Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's intentional.

Oh okay, my bad then. They just felt like reading flow breakers to me hence why I pointed it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh okay, my bad then. They just felt like reading flow breakers to me hence why I pointed it out.

I just figured people wouldn't necessarily be interested in what I was doing in 'Mechlab, so I made the 'Mechlab shots expandable.

I'd say the only groundbreaking thing is the +stability damage on the Spider to turn it into a Knockdown Machine

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That is a fair point.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

What's so great about Orions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I break the game into four 'stages.'

Early Game you're limited to your starters and maybe an extra medium or two.

Midgame involves collecting solid Mediums and generally picking up a Thunderbolt or other solid Heavy.

Lategame involves collecting top-end heavy 'Mechs and low-end Assaults.

Endgame is the obligatory Steiner Scout Lance.

We just skipped the entire midgame and we're still in the Leopard. Next story mission will make our power spike more readily apparent.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Siegkrow posted:

They look cool

Also I like to put an (U)AC20 on mine with SRM8 and some MLs just to keep the gun arms in there. Runs hot until I get DHS but I love it

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

an AC/20 of any kind deserves at least some acknowledgement, if for no other reason than if you ignore it you suddenly have a big gaping hole where your mech used to be.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Siegkrow posted:

They have a lot of free tonnage to play with and enough hardpoints you can use them to do all sorts of builds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

They're one of the heavier Heavy mechs and you can slap some pretty big guns on it. Or not, if you wanna run in and melt stuff with your lasers and missiles.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah in any semi-vanilla playthrough nabbing an Orion for the first time is a huge power spike. They can really clean up early missions like they're no big thing

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

yeah in any semi-vanilla playthrough nabbing an Orion for the first time is a huge power spike. They can really clean up early missions like they're no big thing

This is also a very important bit of context. A customized top-tier heavy mech is going to see us having repeats of the Quickdraw reveal in the last story mission on most missions we can go on right now.

Not going to spoil anything but I just realized one of the (comparatively) harder moments later on just got trivialized and if we're going by PTNs strategy so far its going to get even easier.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You did vote for me to style all over the campaign, and I do mean to oblige.

We're still in the Leopard.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The updates are pretty hefty, so have some unfocused thoughts as a result of it all. :v:

How mech bits are salvaged wasn't covered this time out, I think, so for those who missed the last thread or otherwise need a refresher: killing the pilot nets you three Mech Bits, blowing off the legs gets you two, taking out the center torso gets you one. By default, you need three Mech Bits to make a new mech, and that was left alone here. There's a setting for "do new mechs have all their guns and armor, or do you get them empty."

I really like the Panther, but it's too bad it's not good. I assume it's because it's a slow Light, and if you want something to carry a PPC there's way better choices?

Similarly, I'm a little surprised you called the Centurion good, but more surprised you stuck the AC/10 on it. I thought all the good designs for it gave it a triple SRM-6. I guess the single big gun does have a certain appeal, especially on something that can jump around.

The big surprise is that you didn't immediately sell the Dragon. I have no idea what you're planning with that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Slow lights like the Panther and Urbanmech are good early or in mass numbers (which you can't really do in this game), so their usefulness drops off hard.

Endgame viable light 'Mechs need to have a certain amount of speed since they're effectively evasion-based tanks. The Firestarter is ideal for this because it's just fast enough to do the job with enough armament to be a real threat and enough armor to take a hit. The Jenner can perform a similar role, but it's actually a little bit too fast which means it has less space for armament and firepower. It also doesn't melee very well, so the Firestarter is better. The Panther has the most tonnage to play with, but suffers because it's so slow it's easy to tank its movement mods.

The Spider has an even bigger engine than the Jenner and weighs five tons less by default, giving it virtually no tonnage to play with. It's very much a lead anchor tied around my neck.

Comparatively, all of the 55 tonners in this game have big 5/8 (86kph) engines. Even though the Centurion is only 5 tons lighter, its smaller 4/6 (64kph) engine gives it slightly more free tonnage to play with than the 55 tonners, even though it carries slightly less armor.

AC/10 Centurions aren't great, they're better as SRM bombers, but I tend to build my 'Mechs differently until we have enough +damage SRMs to start kiting out a second one, and by that time we're probably going to be retiring the Centurion anyway.

That Autocannon/10+ is +5 damage, which means it does just enough damage to instantly kill any 'Mech in the game if it gets lucky and hits them in the head. It's a gambler's Centurion rather than an all-rounder.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So I've played the game, but never even looked at the Tabletop other than knowing it exists. Does all this talk about engines even appear in the game? Or is it abstracted away with "this mech has X tons of free space before armor"?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's abstracted in game.

General rule of 3025: Speed / Armor / Firepower, choose two.

Armor and Firepower are variable, if somewhat limited by hardpoints, but speed is fixed. So faster 'Mechs have less usable tonnage than a slower 'Mech of the same weight.

SLDF 'Mechs are another story, because they have access to XL Engines, Endo Steel, and Ferro-Fibrous Armor which weighs less (and is also abstracted away). So generally an SLDF 'Mech will be able to carry more firepower (some cases significantly more) than the non-SLDF variant. Unfortunately, there isn't an SLDF Spider.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

General rule of 3025: Speed / Armor / Firepower, choose two.

That's 3050+, in 3025 you only get one and a half.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My favorite strat is decently beefy (speed) mechs with jumpjets (mobility) just hopping all over the place, taking advantage of cover and terrain, plus medium lasers (no ammo!) to chip away at the enemy little by little. Sometimes you even get enough lucky grazes on the head to KO someone who's still in pretty good shape. Not really viable during the timed story missions, but those are very much in the minority.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

So, do I need to change anything in my browser settings? Viewing updates on my PC browser requires multiple refreshes to ensure all the pictures and thumbnails in each update post load completely. It's honestly getting frustrating reading through an update then realizing the image download timed out yet again and there are still missing images.

E: The same issue with loading pictures is happening on the Awful app as well.

anakha fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm afraid I don't have any advice. The big images are jpegs so they shouldn't be overwhelming, the biggest one I found in that update was 800kb, with most averaging 200-400kb.

The headshots are .pngs for the transparency but there are only a few of them so once they load once they should all load.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah I feel like the fast 55-tonners are viable only because they can boat SRMs -- they have juuuust enough tonnage to pack in firepower, armor, and speed that way

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Royal Griffin SRM24 :swoon:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Royal Griffin SRM24 :swoon:

lol except for that one which can pack a shitload of SRMs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So your company is called "Five Aces" but you only deploy four. Is this false advertising?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Spider is their ace in the hole.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The fifth ace hidden in his sleeve

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

So your company is called "Five Aces" but you only deploy four. Is this false advertising?

I have quite a few in-character answers to that question.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Well done with all of it as always. I don't think you took any AC20 hits in any of the commented-on missions, so congratulations on favorable RNG. I'd like to highlight this screenshot because it looks at first glance like Alexander is chewing on a bendy straw in it. I giggled.

Complications fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 26, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

The fifth ace is their secret Comstar spy. We can't reveal who they are because their surprise factor is what makes them an ace, you see.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please let me know if any of them break!

Found one, the vectored thrust jumpjets. You can buy them but they don't show up in inventory, staying at 0.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Light, Heavy, or Assault?

Double-checked and they all seem to be named correctly. :(

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 26, 2021

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

The mechs have '1', '2', '3', and '5' painted on them. Keeps the OpForce guessing

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm extremely pumped to see what that Orion does for us! Loving the LP so far :tipshat:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I’m loving the LP, but I’m feeling a little lost since I don’t know much about the setting, let alone mechs and weapons.

Could someone give me a quick and dirty of what’s what?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Damanation posted:

In terms of the game, what you need to know is that people started settling space under the auspices of a united Earth government that was more or less what happens when the NATO states form a world government. The really good planets were mostly claimed by nation-states with lots of money to fund space exploration and all the wealth of space started pouring into the Solar system and the worlds around it. From there, we get a divide between the Inner Sphere (worlds close to Terra which are where the majority of people live) and the Periphery (where this game takes place, home to minor powers who never benefitted from investment in their worlds much).

A few centuries after the big space land-rush, people started forming governments, then they fought each other as governments are wont to do. Eventually, the Earth-centric government proposed to the other major powers they form an alliance called the Star League. They decided everyone should be under the Star League so they all got together and forcibly made the Periphery (where we are) join. This conflict is super important, psychologically, to the way people in the Periphery view anything towards Terra (namely, with a lot of suspicion).

A couple centuries go by and the Star League collapses, the Inner Sphere breaks into open war. Advanced technology and manufacturing is largely wiped out for reasons that are more complex than really need to be explained. The net result is that our region is at the bottom of the pecking order in terms of what they have available. Which isn't great for living there but very useful if you want to be a free-wheeling gun-for-hire.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Or less historic perspective: right now we got space feudalism with giant robots, tech stagnation, and, well, not really cold war, but kind of lukewarm war going on, with lots of mercenaries with not-really-plausible-deniability being hired by the various powers to mess stuff up for their neighbors (a whole bunch of our non-plot missions are like that). We're kind of at the edge of known human civilization, with plot missions involving trying to restore to power a couped "High Lady" of a 3rd rate (or may be 2.5-rate) power, Aurigan Coalition, with financial backing of a 2nd rate power (Magistracy of Canopus) due to concerns of tension in the region between the Taurian Concordat (another 2nd rate power) and the Federated Suns (one of the big boys). On the map we only really see the edges of the territory of the big boys.

FWIW, the game has helpful hover dictionary for stuff like this.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I can't remember if this is ever stated in the campaign but what relative year are we in? Are we hanging around 3025?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Damanation posted:

I’m loving the LP, but I’m feeling a little lost since I don’t know much about the setting, let alone mechs and weapons.

If you want to lose a lot of time, the Battletech wiki will give you more information than you ever wanted to know. That's actually one of the things I love about the setting is the sheer amount of world building there is. I can't think of many other properties that come this close.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aces High posted:

I can't remember if this is ever stated in the campaign but what relative year are we in? Are we hanging around 3025?

It's 3025 exactly, but in practice the only thing that's really important is that the Fed-Com Alliance exists, but the 4th Succession War hasn't broken out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Otherwise Tex talks Battletech is another great resource of lore. The videos about the rise and fall of the Star League as mentioned before is a great watch in particular.