Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Didn't know this thread existed! I'm curious about user access in a Fusion 360 team - I posted this in the hobby CNC thread originally. Fusion 360 team projects can be "open" "closed" and "secret." Apparently the default is for them to be "closed" which requires other members to request access. Is there a way to change it so the default is "open" when anyone creates a new project? Also, is there a way for an admin to batch change a bunch of closed projects to open? Right now it seems to take like 6 clicks to select each project, open the sidebar menu, open the settings, change the access, click OK, and then click Cancel because clicking OK doesn't close the access popup. This is the first I've dealt with this because I've been the only one using Fusion in our small shop until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

NewFatMike posted:

I was noodling on this — are you only using the desktop interface? I have to imagine the stronger management tools are on the web interface.

I was using the web interface, you basically can't do much of anything file management-wise besides make new projects and move stuff around from the desktop application. You can request access through the app, but then I need to grant access in the browser. :shrug:

It's ultimately not something I'll run into very frequently but eh.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

He would dimension stuff and then delete the dimensions because it was to cluttered. It just never clicked.

:wtf:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Unless they specify some other preferred workflow, send a PDF with the artwork rasterized to at least 300dpi at the exact size that you want it, or convert any text to paths. If you are providing them with a vector path to cut out the stickers, obviously that should stay a vector and not be rasterized as part of the printed image. If you have artwork that incorporates anything more than basic solid filled vector shapes (with gradients, lots of layers, etc) then its usually best to just rasterize it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ryanrs posted:

So when you say to put raster graphics in a PDF, the benefits of PDF over straight raster like PNG are physical units/sizes, and a vector cut line?

e: "convert any text to paths" sounds very much like Solidworks' "dissolve sketch text", which would solve the font issue

Basically right, yes. I've run into scenarios where the receiving software will interpret some default DPI when viewing a raster image and change the physical size as a result. That's usually easier to fix if it's caught, though. The entire point of PDF (in theory, nothing's perfect) is to have the document/image viewable how you intend it to be, anywhere.

And right on the second bit, dissolving the text or converting it to regular vector paths in Inkscape eliminates the font issue. Much more important as you've figured out.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

The Eyes Have It posted:

Hey, if I'm looking to get a metal part made from e.g. Xometry but I want a threaded hole, what's the industry-standard way to handle that?

Like, from a manufacturing perspective do I actually model a M3 threaded hole... or do I just mark it as "thread for M3 plz" when it comes to fabrication? What does the metal-part-making industry expect for this?

Xometry specifically will also ask for a drawing with thread callouts when you check the "there are threads in this part" box.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
And then you forget to add the units once in a while and the sketch element gets hilariously large or small depending. :eyepop:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

NewFatMike posted:

What are you planning on making it out of? Checking to see if the relevant profile is included in any tools I have on hand might be handy.

Onshape is free and good. The Frames feature should be exactly what you need. The blog post below has a little video to show how it works, and they’ve got a link to the Frames elearning course in it. I’d probably check out the regular fundamentals first, but I’m not your dad:

https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/use-parts-build-frames

This is rad as hell, poo poo. Coming from SW with weldments to Fusion with fuckall, this is making me want to use Onshape more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

NewFatMike posted:

Not strictly CAD , but great news nonetheless:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/whats-new/

Inkscape is fantastic stuff, but boy howdy am I glad to be able to fire up pro software I paid for once to do my 2D work.

Whoa, finally.