Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I took AutoCAD classes in high school(when autocad still launched in DOS lol I'm old) and I was certain it was what I wanted to do when I got older. I even worked for a while for a company that installed nurse call systems and intercom systems in schools as their "autocad" guy that did the layout of everything. I was fresh outta high school and it was my first real job. I liked it but I had a long commute and the money wasn't that great so I got a new job and haven't touched a CAD program since.

I really should get back into it since I now have some 3d printers and while just printing off other peoples designs is fun I'd like to learn to make my own and be able to manipulate those designs to better suit my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

There is a rumor that Solidworks is going to experiment with offering a $99/year subscription license for hobbyists/makers sometime this year, so I'd look into the tutorial videos for it on Youtube or LinkedIn to get familiar with the workflow (because it is a wildly different perspective from old-school CAD).

I work for a place that still uses old 2D CAD for some product lines because the shop workflow doesn't "benefit" from having multiple Solidworks licenses to do all of the 2D CAD drawings for those simpler products, and some of the younger guys they hired out of college in our Engineering department had no loving clue how to correctly draft things in AutoCAD for the couple weeks it took to teach them how things work.

Going from a software that accurately applies dimensions to sketch lines to one where you have to accurately draw the 2d lines and then apply dimensions was a serious mind-gently caress for them.

Hmm, through my work we have full access to LinkedIn Learning, so I'll def head over there and check out the courses they have.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Hey CAD people, help me out here.

I have this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4345459) STL file that I need to make bigger as this shroud is made for a smaller fan.

I need to enlarge just the base of it so that the holes are roughly 3" apart from each other all the way around and not change the dimension of the mount on it.

What would be my best way to accomplish this?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Do you have any CAD software files, or just the STL?

Unfortunately just the STL file :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Have a look at this and see if it'll do the trick. I can make adjustments pretty quickly if something doesn't seem quite right. It's kind of a kludge, but it's a kludge that should print just fine. :)

https://www.farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl.stl

Awesome! I'll check it out after work today. I don't need it perfect, just big enough to cover the vent fan and still be able to screw in the 3M filter to it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

The much smarter version of me just realized exactly what you were doing this for. I'm running a short piece of the mounting plate right now to check the hole spacing against the E10 itself. Should have a yea/nay for you in about 20 minutes.

e: Yeah, don't bother printing that one yet, sorry. I did a thing wrong. Fixed version to follow shortly.

e again: Those drat fan screws are 2 13/16 inches apart. This one ought to fit right. https://farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl_fixed.stl

You rock!

Printing it out now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

The much smarter version of me just realized exactly what you were doing this for. I'm running a short piece of the mounting plate right now to check the hole spacing against the E10 itself. Should have a yea/nay for you in about 20 minutes.

e: Yeah, don't bother printing that one yet, sorry. I did a thing wrong. Fixed version to follow shortly.

e again: Those drat fan screws are 2 13/16 inches apart. This one ought to fit right. https://farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl_fixed.stl

Fit perfect!

Now to sell if the filters actually work to suppress/filter out the smell. Thanks again!