Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Like, I know some machine shops just have a standard set of tools loaded in the tool carousel and they never change them except to replace a dull tool, but knowing how to set up a different tool for a specific program is CNC machining 101.

The "old guard" guys in the shop I'm working with are starting to retire and these new guys coming in are having to be trained in how to read Vernier calipers/micrometers and loving tape measures.

I'm in school to be a machinist and it's nothing but calipers and micrometers for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

So I often have some time at work when the machine is working for half an hour or something, and decided to learn some SW. The tutorial they had on hand was very basic and focused on assembling components.

Can someone point me to some more in-depth tutorials, and ones that don't focus on assemblies? Those aren't really relevant to me.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Not trying to make anything specific, just thought learning SW would be a good way to spend otherwise dead time at work. I want to learn to draw models and tolerance them, seems like it'd be useful.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting that book.

I'm not really a project sort of person, and while I have made models from the technical drawings of the stuff I machine, I don't think I'm going to push further than that.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

sharkytm posted:

You should change that. Projects are the best way to learn the necessary skills. poo poo, give them away or whatever, but making something is pretty much the way to learn this stuff. A book is a fine reference and a starting point, but they're going to have you making models of stuff as part of the progression.

Quick ideas: machinist's hammer, auto center punch, cell phone stand/case, etc. They don't need to be complicated 50-part assemblies, but a variety of shapes and model types would be useful.

No, I shouldn't. I need my spare time to not be related to work to recuperate from work.

I feel it's pretty lovely of you to presume that I have energy to put into personal projects.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Even if they aren't personal projects done in your own time I would agree projects are the way to learn CAD, so I would find some job projects to do. Start with modeling the parts you are making, make an assembly model of your vice, toolholders, that sorta stuff. If you make a vice stop or setup things, do it in SW, etc. Trying to make actual things, running into problems and then solving them is gonna be the best way to learn.

Alright, I'll see what I can do.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I was given a license to Fusion 360 and told to go practice making some parts. I tried out the Titans of CNC academy and NYC CNC stuff, but all I can find is in inches, and I'm a European heathen so I only work in metric. Am I missing something, or am I poo poo outta luck?

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 18, 2022

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I'm told a lot of welding shops in my area still rely on AutoCAD to make fabrication drawings and stuff (what do I know, I'm a machinist)

It's still so popular that the local trade school sees itself forced to teach it to welding/fab students.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah that is unfortunately going to be true for a lot of machine shops. Machinists are the absolute worst stodgiest crankiest old grognards about upgrading their software. "I bought this computer for $5,000 in 1988, and now you're telling me I have to buy a whole new one???"

My comment was specifically aimed at welding shops. Machine shops in the Netherlands are by and large pretty progressive about acquiring new machines/tools/software/robots. (Though they tend to underutilize all of the shiny toys they have)

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Inventor isn't the worst thing to be stuck with by far.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Just gonna drop in to say that the new thread title is A+

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

A decent vernier caliper should go a long way.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

The workflow makes reasonable sense. I'm not sure what the exact problem is but if you're looking to extrude the bump from the lid into the bin, you can start a sketch from the underside of the container and use the project geometry function to get the shape of the bump into the sketch, and then you should be able to extrude.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Along with what bred said, a few dimensions/features get more than one call out, and I'd remove the extras. And you should consider adding some tolerances to the part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

How have you tolerated everything? If the locking mechanism is too tight-fitting my immediate response is to give the mechanism a little more room in the problem spots.