Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thinking back how I held the keyboard back in my Quake 1 and Doom 1, 2 and Final days. Like the following:

So yes, my right hand doing the left and right and up and down. NO strafing.
My left hand propped along the keyboard, little finger on ] for anything random, ring finger on Enter, middle on Shift and index on ctrl (for shoot). The base of my palm would hit the spacebar.

I played this way on ALL fps games up until Quake II because it had more keys than was comfortable for the way I played.

Also no strafing. I would spin around. Did not even know about strafing until Quake II. I occasionally played LAN Quake games against people using a mouse and did not get it. I held my own, but I was also definitely held back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU