Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Why would anybody design a multi-body part intentionally when Top-Down design in Assembly Mode exists?

Weldments, rexroth frames and items like packing crates are a few things that spring to mind i have used multibodies for in the past and are much less annoying than doing by assembly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Rhino goons, I have a couple of basic questions maybe someone can help with. I have a mostly Solidworks/Onshape background so this stuff is a bit new to me.

1. Is there an option to disable selecting far side faces/edges/vertices when box or lasso selecting? I would like to just select items on the near side of the model sometimes.

2. With SubD objects, is there at way to push or pull selected faces/edges/vertices to a target surface? I have a model with some wavy underside, and I would like to select those areas and pull them flat to a known surface. Sort of like projecting a curve to a surface but moving points of a SubD object.

e: Rhino 7

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

1) not as far as I know, lasso and box have always been select everything

2) not sure if it'll work here but I usually flatten out things by rotating my part so what I want flat is along a coordinate axis plane and then using the scale slider on the gumball to scale the z height of my points to zero which makes them all planar normal to that axis if that makes sense.

Thanks! I worked out #2. Turns out there is a "Pull Curves to control points" function that does exactly what I needed, BUT the initial result is pretty rough and your idea worked very well to clean it up :)

I'm basically making shoe lasts from 3D scans, and after a lot of farting around getting it to work in solid modelling, I've worked out how to do it all in Rhino in about 5 hours. Once I have a process it will probably be a fraction of that

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I had no real content to add, except that I started a new job, we use Inventor, and I hate it.

Mostly just it's extremely clunky UI for views/view directions and coordinate systems.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

CAM question, so maybe better for the hobby CNC thread but...

I'm tooling around with a little 3018 CNC mill, trying to mill some Delrin with a single flute end mill.

In fusion 360, the options for '2D Facing' stock are all back-and-forth (see below), but Delrin seems to only get along with climb milling. If i set to climb only, it just retracts and travels back to the starting end every single pass.

(Massively increased stepover for clarity)

How do I get it to face in a clockwise spiral pattern without retractions? I pretty much want to get it to treat removing 2mm of stock the same way it does with a 2D pocket operation.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Of course I figure it out soon after I ask. If anyone is interested...

Created a dummy surface same size as the top of the stock,

And select that as the 'pocket' to do a 2D adaptive toolpath on:

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

IMO onshape has really good hotkeys and once you learn them the ui is nicer than most CAD programs for the majority of stuff

E: I also really like multiple selections being the default mode (rather than holding shift or ctrl) with space to clear, I really wish I could do this in inventor

complete sidebar: inventor kinda sucks but holy gently caress is autodesk vault a huge pile of poo poo why do i now admin my works vault :negative:

simmyb fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 10, 2023

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

As my works Vault Admin, I think Vault is a huge piece of poo poo*

*mostly the Change Order and lifecycle state change stuff. Just checking things in and out is fine.

That said Inventor has grown on me over time and I don't miss solidworks constantly crashing and corrupting stuff

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Just learned I'm allowed to use my work Autodesk login at home (doesn't link to any work data) which is subscribed to the whole Product Development package :cheersdoge:

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

NewFatMike posted:

I've been poking through Onshape training because I'm aiming to get their cert, and their fundamentals have been extremely good. If you know someone trying to get into CAD, it's kinda hard to recommend a better place to start:

https://learn.onshape.com/learning-paths/onshape-fundamentals-cad

They have a few extra courses about the data management, direct editing, and managing in-context references, but I'm going through it all to see what's up.

Also, tomorrow is the day Dassault Systemes throw the big gently caress-off switch on including all new sales of SOLIDWORKS with the 3DEXPERIENCE PDM/PLM stuff included. It's not ready at all, like two weeks ago nobody had a search bar (and there is no file hierarchy) :shepface:

Do you have a pro (or whatever it is) OnShape license? If so, how do you find the PLM/data management stuff. I always found it a bit messy in the free version, and I recall a sales rep explaining the pro stuff and it sounds promising in terms of being intuitive and easy to navigate, but I've never tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Just drag the thing god drat