Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TerminalSaint posted:

This guy took me from utterly clueless (my most relevant experience was making a half-life 2 map a decade before) to being able to CAD up pretty much any part I need for 3D printing. For example, I'm working on a custom controller for space games:

Thanks for the link, your parts look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Augh I just tried to take a design for an ergonomic keyboard (redox manuform) and edit the fusion 3d file to have alps opening rather than just cherry MX (just making the holes slightly larger) and so went back, back, back in the timeline along the bottom, made the change and then let it play forward and it totally hosed up the design. I have a lot to learn.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

What are my options for adding organic/natural-looking textures to parts I'm designing, across SW, Rhino 6, and Aspire? I'm mostly looking to turn perfect-flat plane surfaces into something with a liiiiiiittle bit of roughness and height variability, without any visible tiling or repetition. Also interested in much fancier/more ornamental texturing, being able to simulate hammer-textured metal would rule, for example, but just being able to add some noise to a surface would be a great start.

I kinda experimented with this recently, was making curtain pull knobs and googled 3d print knurling to try and find something. The easiest thing I came up with was to use the coil tool in fusion 3d to cut a spiral groove in the cylindrical part, but then I found out this slicer software called IdeaMaker has a texture feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-ygdNQThAs

The interface is pretty wonky but it does work

mewse
May 2, 2006

Commodore_64 posted:

Also, at the bottom of the last email, after they figured out that they sent the previous to several people:

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential and/or privileged.

If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this email in error,

(i) you should not read, disclose, or copy it,

(ii) please notify sender of your receipt by reply email and delete this email and all attachments,

(iii) Dassault Systèmes does not accept or assume any liability or responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email.

Please be informed that your personal data are processed according to our data privacy policy as described on our website. Should you have any questions related to personal data protection, please contact 3DS Data Protection Officer at 3DS.compliance-privacy@3ds.com

For other languages, go to https://www.3ds.com/terms/email-disclaimer

Whoa whoa buddy, copying and pasting that here is a crime!! It says confidential right there!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm thinking of buying the new fusion 360 beginner's course from prusa academy - saw mentioned on a fb group that the quizzes are quite challenging.

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 13, 2023