Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Eyes Have It posted:

Hey I have a quick CAD question as it relates to getting poo poo made.

If I want to put some kind of an engraved pattern into a piece of metal, something like this:

How does that process end up happening, in the land of CAD and actual machining?

If it were being done by laser, I'd know how to handle that but if it's engraved in metal it seems to me it needs to be machined and modeled into the CAD file... or is this sort of thing a special case in any way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8wwRXPMFfU&t=291s

Basically you feed a fly cutter or a face mill with only one tooth through the material real fast, and the cuts end up coming out like that.

Normally you'd run the flycutter at ~1200 RPM and 10 IPM, to get a smooth enough finish for use. This is what happens when you run it at 400 RPM and 35 IPM.

Asking the shop for 'Fly cutter flat knurled pattern' should get them more or less on the same page. Sending them the video could also help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sagebrush posted:

adjust the height of the indicated surface as needed to get the lid to stop spinning at the right location. If your thread has a 4mm pitch, then adding one 0.1 mm layer will change the closed position by 1/40 of a rotation, or 9 degrees.

If you need it clocked more accurately than single-digit degrees, I'd consider building in some sort of an extra mechanical stop.

You can also test-fit that by using shim stock or pieces of paper or cardstock.