the time; absolute-zeroing ones don't.

That may be more than I need and I suspect an order of magnitude more than my Ender 3 can handle but boy I’m about ready to chuck the cheapo calipers I got for something else due to the battery and constant zeroing.

I’ve got that set of radial whatsits on order already, a depth gauge, and a pocket steel rule with one of those clip deals on it so I should be mostly set. I’ll deal with the cheapo calipers for a bit longer and swap them out for the good stuff if I keep at this.

On a separate matter, how is solid works on M series Macs these days? How readily available are “extended trials” if I was to go that way? I’m pretty happy with Onshape, but the fact it’s browser based is driving me a bit insane.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

This is tangential to CAD but I figure someone here can point me in the right direction.

I’m trying to sort out how to get angle of the diagonal bit on the bottom right in the picture above. That should be a bit of Trig to sort out but I don’t have enough pieces to work with as best I can tell and it’s been long enough since I’ve had to do this that I can’t recall what additional mathematical tricks I could use to get enough data to do a solve. Does anyone have a suggestion?

EDIT: As far as tools on hand go I have: Calipers, ruler, protractor w/compass. Using the protractor is straightforward enough, but I'm at a loss as to how to get the angle of the piece of furniture I'm pulling these measurements from. It looks like that would be an Angle Finder, so I guess I'm off to Lowes/Ace.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 28, 2024

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That's what I suspected but I remember you can get really stupid if you want to so long as you're off in "2D land". As for the shape being open, this is just the important part of the thing I'm trying to make a mount for so that's not a going concern. I've got an angle finder to pick up from Depot here in a bit that should give me plenty to work with.

I've got a neat idea to extend the 15.5mm bit at the bottom there past a hair and then using a screw/nut to keep it in place on the X+ axis as pictured. Y and X- should be accounted for via fitting to the shape so the only thing unaccounted for would be Z +/- (towards/away from the viewer's perspective) which actually may be desirable so the mount could be adjusted as needed. Apologies if that makes no sense, I don't have the lexicon for this stuff nailed down.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The drawing is just an approximation I’m afraid. Already gave my shiny new angle-getter so we’ll see how close you and my drawing were.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

No, I mean you can do that in real life on the object. Put your ruler up against this piece that sticks out, then put your protractor on top of it, butted up against the bottom. Measure the angle between the protractor and the ruler.

e: just realized i didn't line the protractor up correctly :sad:

Well poo poo, that would be a bit easier now wouldn’t it? I’ll give that a shot after I use this fancy new angler finder.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

In a stroke of fate I really should have seen coming the angle finder is too long to work with this drat end table so I just used the ruler+protractor method mentioned by friend Sagebrush. It looks to be about 110 degrees if anyone was wondering.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh that might make me doing this mount a good bit easier, I'll have to take a look into that.

On a related matter, how do most CAD programs handle implementing things like screw holes and so on? Given they're a standard size I'm surprised that Onshape (as best I can find) doesn't have a "generate a screw of X type" option so you can intersect with your object and remove what you want that way. Not that it would be particularly hard to do, but it seems like time wasted that you'd be running into pretty frequently.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh hey, that hole feature sure does do most of what I want. Thanks for the info. I don't particularly care about the screws, but insetting nuts and so on. That said, I think I can get where I need to be with this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sick bong bro

Kidding, that's super interesting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I realized I could replicate and print off some replacement clips for some accent blind whatsits that I've been meaning to replace since we got this place the better part of a decade ago. I grabbed one of the few unbroken ones, got out all my tools, traced it off, and got it into CAD. Took a couple of hours.

It was nowhere close to right.

So I took a picture of the drat thing. Threw it into CAD, traced it off in about 5 minutes, and am currently printing it off and it looks spot on. When will I learn?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huh. I have that purchased already, how does that work with CAD?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's everyone's favorite SendCutSend kind of site but for machining odd one off parts?

This is the part in question:

It's a guide that will slide along an aluminum track. I've confirmed fit/dimensions with a 3D printed prototype but would like to get a few made in metal for durability etc.

Aluminum is fine, I guess 6061? Some places have 6061 and 6061 T6-I have no idea what the difference is, same for Type II anodizing vs Type III. Have I given enough info on the dwg for hole location and thread information or do I need more there? Other dimensions are all in the .step file for the model all those sites have you upload.

It looks like a pretty long T nut, you might be able to just email one of the sellers of the smaller ones and see if they could do something for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

God I really need to sit down and properly learn/go through the tutorials for Onshape. It's been a minute since I fired it up. Still wish they'd do a proper local client.