Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interview with director Zak Garriss (which might just be a text version of the above video):

https://www.gamesradar.com/life-is-strange-true-colors-interview-future-games-show/

Also from what I’ve heard this game was originally going to be released episodically like every other title in the series starting at the end of last year but Covid delays and complaints against Square regarding how long the last game took to come out caused them to change their minds and put it out all at once.

Note that even if you bought the Ultimate Edition the bonus episode and the remastered versions of the first two games won’t be out until sometime after True Colors is (I expect it won’t take quite as long as Farewell did for BtS though).

But yeah, I like what I’m hearing so far and look forward to seeing how it all plays out. Also while I’m obviously going for Steph on my first time through I’m hoping that Ryan at least turns out to be a decent guy (especially given this series’ track record when it comes to male love interests).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Very bold of them to move from dead dad to dead brother, lets see how it plays out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I lust for more pet death

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Very bold of them to move from dead dad to dead brother, lets see how it plays out.

I would just prefer they stop with the art hipster mom who either dies or is a lovely parent. Someone at dontnod really, really wanted to say something about that home environment dynamic.

Decknine seems a bit more grounded and able to get out of their own way to make a good story and a good game without sacrificing playability. If comparing the two BTS did seem to have a better understanding of how to make the experience more of a 'game' with things to do and interact with.

Thinking back on it with some more distance, Tell Me Why is kind of a massive red flag for Dontnod as it's them copying all the beats from LiS without any of the character development, like they can't really figure out how to improve or expand the formula for a shorter narrative.

I can't tell for sure from all the speculation, but it seems like Dontnod was in the running to make LiS3 but they wanted all new cast & characters, and once they secured funding from somewhere else they told SquareEnix they weren't interested.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've been meaning to catch up on these, now that they've assembled the first 3 volumes in one collection!

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

exquisite tea posted:

I've been meaning to catch up on these, now that they've assembled the first 3 volumes in one collection!

Waiting on the trade for the 4th one to come out in April

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Apparently the next issue isn’t due to come out until July for some reason so there’s plenty of time too.

Off the subject, there was a noticeable lack of the the word “hella” in Life is Strange 2 so I hope it comes back for True Colors.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Larryb posted:

Apparently the next issue isn’t due to come out until July for some reason so there’s plenty of time too.

Off the subject, there was a noticeable lack of the the word “hella” in Life is Strange 2 so I hope it comes back for True Colors.

Only if they lamp shade it while actually using it correctly this time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Steph will keep trying to make hella a thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It would actually be funny if Steph picked it up from Chloe or Rachel somewhere along the line.

On that note, I’m curious if they’ll give us a choice as to which ending from the first game we want to follow like they did at the start of LiS 2 or if they’ll just kind of keep things vague enough that players can just believe whatever they want (like at one point Steph mentioning that a friend of hers was killed by a photographer, which could refer to Chloe or Rachel)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I imagine they're gonna have to take your LiS1 ending into account since that's the difference between Steph saying "oh yeah my old hometown" and "oh yeah my old hometown that was loving DESTROYED in a freak twister."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I imagine they're gonna have to take your LiS1 ending into account since that's the difference between Steph saying "oh yeah my old hometown" and "oh yeah my old hometown that was loving DESTROYED in a freak twister."

True, though I think Steph was a senior during BtS so it’s possible she graduated and left town before the events of the first game (the North family apparently did according to the Welcome to Blackwell Academy guidebook they put out) but I assume she still keeps up with the news (and it’s basically guaranteed that her old hometown will likely come up in conversation at least once during the game).

If we do get to pick the ending again it could be cool if in the Bae timeline she reconnected with Chloe at some point and you can find some emails/messages on her computer or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

There's a bit of a disconnect with how they said they want to link the games into an kind of anthology when all the endings are so divergent.

Bae/Bay is easy enough as a binary outcome for an single in universe choice. Anything for LiS2 actually doesn't seem like it would matter unless you cross paths with anyone the brothers encountered. The living off the grid for ~6 months while going through a rotating cast of characters also means none of them really had an impact worth bringing them into a new game. The endings all have wildly different timeline outcomes going as far as 15 years later means there's nothing they can really build up from that with any significance.

If True Colors gets any momentum I have a feeling they might just pretend like LiS2 never happened. The fans clearly just want any connection to the Arcadia Bay saga and if that moves units might as well go all in.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well as you mentioned I don’t think LiS 2 affected anything that would impact any of the characters in True Colors (that we know of), so I don’t really imagine it getting referenced much at all regardless aside from one of the bonus outfits as has already been confirmed and maybe a newspaper article you can find during the game or something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If they do make LiS a regular franchise with games every ~2 years or so I'd expect that LiS2 is just kind of memory holed and the series direction shifts to intimate settings with the focus on a small cast, and references to the other games are just easter eggs you end up finding along the way.

Telltale was kind of a roller coaster in terms of overall game quality, but the most impactful part of The Walking Dead was you only got 1 ending. The end of episode 5 could play out in a variety of ways, but regardless of any of that the game wraps up to definitive point, there's no "choose the outcome" for TWD season 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well that’s the problem you run into when making a sequel to a choice based game (and from the information given so far it sounds like True Colors will have more than one ending as well).

I imagine if they continue the anthology route we might even get to the point where there won’t even be guest stars anymore to tie it back to old games (like David in LiS2 and Steph in TC), which could work as long as the new cast was decent enough on their own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

pentyne posted:

There's a bit of a disconnect with how they said they want to link the games into an kind of anthology when all the endings are so divergent.

Bae/Bay is easy enough as a binary outcome for an single in universe choice. Anything for LiS2 actually doesn't seem like it would matter unless you cross paths with anyone the brothers encountered. The living off the grid for ~6 months while going through a rotating cast of characters also means none of them really had an impact worth bringing them into a new game. The endings all have wildly different timeline outcomes going as far as 15 years later means there's nothing they can really build up from that with any significance.

If True Colors gets any momentum I have a feeling they might just pretend like LiS2 never happened. The fans clearly just want any connection to the Arcadia Bay saga and if that moves units might as well go all in.

Zack Garriss did mention the wolf brothers by name when talking about LiS as an anthology series, so I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility to see supporting characters make an appearance in future installments, even if the whereabouts of Sean and Daniel are highly variable. Everybody seemed to like Lyla despite her getting like 3 lines in the whole game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lyla technically shows up in every episode actually (she appears physically at the start of the first one, you can call her in the first two, there’s a message from her on Sean’s computer during the flashback at the start of 3, she has a few lines during a dream sequence in 4, and can appear in the ending where Sean goes to prison for a few years)

Hell, Brody made a cameo in one of the most recent issues of the comic and there have been a couple other LiS 2 nods here and there as well. Also as mentioned, one of Daniel’s shirts is a bonus outfit you can wear in True Colors so I wouldn’t say it’s been completely forgotten.

It’s just that while some of the brothers’ exploits were probably enough to make the news (and judging by a calendar in Alex’s room TC takes place 2 years after LiS 2 ended not counting the timeskips during the endings), LiS 2 was more of a personal story and as such I don’t expect it to get referenced much aside from maybe a newspaper clipping you can find or at most a returning character (or a character who knew someone from LiS 2).

Plus, a large portion of the endings to that game take place years in the future so as far as the present goes all that really happened was either:

-Sean makes it to Mexico alone while Daniel is taken in by the police and placed in the custody of his grandparents

-Sean dies and Daniel makes it to Mexico alone

-Daniel goes full Akira on the cops and they both make it to Mexico

or

-They both surrender to the police and Sean goes to prison

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 1, 2021

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Finally watched the trailer and I'm pretty stoked. At least they seem to understand what made the first LiS good; queer poo poo, interpersonal drama, a good cast of characters, and weird towny bullshit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, True Colors definitely feels like a return to form for the series and is basically exactly what I wanted: direct control of the power, an actual mystery, and back to being set in a single location with a consistent cast of side characters (plus my favorite BtS character is not only finally getting the focus she deserves but will actually be PLAYABLE during the bonus episode to boot).

The game being slightly more open world this time seems interesting as well, hopefully it’ll turn out as good as it looks.

Getting a remastered version of the original game with better facial animation isn’t bad either for that matter (along with a BtS remaster that makes the characters look slightly less like they’re made of plastic)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 1, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Finally watched the trailer and I'm pretty stoked. At least they seem to understand what made the first LiS good; queer poo poo, interpersonal drama, a good cast of characters, and weird towny bullshit.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Speaking of which if anyone wants to play a similar styled game there's the first chapter of a kickstarted game called "Scarlet Hollow" up on steam for free right now. Features the art of Abby Howard, one of my favorite webcomic artists.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SlothBear posted:

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

It's so weird to me that Dontnods takeaway was "Magical child and tragedy"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Life Is Strange 1 was the best version of Europeans trying to write Americans and being bad at it, and Life is Strange 2 was the worst version of it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while I like LiS 2 more than most and at least give them credit for wanting to try something new I feel like they strayed a bit too far from what made the original work so well (Episode 3 was probably the closest the game felt to a proper LiS game in my opinion).

The revolving door of side characters is probably my biggest issue with it honestly (after all, the first game and BtS dealt with some touchy subjects as well)

So yeah, as I said True Colors definitely feels like a return to form for me (if not possibly even more so)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 1, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

LiS 2 just felt so hopeless to me the whole time I was like why am I playing this. And so I stopped. LiS and BTS had soul-shattering moments but they know how to balance it with hope and investment in the characters involved.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My main issue with LiS 2 was the complete lack of any interesting goals. The only thing you are trying to achieve is escaping to Mexico. You are not even attempting to clear your name, or figure out what's up with your borther's powers, or anything. The fact that your reason for running away made no sense, as the police has no reason to suspect the main character of having caused the explosion at the beginning, didn't exactly help.

Having an actual mystery to solve again will be nice.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 1, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironically, aside from maybe the boys winding up in foster care, if Sean had just stayed put after the accident the situation probably could have been resolved a lot smoother.

But instead he panicked, went on the run, and the two of them eventually wound up committing actual crimes (though how much depends on how you chose to play the game)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Larryb posted:

Ironically, aside from maybe the boys winding up in foster care, if Sean had just stayed put after the accident the situation probably could have been resolved a lot smoother.

This is a huge problem with LiS 2- it's realistic that Sean wouldn't behave rationally in that kind of a situation, but for a story-based game with the veneer of player choice, it's just not very fun to be railroaded into one bad choice after another. It just puts a big disconnect between the player and the player character. In addition to that, almost all drama and tension is created by implausibly stupid and malicious NPCs, which adds up to an extremely frustrating narrative.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SimonChris posted:

as the police has no reason to suspect the main character of having caused the explosion at the beginning, didn't exactly help.

The reason is that cops are racist OP

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The reason is that cops are racist OP

I know racism is a big issue, but there was a literal explosion that flipped a cop car and I don't think racists think that Hispanics are all the Hulk.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

I know racism is a big issue, but there was a literal explosion that flipped a cop car and I don't think racists think that Hispanics are all the Hulk.

Mostly fair, although cops do seem to believe that PCP gives people superpowers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure if this was a mistake or just someone posting it before it was officially announced but the ESRB page for True Colors mentioned a Nintendo Switch version (said listing has since been removed):

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

General Dog posted:

Mostly fair, although cops do seem to believe that PCP gives people superpowers.

I dunno man, have you ever seen someone on dust? its pretty hosed up

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SimonChris posted:

My main issue with LiS 2 was the complete lack of any interesting goals. The only thing you are trying to achieve is escaping to Mexico. You are not even attempting to clear your name, or figure out what's up with your borther's powers, or anything. The fact that your reason for running away made no sense, as the police has no reason to suspect the main character of having caused the explosion at the beginning, didn't exactly help.

Having an actual mystery to solve again will be nice.

Well, the cops just murdered his father, who was unarmed and had his hands up, plus I'm pretty sure that the other teen was also dead as well, and he died from Sean pushing him. I wouldn't put any faith in the cops to actually investigate the case much less not shoot the older brother in the head on sight to get justice for a 'cop-killer' plus there's a whole problem of something supernatural just happened right in front of you.

As far as the video, all they know is there's a dead cop and a flipped cop car. Sure maybe forensics can't find the bomb casing but within 5 minutes of that getting out the story would be some kind of high pressure explosion was responsible and everyone would assume bomb.

Where it actually starts falling apart is when Daniel force throws a speeding cop car and the wall bending in ep 5. The slack jawed rednecks running up on them would've made a ton more sense if they had just shot at them while the wall was shaking and creaking rather then after it was peeled open like tinfoil.

They had a chance to show off their writing when they introduced the FBI agent who should've been less condescending and more like Agent Mulder, saying they saw the tapes and they know something strange happened, something beyond explanation but there's a dead cop, and a trail of crime following the brothers from Seattle, so they need to know the truth. Instead it was written pretty poorly as "this stupid guilty murderer just won't cooperate"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm taking the opportunity to replay Before the Storm and LiS1 now. Starting with BtS. Really forgot how bad the voice acting was in that first section of the game at the mill.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It gets better as it goes along. Chloe's internal monologuing towards the middle starts sounding very much like someone with severe depression

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

It gets better as it goes along. Chloe's internal monologuing towards the middle starts sounding very much like someone with severe depression

Yeah, iirc the mill stuff was an e3 demo so its pretty clear it was rushed out ASAP, probably at the last second due to the strike stuff.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

In fact, I’d say the acting gets better during the first episode. The Mill stuff was likely recorded pretty early on (in fact, I’d heard somewhere that a lot of the actors didn’t even know they were recording for a Life is Strange game at first. Rihanna included I believe).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Chloe's voice acting in BTS I think is not bad at all. The VA just unfortunately has to fill the shoes of Ashley Burch which was always gonna be impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was weird to hear another voice for Chloe at first but now it doesn’t even seem incongruent to me, like both voices coexist in my memory.