Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

queeb posted:

my google search history is like an afternoon of "how do i do x in fusion360" lol. now that im kinda getting into it though it all makes sense. CAD is really neat.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Don't tell anyone but I've been using solidworks for like 10 years and I still do that at least every couple days.

I’ve been using AutoCAD since r14 and I’m still learning how to do new and better things. Google makes it way easier.

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

Using a spacemouse to traverse Excel sheets is one of the best reasons to own one

Until for some reason after it’s bumped it doesn’t centre and makes you think your mouse is busted.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Basically scan some sort of complex geometry (the underside of my bandsaw) to model dust collection attachments. I've gotten scans into Fusion from Scaniverse, but the scale is way wrong while it seems right in the app. Something that should be 3/8" thick is showing up as less than 1/16". I guess maybe I could design the things and then scale them up in PrusaSlicer based off a known final dimension when I go to to print them?+

E: this is what I can get into fusion, it just thinks that whole thing is 1/4" wide instead of like 12" wide

e2: I guess as a workaround I can take screenshots of the model and import/scale them and use them as canvases behind my sketches

Can you tape a feature of known size (6” ruler or something) to an area inside your scan volume that isn’t critical, and scale the model at the end so your features are the same size?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Onshape and SW Makers Offer have better mesh modeling tools than Fusion, if this is going to be a consistent workflow. It’s part of the parasolid kernel they have in common.

Additionally the SW Makers Offer will let you pull your geometry into the web based xDesign app which can do generative design/simple linear static simulation if you’re going to be simulating a lot. They call it a design study in that suite.

The Makers Offer is still rough around the edges, but it’s inexpensive ($100/year) if you need that functionality.

Keep an eye out for sales on that price too. Make magazine had a sale code for Black Friday last year, dropped my price to $90 CAD pre tax.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Any CATIA users here? I’ve got a dumb as hell question.

How do I rotate the camera view? There’s mixed compatibility with SOLIDWORKS controls on 3DX apps and IF YOU HAVE A loving AXIS SYSTEM TO MOVE THE SPACE MOUSE MOVES THE AXIS SYSTEM INSTEAD OF THE CAMERA.

It’s cool I love it :shepface:

Middle click to center view, middle + left or right to engage rotation around the centre, then release left right to zoom, press left or right mouse again to reengage rotation. When in rotation mode, Inside the circle rotates, outside rolls camera.

If there’s a specific question for 3dx solidworks I have the makers edition if that helps.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Thanks! The SW stuff I'm great with. MMB + LMB to rotate the camera view in CATIA apps is wretched. Turns out I have to save my navigation preferences in every installation of those CATIA derived 3DX apps like DELMIA Machining and CATIA Lattice Designer.

Thanks for the help! Speaking of the 3DX SW Makers Offer, I am *amped* about the updates to 3D Sculptor coming this weekend. You can finally extrude and revolve primitives and even do a loft-like merge. Instantly makes the software way more usable.

I was doing it on a travel mouse with a stiff middle button the other day for a few hours. Not fun. Grabbed my mouse from home the next day. And yeah, peak Dassault to have to set up the same thing multiple times.

Cool; I’ll check it out.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Huh. Dassault did something good? I just got an email for solidworks for makers annual sub dropping from $99 CAD to $48 CAD per year. Anyone else seeing it? Anyone found the hook yet?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Just got the email from Dassaut on the Makers price change.

They REALLY want people to go annual.

That's going down to $48/year.

But later in the email it says that monthly is going from $10 to $15.

So I guess if you just need it for a short project less than 3 months, then that's worth it, but anything more than that, go annual.

No other changes mentioned in the email.

Ah, there’s the hook. I’m already annual due to a Black Friday special, so they didn’t tell me about any of that in my email. Any bets on how long before they jack the prices?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Inshallah the web tools will get expanded. 3D Creator is pretty great on my iPad Pro, and I had a lot of fun messing with the browser based sheet metal tools. I managed to get them to include CAM, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed I’m equally compelling for the other stuff :v:

Browser based sheet metal?? Is that in the maker’s sub, or an add on workbench?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

If it’s not in the system options, probably not. It’s their branding thing to unify with the CATIA interface which uhhh causes me to sigh routinely.

It kinda looks similar, but the dialogue boxes are nothing near it from the last time I poked at it.

Also the solidworks cloud sheet metal is cool, but I keep getting bombarded with instagram ads for catia at the same price, no clue on the work benches though; shame I’m not doing enough with it at home to warrant that cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

Just wanted to try OpenSCAD but I'm not married to it. I've spent two hours trying to figure this out when I could have done it in like 30 seconds in onshape or something. I like the idea of checking this into github for others to consume so I don't necessarily want to move to another tool.

Onshape is public on a free account, others can directly consume your models if they can find them.

There’s also scripting, revision control and branching too.

I’d suggest you take a look before you continue fiddling.