Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back in the day Narutimate Hero 2 (yes it's Naruto-based, yes it's weeb as gently caress) was a very popular fighting game in Brazil. A friend of mine and I went to convention regularly and won tournaments.

One of the things in the game is that when you use a special whoever presses buttons faster win whether to cancel the special. For simple button mashing we were just better at flexing the forearm to press a lot of buttons per second, something that I think every speedrunner knows nowadays but not in the early 00s. For "rotating as many times as you can" we found out that if we hold the analogic stick up and pressed up on the key pad it would count as a rotation, so we'd find creative ways of hiding we were doing that for no one else to find out sort of trying to do magic tricks and cover the setup and just win/cancel every special.

It was broken enough that it let us win every tournament we encountered but half of it was finding ways/angles to cover the trick.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I used to play pc games using the cheapest keyboards I could find. Because I'm left handed and the cheap boards tended to put the end, delete, and page down keys directly above the arrows with no gaps and I could use them as substitutes for Q and E and numbers.

I'd buy like three keyboards and pull a spare out of the closet when they broke because they cost 5 dollars.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My little sisters loved Kirby's Air Ride. I got home from school early one day and played it a bit myself and was gonna surprise them and play with them too but when we did, they wanted nothing to do with the actual race modes. Instead they went into this multiplayer city arena area, I still don't understand the point of the mode officially. It was a big map area with random activities and junk sprinkled throughout and some kind of timer, but they ignored all of that and basically just played "house" inside of Kirby's Air Ride. They'd pretend to be Kirbies off doing this or that, after a while I got the hang of their game and stopped like, advancing the official game. It was a fun and cute time and I really appreciated how they took this silly game and made it their own.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I used to hold the N64 controller by both outer prongs and just painfully lean my left thumb over to the analog stick

This always felt like the normal way to hold it. First time I saw someone jerking off the middle prong I thought it was strange and I still don't think I've ever helt it by the middle.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 22, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A friend and I would play Free Mode in Diddy Kong Racing and play tag.
It was a helluva lot of fun when one person was in a plane and the other was in a hovercraft.

The_White_Crane posted:

The one thing I can think of for this topic right now is my valuable collecting in Bethesda games... In Morrowind I had several wicker bowls full of diamonds and rubies and emeralds on a shelf by the door of my house. I thought of them as my "petty cash" drawer.
And in New Vegas I filled the bathtub in my motel room with pre-war money, which I always thought looked like something out of a Tarantino movie...

A friend of mine spent hundreds of hours in Oblivion collecting human hearts. He'd put them in the jewelry display cases but over-stuff them so when you closed the lid, it would look like the hearts were beating.
That is until one day Oblivion decided he was having too much fun and threw everything he'd placed on to the ground while he was out.

I love that stupid piece of poo poo game.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n
In Morrowind I'd always find my favorite house in Seyda Neen, kill the home owner, and take it as my own. From there I'd roleplay and decorate the home, only ever going so far as Balmora and Ebonheart. Made finally playing Morrowind really exciting, like living in your home town for 18 years and finally moving to the big city haha

Feb 2, 2005
I used to grab the turtle shell in Bob-omb Battlefield and see how many loops I could do around the mountain without "bonking" and breaking the shell.

For hours I would do this. And I still had stars left to collect! What the gently caress was I doing?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

trizzNPH posted:

In Morrowind I'd always find my favorite house in Seyda Neen, kill the home owner, and take it as my own. From there I'd roleplay and decorate the home, only ever going so far as Balmora and Ebonheart. Made finally playing Morrowind really exciting, like living in your home town for 18 years and finally moving to the big city haha

Pretty much did the same. Thus ruled.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would leave the map in Rush 2's stunt mode and see how far into infinity I could make it before the physics threw a fit and instantly killed me

OoB exploring also owned in Halo

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

My little sisters loved Kirby's Air Ride. I got home from school early one day and played it a bit myself and was gonna surprise them and play with them too but when we did, they wanted nothing to do with the actual race modes. Instead they went into this multiplayer city arena area, I still don't understand the point of the mode officially. It was a big map area with random activities and junk sprinkled throughout and some kind of timer, but they ignored all of that and basically just played "house" inside of Kirby's Air Ride. They'd pretend to be Kirbies off doing this or that, after a while I got the hang of their game and stopped like, advancing the official game. It was a fun and cute time and I really appreciated how they took this silly game and made it their own.

This is how my friends and I used to play the multiplayer deathmatch mode in Donkey Kong 64, lol. We had to play with her little brother and he was a bit too young to handle competition/losing well, so we played a weird imaginary game that I don't entirely remember the details of instead.

We also used to play Mario Party and tell him if he got too many coins his character would fall off the stack of coins and break their neck, so it was actually good not to get too many. :kiddo:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A friend and I would both work the controller while playing the tie-in game for Independence Day on the Playstation 1. I'm not quite sure how we managed it, but it did make things a little easier. One of us focused on flying the plane, the other handled the weapons.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I played through a ton of SNES games via emulator when I was younger and would pretty much always use savestates on everything to try and complete stuff without having to retry or redo sections. I distinctly remember beating Kefka's final form in FF6 for the first time by savestate scumming the Magicite item until I got a Phoenix that could revive my entire party so I could finish him off.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Now whenever I hear Mario Kart SNES music a part of me *has* to recall the fact that I prioritized it as a kid over caring about a terrorist attack :psyduck:

Otherwise the terrorists win.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of Terrorists, I have played very little of CS:GO but when I do I exlusively install it to play a few rounds of GunGame and then uninstall it when I've had my fill.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I used to play Frontier Elite 2 by sticking to Sol and a handful of safe systems because the "under attack" alarm used to startle the crap out of me and my Amiga was too slow for combat to be anything but a frustrating and painful experience.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Arrath posted:

A friend and I would both work the controller while playing the tie-in game for Independence Day on the Playstation 1. I'm not quite sure how we managed it, but it did make things a little easier. One of us focused on flying the plane, the other handled the weapons.

My brother and I used to play Descent 1 sharing a keyboard. One person was in charge of the 6DOF, and the other person was the gunner/bomber.

Similarly, when Typing of the Dead was "hard", we would sometimes plug in two keyboards. Both people type the word as fast as they can, which gives you terrible accuracy but really fast cpm, so you can defeat the enemies fast enough to not die and be able to see the "story".

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I used to play pc games with the mouse on the left even though I am not left handed.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

One of my friends only had one regular Dreamcast controller but did have the fishing controller. So that's how we played Marvel vs. Capcom.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

coldpudding posted:

I used to play pc games with the mouse on the left even though I am not left handed.

The desk configuration I had as a child and teen forced this exact setup on me. It delayed my WASD uptake until late college. It did make me feel the tiniest bit powerful to be an ambidextrous mouse user in other computer contexts.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Whenever I played a game with friendly NPCs, I would always make it a priority to protect them above any other objective. Needless to say, it made games like Halo pretty difficult, but it would lead to cool setpieces like Assault on the Control Room.

Speaking of which, another weird thing I did was replay singular parts of a game. Pretty sure I played AotCR a dozen more times than complete Halo playthroughs.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Not quite a game, but during the 90s a couple of my relatives had a online chat program called World Chat where you could walk around as avatars. I used this program as an exploration game, wandering around the various places you could hang out and chat with people.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Whenever I played a game with friendly NPCs, I would always make it a priority to protect them above any other objective. Needless to say, it made games like Halo pretty difficult, but it would lead to cool setpieces like Assault on the Control Room.

Speaking of which, another weird thing I did was replay singular parts of a game. Pretty sure I played AotCR a dozen more times than complete Halo playthroughs.

That's not weird at all, its the one mission where you get the tank, and can cheese a banshee or two. I too played the hell out of Control Room.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I haven’t played Assault on the Control Room in Halo, but for some reason it made me remember Goldeneye on n64. Wasn’t there a level called Control that had a section where you had to defend Natalya from hordes of dudes in a control room?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got to the last boss of FFVII not knowing how to level up materia or limit breaks. couldn't get him tho,

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lots of playing X-wing with a friend with one person driving on keyboard and one person aiming with mouse

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I do a lot of spreadsheets for the games I play
Like a lot

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

The Walrus posted:

lots of playing X-wing with a friend with one person driving on keyboard and one person aiming with mouse

My friend and I would do something similar and alternate between flying and tracking enemies on the radar.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Maigius posted:

Not quite a game, but during the 90s a couple of my relatives had a online chat program called World Chat where you could walk around as avatars. I used this program as an exploration game, wandering around the various places you could hang out and chat with people.

Reminds me of The Palace, which entranced little kid me entirely because one room had a gimmick where you could say "open sesame" to open a secret door. I desperately wanted to explore what was surely a fully realized world, much to my father's chagrin.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I made games and stories in the MS clip art and MS Paint tools.

I did a lot of "Sim City" in MS Paint using the pixel level zoom.

I also did a lot of made up RPG stats in Excel.

Life before the net made you use what you had.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

~Coxy posted:

My brother and I used to play Descent 1 sharing a keyboard. One person was in charge of the 6DOF, and the other person was the gunner/bomber.

Similarly, when Typing of the Dead was "hard", we would sometimes plug in two keyboards. Both people type the word as fast as they can, which gives you terrible accuracy but really fast cpm, so you can defeat the enemies fast enough to not die and be able to see the "story".

You could also replace the dictionary with a single letter "a" and then play the game that way.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

When I was a kid I'd play RTS games, crush the AI, and right before killing their last building or two I would back off. I'd then harvest every resource on the map until they were exhausted and only then would I finish off the AI. No idea why. Hoarder/gatherer instincts I guess.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

trizzNPH posted:

I did hang my hat at Hlaalo Manor some 20 years ago... :corsair:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TTBF posted:

When I was a kid I'd play RTS games, crush the AI, and right before killing their last building or two I would back off. I'd then harvest every resource on the map until they were exhausted and only then would I finish off the AI. No idea why. Hoarder/gatherer instincts I guess.

Are you me?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
As a kid in the early 90s I used to play Microprose's original Formula One Grand Prix game. By default, the game would automatically turn you the right direction if you spun out, but you could toggle that off, and you could also toggle god mode on.

I would win every Grand Prix race by immediately turning around and driving the wrong direction, switching god mode on, and trying to crash into every other racer front-on as they came the right way. Once I successfully eliminated every single racer, I would switch off god mode, turn back the right direction, and happily complete the 70 or so laps solo, repeating this for every track in the game.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 24, 2022

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thinking back how I held the keyboard back in my Quake 1 and Doom 1, 2 and Final days. Like the following:

So yes, my right hand doing the left and right and up and down. NO strafing.
My left hand propped along the keyboard, little finger on ] for anything random, ring finger on Enter, middle on Shift and index on ctrl (for shoot). The base of my palm would hit the spacebar.

I played this way on ALL fps games up until Quake II because it had more keys than was comfortable for the way I played.

Also no strafing. I would spin around. Did not even know about strafing until Quake II. I occasionally played LAN Quake games against people using a mouse and did not get it. I held my own, but I was also definitely held back.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I pirated a few early CRPGs which lead to weird problems with them:

Bard's Tale relied on spell codes. I only knew 2 spell codes for some time, so I had to grind in town to level up a single spellcaster with an array of sacrificial fighters, and checked each level to see if the two spells I knew (INWO and DRBR) worked yet. Eventually I discovered a few more codes in games magazines, which got me a bit further, and then when I got a pirated copy of Bard's Tale 3 I could backport spells from that.

My pirated copy of Ultima 5 had a dud town disk. This meant I relied entirely on magazine tip columns for all the information you could gain in towns. It turns out that you can win this one without ever entering a town, but you are limited to your starting reagents for some types as they're only available for purchase in towns, as opposed to others that were available in villages or castles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TTBF posted:

I mean I'd do that in Homeworld, and the other rare RTS games with persistent economies but that's all.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I played a lot of games over and over as a kid, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, the list goes on, but perhaps one of the weirder ways I'd play games was Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. You see, I like cheats, they're fun, and as a child were a good safety net for small(er) and stupid(er) Ardryn and few games had as robust a cheat selection as JO and JA. I actually had all of my F keys, my numpad, and the cluster including home and end set up with custom keybinds and I don't just mean noclip or notarget, I'm talking about binding almost every enemy, and ally, in the game to spawn when I pressed one of these keys.

Once I had this all set up, I liked to activate notarget, which causes the AI to ignore you, the player, and then proceed to spawn some allies, maybe that day I was feeling some jedi padawans, or a squad of rebel troopers and despite notarget being set the friendly AI would still pathfind to you. Using this method, I could basically play the game as an observer, or I could set up large or small duels of force users. I had quite a bit of fun once I found the spawn player code and had Kyle Katarn watch Kyle Katarn do his job for him.

I also liked just spawning one or two allies and seeing how long I could keep them alive throughout the level, it was pretty surprising seeing how robust the pathfinding was for areas that never meant to have allies, it was also fun watching them attempt to follow and just end up jumping into pits.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 24, 2022

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I would repeatedly restart JRPGs just because. I must have done that first multiple party battle in FF6 about a dozen times.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

cmndstab posted:

As a kid in the early 90s I used to play Microprose's original Formula One Grand Prix game. By default, the game would automatically turn you the right direction if you spun out, but you could toggle that off, and you could also toggle god mode on.

I would win every Grand Prix race by immediately turning around and driving the wrong direction, switching god mode on, and trying to crash into every other racer front-on as they came the right way. Once I successfully eliminated every single racer, I would switch off god mode, turn back the right direction, and happily complete the 70 or so laps solo, repeating this for every track in the game.

Oh hell yes. One of my earliest gaming memories is sitting in my dad's lap in front of the family machine and doing exactly this. Our goal was to get tires to bounce into the stands. It was the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

yook posted:

Goldeneye showed records of where you shot enemies at the end of levels, so the existence of an "other" category meant we did a couple runs exclusively shooting dudes in the dick.

Me and a friend used to use the all guns cheat to get shotguns in every level, then play through them to see who could get the highest hit percentage - one trigger pull fires X pellets, and if more than one pellet hit your accuracy would shoot way about 100%. Good stuff.