Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey PTN, I know this is LP is a continuation of an older one that was lost for technical reasons, but would it be possible to explain the new things that show up for those of us who might have missed the boat the first time? Things like how this ECM actually works or what actually makes this mech good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I hadn't really thought about it before, but given the way damage spread works, is there a viable build in loading a mech with like, 5 machine guns, and doing nothing but trying to ping the enemy's cockpit over and over to kill the pilot?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Because BT units weren't designed to be optimal. Mech design has been a solved question since 1991, but the game is more about making do with what you have as it comes apart, not building the perfect min-maxed unit and assuming everyone will be really impressed you thought to combine Gauss rifles with PPCs.

Yeah, it's why a challenge I like to do is actually sticking with stock configurations. Actual BT it's supposed to be difficult-to-impossible to switch loadouts like this anyway. I remember reading something a while ago, don't remember where, about Solaris mechs that swap out the guns even a little bit and it throws the mech's weight balance off and makes it much harder to control. I do agree that removing the customization would remove a huge amount of the fun of a game like this, so I don't think it's a bad decision to make every mech an omnimech, but it really does make BT way easier.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, if you do custom work someone still has to figure out where to run all the cables, feeds and poo poo. If you use a standard config, someone's already done that.

Also some practical concerns. As much as I love Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries for letting me strip down most of the armor off an Adder and mount 2 LB-X/20s on it, I'm pretty sure that thing would be blown clear to space after alpha-striking with those.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

goatface posted:

Probably best to stick to the basic plan of "don't think about it too hard".

Yeah, I said before I don't disagree with their decision to make everything interchangeable like it is. That's been a hallmark going back to the Mechwarrior series. Half the gameplay loop is based on customizing and upgrading mechs, and the whole strategic layer of the game wouldn't be anywhere near as deep without it. And I can forgive a lot of lore weirdness if it means I can make a Spider designed to jump behind heavy mechs and literally kick them in the rear end until they explode.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Maybe it was a Clan Batchall thing. Like before the battle that pilot declared that he would go into battle with a mech that was all hosed up to increase the honor he'd get if he won.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Literally true for the Timberwolf.

And I thought Mechwarrior didn't have the Stackpole explosions until MW4.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I always thought the Newgrange was supposed to be a direct analog to the Lusitania. I'm not the best WWI scholar, but if my limited memory serves, popular theory was that ship was also a civilian transport that was pulling double duty as a gunrunner, whose sinking prompted a previously uninvolved nation to enter a war directly, rather than just tacitly supporting one side from behind the scenes.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Oh yeah, I tota--totally shaved Morgan Kell'sh life onch, with my old unit, Markhamsh Maraudersh. Buy me anudder beer and I'll tell yoush all about the time we beat Natasha Kerenshky and the Bounty Hunter!"

"Sure thing, Dekker. Whatever you say."

Dekker then goes on to change his callsign to Spectre and win the Solaris grand championship in his rookie year before single-handedly ending the FedCom Civil War.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
That's one of the great things about Battletech though. If you like the Dark Age stuff, you can just play in that era. BT has very distinct flavors for its different eras, allowing for themes that feel very different depending on what kind of game you want. Personally I'm most fond of the FedCom Civil War era, because my first BT experience was Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries, and I like the 1960s-ish 'very old and very new technology jumbled together' feel of it. I've also got a campaign in my head that I may try and run at some point, that's set during the Amaris Civil War, because that gets touched on so rarely.

That's one of the weird parts of trying to follow BT as a 'story' too. Because it's more like a living history covering a thousand years. I don't even know what's going on at the end of the timeline anymore. The Republic of the Sphere stuff lost me.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Speaking of, my theory with that Marauder II was that it was actually piloted by a Clanner who had bid away every weapon accept the AC/5.

Or, you know, the AI bugged out. I think half the mechs in that mission didn't even take their turns, they just sat there getting walloped.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

evilmiera posted:

Speaking of Odd Duck mechs, are there any assault class ones with primarily short-range weapons that could be considered good at all?

I think there's a good melee-specced Banshee maybe. And I loved rolling around in the 3 SRM-6+AC/20 Atlas that served me well in many a MWO match.

EDIT: I doubt it was *good* compared to other builds, but it was funny, and that's what mattered to me.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I haven't really played the game since they overhauled the skills a lot. Good to see Bulwark is still the end-all for skills even after they nerfed it. Can you explain a bit why Piloting is so useful? I've seen how powerful called headshot snipers are in your LP, but it's a little harder to pin down why you want Piloting first. Also, aside from 'not putting Bulwark in your build', are there any other traps in the skill tree to avoid?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I can't find any record of this anywhere, but I was sure the Nightstar was created for Mechwarrior 5, and remaining Nightstars were some of the rarest mechs in existence. Am I completely confusing it with another mech?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
When I did that final mission, I made a point to leg Victoria. I didn't want to give her the 'glorious death in combat' she was looking for. Even if the game didn't acknowledge it, I liked to imagine she spent a few decades in a prison cell with only her ghosts for company.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You know I get why the third succession war and the Clan invasion are the big points where most of these games are set, but I really got into Battletech with Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, and I'm always sad at how little else is set in the FedCom Civil War era. I donno if it's just because everybody hates Victor or what, but that era always seemed like the best one to me. All the best toys are out there to play with but none are particularly easy to get, the Clans are out there causing trouble but aren't the universal threat anymore, everybody is fighting over something and there's a giant war going on, and things are changing fast enough that there are a ton of opportunities out there for the enterprising merc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
To be fair, the FWL does basically nothing for most of BattleTech history, until the Jihad when the writers decided to take an axe to the faction over and over as an example to the rest of the factions about what happens when you don't engage with the plot enough.