Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Back before Steam managed installations, I would meticulously document the "perfect" way to install a game from CD, apply no-CD cracks, apply patches, a sprinkling of essential mods, then burn everything to a backup CD. Then I'd uninstall the game after testing it to make sure it worked.

Then, if I felt like actually playing the game, I'd install a "clean" version of it and start playing.

Installation and cracking and all that was a significant part of the hobby all on its own, since I was always on a budget, had ancient ersatz hardware, and the games were usually old. I wouldn't say this process was all that fun, but it did instill a sort of pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

chairface posted:

this was a PROCESS back in the day. downloading/ripping images, patches, cracks, burning the results to cdr, all painfully slow processes that could just fail midway through because ?????

and our great prize was a worse and less accessible collection than was available on abandonware sites over broadband within a few short years.

Yeah, how could we know?

I remember being converted away from pirating pre-broadband after downloading a game whose voice acting and music had been completely removed, and the remaining sound effects had to be converted from lossy 90's-compressed mp3's to the game's native wav files. It was an inventive way to save space, but it was worth spending the twenty bucks at Fry's to just buy the drat thing.

And then find the patches and no-cd files.

And then documenting and archiving it.

This might have been Citizen Kabuto or something. A lot of those older games wouldn't show up online until GOG launched in 2008, though.