Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

I haven’t given OnShape a try, but maybe should. I generally stick with Fusion 360 but get real annoyed at the restrictions. I then try FreeCAD for a bit and slink back to Fusion.

Are there CAD packages out there for potential commercial use that don’t cost thousands per year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

The Makers sub for SolidWorks is pretty generous. I think it allows up to $5k (or is it $50k?) of revenue to stay qualified. And it's like $40/year.

48/year but the limit is $2k. I’d looked at that but I haven’t used solidworks previously and didn’t dig far enough to see if there’s a free trial.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Fusion is like $500/yr and while there are things I wish it did better, it does seem to be the best bang for the buck for a small-scale commercial shop like me. I have never tried Onshape tho-what restrictions in Fusion are you running into problems with?

E: looks like Fusion is $680/yr now, but still half as much as Onshape's basic paid version. Idk if Onshape has any CAM capability if you need that? I only do very basic stuff with a CNC router, but Fusion's integrated CAM has been pretty easy and painless to use for me, a noted idiot.

I’m using the free personal plan at the moment and the restrictions there are annoying. I’m looking to do more professional stuff with it and looking at the options for upgrading from “maker” versions to actual software without the “haha, now you owe us tons of money every year, which we will also raise every year”