Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Well... that Marauder II is not a Marauder, the II is a 100 tonner built for the Wolfs Dragoons so its quite a new mech on the sphere, also very mean mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Amaris must've missed a Nightstar factory.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Nightstar was originally designed to bodyguard the Marauder II, IIRC.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Nightstar was originally designed to bodyguard the Marauder II, IIRC.

They were built to protect standard Marauders. Amaris loyalists figured out fast that commanders liked to pilot Marauders, so the Nightstar was created to..."dissuade"...enemy units from getting too close.

The Tex Talks Battletech on the Marauder briefly covered some of the Marauder spin-offs, though he claims Nightstar production facilities were destroyed during the course of the Amaris Civil War. Sarna, on the other hand, says it was during the First Succession War when the people who knew how to build the things were killed in a Marik raid and by industrial accident.

Mutant Headcrab fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 25, 2021

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I can't find any record of this anywhere, but I was sure the Nightstar was created for Mechwarrior 5, and remaining Nightstars were some of the rarest mechs in existence. Am I completely confusing it with another mech?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Mutant Headcrab posted:

They were built to protect standard Marauders. Amaris loyalists figured out fast that commanders liked to pilot Marauders, so the Nightstar was created to..."dissuade"...enemy units from getting too close.

The Tex Talks Battletech on the Marauder briefly covered some of the Marauder spin-offs, though he claims Nightstar production facilities were destroyed during the course of the Amaris Civil War. Sarna, on the other hand, says it was during the First Succession War when the people who knew how to build the things were killed in a Marik raid and by industrial accident.

“industrial”. “accident”

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Natty Ninefingers posted:

“industrial”. “accident”

I can assure you that all verified and trustworthy investigations came to that conclusion.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

MORE NIGHTSTARS MORE NIGHTSTARS MORE NIGHTSTARS

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I mean, at this point Poptarts could possibly do a Nightstar Scout Lance

If he hadn't probably sold all the excess Nightstars, at any rate.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I love this game, but goddamn the devs were sometimes so dumb.

How did they code up trigger that drops a heavy lance (anni, stalker, 2 heavies) behind my back, let them act on the same turn, think that this makes sense? How did this poo poo make it past anything like QA? :argh:

(For bonus points, the trigger fired when I was already facing a heavy vehicle + heavy mech group, and decided to first pick off the SRM carrier)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gothsheep posted:

I can't find any record of this anywhere, but I was sure the Nightstar was created for Mechwarrior 5, and remaining Nightstars were some of the rarest mechs in existence. Am I completely confusing it with another mech?

Maybe? I'm not sure any new mechs were created for MW5. The Nightstar is from TRO 3058 which came out in 1995.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The PGI originals are the Roughneck (good), Sun Spider (trash), and Corsair (good). I don't think they had any others.

Edit: I don't like the Sun Spider's aesthetics. It would be fine as an IS 'Mech, but it just doesn't really match the Clan design style.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 25, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What percentage of the Nightstars ever produced do you currently own?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The original factory ran for 21 years at SLDF production levels, so there could have been several thousand of them.

In hindsight: it was probably a mistake not flagging the Nightstar as SLDF. I thought it wouldn't be too bad to have one of the HoS 'Mechs turn up semi-commonly and Gauss Rifles are one of the only things that do make me stop and ask "Ok, how do I approach this?" but thanks to Nightstars I have enough Double Heat Sinks that I can afford to casually sacrifice them in stupid ways.

With all the random SLDF Tech that starts turning up (way more than can be explained by the appearance of the Dobrev), I'm of the opinion that Yang did a pretty terrible job blowing that Castle Brian. :v:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 25, 2021

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Or he was better at covering his tracks than we think and he's been selling access to it through a backdoor behind our backs :tinfoil:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

In hindsight: it was probably a mistake not flagging the Nightstar as SLDF. I thought it wouldn't be too bad to have one of the HoS 'Mechs turn up semi-commonly and Gauss Rifles are one of the only things that do make me stop and ask "Ok, how do I approach this?" but thanks to Nightstars I have enough Double Heat Sinks that I can afford to casually sacrifice them in stupid ways.

I think you should keep it, this is funny. Call it a difficulty tweak!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Random gauss rounds coming from out of the fog of war is terrifying, so I would say keep them as is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The triumphant return of through-armor criticals.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I did not have enough free time to record any missions this week, so there won't be an update.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The original factory ran for 21 years at SLDF production levels, so there could have been several thousand of them.

With all the random SLDF Tech that starts turning up (way more than can be explained by the appearance of the Dobrev), I'm of the opinion that Yang did a pretty terrible job blowing that Castle Brian. :v:

Meanwhile they only made six Devastators. Hopefully that's because someone said "hey we already make the Nightstar and Pillager, what are we even doing?"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
BattleTech: Restoration Campaign – Episode 16: Endgame

PTN’s note: Events that have a choice tied to an Argo upgrade are always positive in some way. The ones tied to an advanced upgrade is always better than the ones tied to a basic one. :pseudo:

Careful, Commander. This drop looks like it might require more firepower than that. I recommend that we field some heavier ‘Mechs, or hold off on this mission until we can find some.
What are you talking about? It looks fine to me.

:smuggo:

Mission 92: Liberation: Tyrlon (Story, Commentary)

Rewards: 1,728,000 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 JM6-A JagerMech part, 1 QKD-5A Quickdraw part, 3 SDR-5V Spider parts (‘Mech complete)

Our ambassadors have been in communication with representatives of the Federated Suns, and they are negotiating a deescalation of force along our shared border. All cooperation between the Taurian Concordat and the Directorate has officially been terminated.
We have also withdrawn our fleet, and Director Santiago Espinosa has been recognized as an enemy of the Taurian state. Should he ever dare to leave Aurigan space, he will have us to contend with.
Finally: I will personally review your reports of Taurian war crimes in the Reach. If I find them credible, I will hold Commodore Ostergaard accountable for his actions upon his return.
If what you've told me is true, he will stand before a firing squad—you have my word.
With that, our business is concluded. Be well, Lady Arano.
Protector Calderon wishes you success in your campaign to come.

That actually sounds pretty great, Commander. No, seriously.
After the war is over, maybe we could take a little field trip and leave all this ridiculous infighting behind.
In any case, Lady Arano... I think that congratulations are in order.
With Tyrlon liberated and the Taurians out of the war, there's nothing left between us and the throne.
The Directorate still has one card they can play. They have Lord Madeira.
When we move on Coromodir, I will negotiate for his release... but first, I must rally the Founding Houses. When I travel to Coromodir, it will be with all of our allies—and their armies—at my back. I want the throne world's skies crowded with our DropShips.
What about the people there? When your invasion fleet touches down, will you have their support?
Yes, I will. Every victory we've won has shaken their support of my uncle. His popularity as a leader is shattered, and when the time to invade comes, the majority will side with us.
With our fleet filling the skies and our supporters in the streets, my message will be unmistakable. Everywhere my uncle looks, he will see the Arano cormorant—the symbol of my House, and of our unshakable resolve.
Don't forget about us. When you talk to that bastard, I want to be right there by your side.
You will be, Five Aces; you have my word on that. "Director Espinosa" will see our strength—the strength of our fleet, of our unity, of the loyalty of our people. And he will return Lord Madeira to us, or we will destroy him utterly.
Be ready for my call, Commander... together we will bring this war to a close.
Yang, rip the TSM out of the Dragon, please.
Boss?
I had an idea.

Mission 93: Bug Hunt (Assassination, No Commentary)

Rewards: 360,780 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 3 NSR-9J Nightstar parts (‘Mech complete), 1 MAD-3D Marauder part, 1 VTR-9S Victor part, 1 Medium Laser++, 1 LCT-1M Locust part, 1 VND-1R Vindicator part

Nightstars aren’t even worth talking about any more, huh?
Next time, you should use more explosives.
… Yeah, I think you’re right.
That settles another question, too.

I'm not here to talk with you, Uncle. I'm here to demand your surrender.
Then you'll walk away from this parlay disappointed.
Did I teach you nothing, Kamea? The endgame is a time for negotiation, not demands.
I remember your teachings well enough, Uncle. If our positions were reversed, you would attack me without hesitation or mercy.
The Founding Houses have rallied behind me. You are outnumbered and outgunned, and you have nowhere left to turn. And aside from a single hostage, you have nothing to negotiate with.
"A single hostage"? He's your dearest friend. Surely he means more to you than "nothing."
Alexander means a great deal to me. But I would sacrifice anyone person—even myself—for the good of the Reach.
You are defeated. Concede.
I've heard your proposal; now you hear mine. You will leave this system in my hands and solidify your power base elsewhere. I will rule Coromodir, and I will hold your friend to ensure your good behavior.
You will agree to these terms, or you will die.
I will die? Your words are air, uncle. You have nothing left to threaten me with.
So you believed when you moved on Castle Nautilus.
I think that you're bluffing, and I'm willing to wager my life on it. I'll see you on the field of battle.
Yes. I suppose you will.

And it may be Alexander's as well... but there's nothing we can do about that now. We can't delay the attack.
You heard my uncle's demands. He made them knowing that I'd refuse. I think that he's stalling... but I don't know what for, and that worries me. So I've decided to take the option away from him.
Darius, raise the Founding Houses on the comms. Tell them that I'm ordering them to drop. All of our companies, our entire fleet—everything we have. As always, I will lead from the front.
We're taking Coromodir, and we are doing it now.
Five Aces, I want you to remain at ready until I call for you. Prepare your MechWarriors and wait for my signal.
We are going to crush what remains of my uncle's Directorate. With your company's help, I will retake the throne that was stolen from me. And come hell or high water, we will rescue Lord Madeira. I swear it on my father's name.

Thanks for that ray of sunshine, Yang.
Did any of you see the wall behind Ostergaard? There were burn marks, bullet holes... what looked like small arms fire. His sailors must've tried to seize the bridge.
If there was a mutiny attempt on the Iberia, it failed. And as unhinged as Ostergaard may have sounded, he was right. We can't withdraw our troops without the Directorate cutting them to ribbons, and we can't stop a Fortress-class Dropship.
...At least, not through conventional means.
Then we'll have to be unconventional.
That's right.
And that's why we're going to use the Locura.
Nuh-uh. No way.
Lady Arano, that code completely screwed us at Castle Nautilus. It nearly detonated our fuel tanks! It's too dangerous to go tinkering around with, we can't—
We don't have a choice, Sumire. It's the closest thing we have to a weapon that could destroy that ship.
If I were wrong about this, Farah would've told us by now. Tell them, Doctor... we can do this. Can't we?
Yes... I think we can. Even if it doesn't destroy the Iberia, it'll cripple her long enough to take her out of the fight. But that code is a science experiment, not a weapon.
I think that I can modify it into one, but there will be risks involved, and I can't offer any guarantees.
I can't say I'm in love with this idea, but I haven't heard any alternatives.
That's because there arent any. Look, Lady Arano is right—she and her army are righteously shafted if the Iberia makes planetfall.
You wanna tell me I'm wrong, Meyer? Because if you know something about this situation that I don't, I'd love to hear it.
You're not wrong.
...This sucks. But yean.. the alternative is worse.
We’re gonna have to try it and hope for the best.
It sounds like we're all on the same page. I'll go ahead and get started.
We're still going to need a way to get the code onto Ostergaard's ship. I'd suggest taking over a ground-based communications array... something on a network that the Iberia’s computer trusts.
There's a Directorate comm station on Lyris, the throne world's second moon. It was the system's primary communications hub during my father's reign, and my uncle uses it for the same purpose now.
You could use it to transmit the Locura, then destroy it—the control tower is automated, so there shouldn't be any collateral damage. You'd be killing two birds with one stone.
Stoping the Taurians and destroying critical post-war infrastructure? I’m game.
I like how you think. I'll rig the explosives.
We're likely to encounter heavy resistance when we touch down. I'll see if I can find an engineering solution to help us deal with it... maybe my team could seize control of their turrets, make them fight for us for a change.
You should probably try to bring a jump-capable lance if you can, Commander. Comm arrays like the one on Lyris tend to be housed on elevated platforms, with lots of ramps and choke points.
Thank you, Doctor. We're hinging everything on this plan's success—it is vital that Ostergaard's attention remains fixed on me and the Restoration Army, to the exclusion of your operation on Lyris. And so, I will give him something to focus on.
I'm accelerating our offensive. We're marching on the Directorate's final stronghold—Cordia City. The capital of Coromodir.
It'll look like you're overextending yourselves. That's good—he'll be eager to punish you for it.
Give 'em hell, Lady Arano. We'll rendezvous with you on Coromodir when the job is done.
We've got a job to do, people... and it'll be the biggest challenge we've ever taken on. So put on your war faces and follow the Commander's lead. We've got a DropShip to crash.

Mission 94: Locura (Story, Commentary)

Rewards: 3,141,600 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 5 Medium Laser++, 1 ON1-K Orion part (‘Mech Complete), 1 VND-1R Vindicator part

Our people. That's what this has always been about, you know. Had you only listened to me, I would never have taken your throne.
I didn't desire power for its own sake. My only care was for the Reach. Its prosperity. Its enduring glory.
And yet, you reached for that glory on the backs of our people. This... thing that you've built... it isn't who we are.
Your Directorate has fallen, Uncle. Clinging to it will not help the Reach.
Nothing will help the Reach—not anymore. This war has doomed us all.
The realm bleeds, Kamea. We're weaker now than we've ever been. And soon enough, the sharks will begin to circle.
If that happens, Lady Arano knows where to find me.
You're a talented mercenary, Johnny Fiveaces... I'll give you that. But can your company hold off the full might of the Capellan Confederation? Or the Federated Suns? How about the Free Worlds League?
When the knives fall on the Aurigan Reach, you won't be able to protect it. Nobody will.
Neither the Confederation nor the League even know the Aurigan Reach exists. We’ll be fine.
That's a problem for another day. The truth of the matter, Uncle, is that you have only one more decision to make.
Will you surrender and save the lives Of your soldiers? Or will you allow your pride to condemn them?
As I said, niece, this was never about me.
Coromodir is yours.
NO! Father, you cannot do this—the Reach depends on the Directorate for survival! For glory!
You told me yourself that if we fail, the realm will die!
The Directorate has already fallen, Victoria. We've lost.
Continuing to fight would only cost more lives.
Cost lives? Cost lives?! You ordered me to kill eleven thousand people on Perdition, and now you care about bloodshed?
There is an ocean of blood on my hands, Father! I spilled it because you told me it was necessary!
And it was. But our gambit has failed.
It's over, Victoria. I know that's hard for you to accept. But you must stand down.
No, Father. You may have gone craven, but I am a MechWarrior. I will die before I concede defeat.
You want this world, Kamea? Come and fight me for it. Your lance against mine, at the tourney grounds. The contest that was denied us. You and me—to the death, for the Reach!
Aren't you tired of death yet, cousin?
Was the Perdition Massacre not enough for you?
I did that for the Reach! For our people! It was my responsibility... I didn’t have a choice!
But... you don't understand. And you never will.
...And so, I will make things easy for you. You don't have to understand why I've done the things I've done. You need only face me in the arena... where I will best you, as I always have. As I was trained to do.
You will give me what I want, or your dear Alexander will pay the price. My father was too weak to kill him, but I am not.
Accept my challenge, Kamea! Accept it, or I will grind him to pulp under my BattleMech's foot!
I almost pity you. You'll have your fight, Victoria... and yours will be the last blood that I spill in this war.
Prepare your MechWarriors, Five Aces. When I face my cousin in the arena, I want your company by my side.
[Background: Frontier Pirate] Sure, but I intend to fight dirty. Any objections?
None at all. Victoria's more than earned whatever punishment you care to dish out.
Have your lance meet me at the tourney grounds. It's long past time that we brought this war to a close.
Careful, Commander. This drop looks—
Trust me, Darius. We’ll be fine.

Mission 95: Showdown (Story, Commentary)

Rewards: 4,094,400 c-bills
Noteworthy Salvage: 1 AWS-8T Awesome part, 1 CTF-1X Cataphract part, 1 JM6-S JagerMech part

I owe you a great debt as well. Without your company's help, I would be dead.
I consider it a great honor to call you my friends.
If you ever get tired of politics, you're always welcome on our crew.
A compelling offer, Commander Fiveaces.
I'll keep it in mind.
It's a new era for the Reach, and I have your company to thank for it.
The Directorate has fallen, Victoria is dead, and my uncle is in chains.
You'll give him a show trial, I imagine. I'd appreciate an invitation.
There will be no trial... at least, not in the Reach. Alexander gave me a better alternative.
Don't worry, though. My uncle will receive his taste of justice soon enough.
Consider my curiosity piqued. What did you do with him?
We've handed him over to Protector Thomas Calderon, to be tried as the mastermind of the Perdition Massacre. His war crimes tribunal is being assembled as we speak.
The Taurians were quite appreciative of the gesture.
I'm sure they were… and that's the last we'll hear Of Director Espinosa.
And they call me ruthless.
He brought his fate upon himself.
I'm afraid that our time is growing short, Five Aces—we have a great deal of work to do if we're going to recover from this war. But if you have any final questions before we move on to the subject of your pay, I'll be happy to hear them.
Before we talk money, I'd like to hear what's next for the Restoration. After all we've been through, I feel invested in your success.
I was wondering the same thing. I mean, you've retaken your throne, and that's wonderful, but the Reach is in ruins.
How are you planning to rebuild?
Slowly, and with great caution. We can't afford to spread ourselves too thin... but neither can we leave our more marginal systems hanging.
In the short term, we're going to need to secure funding and support from sources outside the Reach. The economy of the old Aurigan Coalition is all but destroyed, and our infrastructure is in extremely poor shape.
How do you intend to go about getting that support?
However we can. Political marriages will be invaluable... our sovereignty is our greatest asset, and I'm still thinking through ways to capitalize on it.
We'll have difficult times ahead, to be sure. But we will weather them, Commander Fiveaces. The Reach is nothing if not resilient.
And now, Five Aces, we should move on to discuss your company's compensation. You've certainly earned it.
For your exemplary work both on and off of the battlefield, your financial debts are now forgiven. Those were the terms of our arrangement... but you deserve a little more than that, I think.
From this moment forward, the Argo is yours—I relinquish her into your control. You may consider her a bonus for a job well done.
A second token of my appreciation is on its way to your Mech Bay now, Five Aces. Please accept it with my compliments.
Now that I’ve reclaimed my throne, the Reach is again at peace. As such, I imagine you’re more likely to need this Atlas II than I am. Take it with my compliments, Five Aces—you’ve earned it.
I don't often get overpaid by my clients. I could get used to it.
I'm sure you could.
And with that, Five Aces, I'm afraid that I must return to matters of state. My people need me, and I must get back to helping where I can. You will always be remembered as friends of the Reach—every one of you.
Goodbye, Kamea. Rule wisely and well. Make Raju Montgomery proud.
I'll try, Five Aces. Believe me... I'll try.
Farewell, my friends. I wish you success in your adventures to come.

I guess that's it. Our contract with Lady Arano is over, the Argo is ours, and we're free to do whatever we please.
Man, it feels weird saying that. We can do whatever we want—we're not beholden to anybody.
It's a pretty sweet feeling, I've gotta say.
So... who else wants to go find some new trouble to get into? Peacetime is beautiful and all, but it's starting to feel a little stale in here.
I'm game if you are. Trouble is our business, after all. And we've got more than enough BattleMechs to handle whatever fate throws our way.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm in the mood to earn a few C-Bills.
Roger that, Johnny. You all heard the Commander—take your stations, and make it quick.
We've got an open sky ahead of us, and there's money to be made.

That Atlas II looks nice in our ‘Mechbay, that’s for sure.

1.5 ‘Mech kills per mission, exactly? I’ll take it.

Injured more than 20% of the times he was deployed :haw:

A respectable performance from a back-up pilot.

54 ‘Mech kills in a Spider.

Hard to believe we're free agents again... and debt-free, to boot.
It feels good, I've gotta say.
The war's over, like you said. Where do you want to go from here?
Honestly, Johnny? I don't know. And that's a hell of a luxury for a man like me.
For the first time since Espinosa's coup, we are free and clear—of our debts, of hostile governments, of the need to plan ahead. We could take the whole company to Herotitus for a month of shore leave, and we'd probably be okay.

Hey, Commander. Can I help you with something?
The war is over, and Lady Arano is back on her throne. Where do you think we should go from here?
Honestly, Boss? Wherever you want to take us—and that's the truth.
Noble-born or not, you're a hell of a good mercenary commander. I'd follow you just about anywhere, which is convenient, because I can do it without leaving my bunk.
Now, as for what we do from here... that's where I'm gonna start getting opinionated.
I want new 'Mech chassis to wrench on. Weird 'Mech chassis. If you can find me a custom job, I want to play with it.
A Hunchback with twelve support hardpoints? I want it. A Stalker with paddles for arms? Bring it this way.
Look, I don't know what we're gonna find out there... maybe nothing. But the galaxy is a big place, and there are oddballs like me all over it. I refuse to believe that we've already seen every 'Mech design we're ever gonna see.

Commander Fiveaces. What can I do for you?
What do you think we should do now that the war is over?
Personally? I'd like to head out into the Deep Periphery if we ever get the chance.
I mean... who knows what we'll find waiting out there? There could be cultures we've never met, colonized systems we've never even heard of. There could be LosTech hiding out there, far away from the prying eyes of the Inner Sphere. It's a region that's ripe for exploration and adventure.

Hey, Commander. Can I help you with something?
We're free agents again. What do you want to do now?
Get rich. Earn enough money to roll around in. Stock the galley with Cassildan clam steaks and kegs of Timbiqui Dark.
Do you want me to keep going? I can keep going.
Go ahead. These are all good suggestions—I'm taking notes.
I want more comedy Holovids in the rec room. None of that action or horror stuff that Darius likes. Those weird Lyran cartoons that Farah's obsessed with are okay on occasion, but she has, like, a thousand of them, and a girl can only take so much.
Speaking of the rec room, doesn't it feel... I dunno... cold to you? Some hardwood furnishings would help. I'm thinking mahogany, or teak. We could panel the walls with it and pretend that we're in Hanse Davion's reading room.
I trust that you can see where I'm going with this. I don't care where our travels take us, or who we get our jobs from.
I don't need to go thrill-seeking—I get all the adventure I need on a daily basis.

This is Johnny “Five Aces” Fiveaces of Five Ace’s Five Aces to anyone who might be listening on some pinprick of light out there in the cold, dark blackness of space:
gently caress the Taurians. That is all.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I just checked the numbers and clearly your best bet is to sign on with the Capellans. I'm sure it will go GREAT.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Farah keeps mentioning going somewhere without a bunch of infighting and somehow I think she is setting up for the biggest joke ever when she decides we should visit Clan space before the invasion or something, given her fascination with that one ship.

Congrats on beating the campaign and doing it your way.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's something liberating about punching Victoria to death with a Banshee.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Fighting someone with a Banshee (non-S line variant) is the "I'm not ACTUALLY left-handed" of BattleMech warfare

Wait, scratch that. It's the "beating Super Mario Brothers with your feet" of BattleMech warfare.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

quote:

Finally: I will personally review your reports of Taurian war crimes in the Reach. If I find them credible, I will hold Commodore Ostergaard accountable for his actions upon his return.
Even if he wasn't dead I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. They probably care more about the wasted Mechs than anything else.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ThingOne posted:

Even if he wasn't dead I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. They probably care more about the wasted Mechs than anything else.

Oh yeah, that's pure bullshit. The Taurians don't care how many foreigners their nationals murder.

They would absolutely prosecute Ostergaard for mutiny and the loss of the Iberia, though. Even if he managed to survive the Iberia's unpowered descent (he didn't), he would be executed if he ever returned home.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Spend some time working for the Canopans! They hate everyone we hate!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh yeah, that's pure bullshit. The Taurians don't care how many foreigners their nationals murder.

They would absolutely prosecute Ostergaard for mutiny and the loss of the Iberia, though. Even if he managed to survive the Iberia's unpowered descent (he didn't), he would be executed if he ever returned home.

It's probably the only Fortress they have and, dammit, they were saving it to use on the Davions! THEIR MORTAL ENEMY!!!!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Farah keeps mentioning going somewhere without a bunch of infighting and somehow I think she is setting up for the biggest joke ever when she decides we should visit Clan space before the invasion or something, given her fascination with that one ship.

Congrats on beating the campaign and doing it your way.

We can't even visit the Combine or the Commonwealth really, much less that far out into the periphery.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Federated Suns would've shot it down and laughed.

House Kurita's air force may be the rock to House Davion's scissors, but the Suns is the only state flying the Stuka at the moment.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That was a fun ride. Are you planning on doing the flashpoints we missed from last time, or is this a wrap?

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 9, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Federated Suns would've shot it down and laughed.

Well yeah, but that's the schtick. The Taurians think they're going to finally show the Davions FOR REALSIES and the Davions smack them aside and have a laugh.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Congrats on completing the campaign! It's always great to see an LP reach the (a?) conclusion.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
When I did that final mission, I made a point to leg Victoria. I didn't want to give her the 'glorious death in combat' she was looking for. Even if the game didn't acknowledge it, I liked to imagine she spent a few decades in a prison cell with only her ghosts for company.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Well done. I didn't make it through the campaign when I first played it, probably because I listened to the games 'bigger is better' advice and charged straight forward into ambushes. Also that was back before the stability rework and enemy LRM spam could knock down a mech and being outnumbered 2:1 meant that mech wasn't long for this world.

I was sad you didn't orchestrate the last fight to ensure Kamea got the killing blow on Victoria, but cheesing her with Melee is suiting enough.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lando131 posted:

Well done. I didn't make it through the campaign when I first played it, probably because I listened to the games 'bigger is better' advice and charged straight forward into ambushes. Also that was back before the stability rework and enemy LRM spam could knock down a mech and being outnumbered 2:1 meant that mech wasn't long for this world.

I was sad you didn't orchestrate the last fight to ensure Kamea got the killing blow on Victoria, but cheesing her with Melee is suiting enough.

He did say he planned to fight dirty. And Kamea said she was okay with that.

Getting curbstomped by a Banshee isn't probably the kind of dirty fighting she had in mind, but it's a pretty nasty move nonetheless.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Technowolf posted:

We can't even visit the Combine or the Commonwealth really, much less that far out into the periphery.

Well, gameplay wise in this game, yes (without mods of course). I just really want a sequel where we do all the bad choices, up to and including getting turned into bondsmen or something.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know I get why the third succession war and the Clan invasion are the big points where most of these games are set, but I really got into Battletech with Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, and I'm always sad at how little else is set in the FedCom Civil War era. I donno if it's just because everybody hates Victor or what, but that era always seemed like the best one to me. All the best toys are out there to play with but none are particularly easy to get, the Clans are out there causing trouble but aren't the universal threat anymore, everybody is fighting over something and there's a giant war going on, and things are changing fast enough that there are a ton of opportunities out there for the enterprising merc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gothsheep posted:

everybody is fighting over something

That's the problem, for most of the FCCW era, they aren't. The only real fighting from 3060 to 3062 are the Cappies and St. Ives. The CCAF wraps up the fighting in St. Ives around the time the first wave of the FCCW starts and then they just sit around until Victor hands them Tikonov without firing a shot. The Jade Falcons are only active from May 3064 to June 3065. The Wolves participate by fighting the Falcons for three months in late 3064 and then just hanging out doing nothing. The Free Worlds League's involvement amounts to sending the Sixth Marik Militia to Arcadia in May 3063, and that is IT. The Ghost Bears and Nova Cats are only active from October 3062 to December 3063. A couple ComStar divisions get involved but the majority of the Com Guard spends the war hanging out. WoB and the Dragoons spend the whole war avoiding each other and instead rounding up all the little guys so they can pick teams.

For most factions, the writers treated being involved in the FCCW as a checklist. Hey, the Wolves popped their head in! Oh, the Ghost Bears did something for one year! They only bothered to actually give the Steiner-Davions and Dracs something to do that actually persisted through the era (and the Drac front is sorely limited). I think the creation of the second SLDF was a good idea, because it gave them a vehicle to have, say, CCAF units fight on the Clan front, or Marik troops getting between Davion and Kurita in a border fight. But they spend the entire FCCW explaining why the SLDF can't get involved and then wad it up and throw it in the garbage, so I think they missed opportunities there.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 9, 2021