Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Lis2 is one of my biggest gaming disappointments

I do like how you can shoot the psycho cult lady tho

There were several great moments in the game completely watered down by most episodes being 90% forgettable dreck and 10% impactful moments, sort of the problem with Dontnod it seems like there are some great creative minds but they can't get out of their own way to develop the whole product which is basically their entire track record aside from LiS1.

Remember Me has one of the best game story mechanics I've seen in a long time, the ability to enter someone's memory and then gently caress around and alter it to change their personality to then become your ally, the games premise being the commodification of memory under capital when memories become a transactional product, and the massive societal consequences thereof. It's too bad the game has garbage combat and essentially linear path progression because some of those memory re-write scenes and their outcomes literally gave me chills. Vampyr is similar, haven't played it, but the whole choose to feed/not feed gets endlessly brought up as clashing super hard with the core gameplay experience and bringing the whole thing down.

LiS2 existence does cast a pall on Tell Me Why, as one of the big things for the marketing for that game was Dontnod promoting their trans MC while at the same time promising there was no transphobic content, no one deadnames the PC, no trans discrimination at all.

Meanwhile episode 1 of LiS2 has a old white shopkeeper beat the poo poo out of a Hispanic child and chain him to a radiator for fitting a general description, and that's not the most racist thing in the game by a longshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Personally I feel like Tell Me Why played it a bit too safe a lot of the time (it’s like it wanted to be a Life is Strange game but couldn’t fully commit to the bit).

I still liked it well enough though (especially the concept of swapping back and forth between two different characters which I kind of wish they’d steal for a proper LiS title)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kassad posted:

Like Larryb said, it's a memory in the first episode : Gabe tracked down their father to Haven but there was no trace of him or any clue where he might have gone from there (obviously). Jed knew, it's why he was so generous to Gabe and then Alex (part guilt, part keeping tabs on them).

Oh that ties it all together I guess, but I think I missed the memory. I think I remember reading his journal/notes about searching for their Dad and it was just a bunch of failed attempts.

The comic looks cool. Interesting timing as the game will be about 2 years old by then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Oh that ties it all together I guess, but I think I missed the memory. I think I remember reading his journal/notes about searching for their Dad and it was just a bunch of failed attempts.

The comic looks cool. Interesting timing as the game will be about 2 years old by then.

It’s the first memory in the game I believe (the cracked wall in Alex’s room once you regain control)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got our first preview for the upcoming True Colors comic:

https://twitter.com/ComicsTitan/status/1708867864386486745

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

We’ve got our first preview for the upcoming True Colors comic:

https://twitter.com/ComicsTitan/status/1708867864386486745
It certainly looks interesting.

So is that meant to be Rachel with Chloe? Or did Max just grow her hair out? I'm so confused.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

It certainly looks interesting.

So is that meant to be Rachel with Chloe? Or did Max just grow her hair out? I'm so confused.

This takes place post TC so assuming that girl sitting with Alex and Steph is in fact Chloe I assume the latter (or it could be an unrelated girl with a similar face)

Alternatively this takes place in one of the alternate timelines from the previous comic where Rachel is still alive (which would kind of be a weird choice honestly as that would effectively invalidate a lot of things such as Wavelengths, the Steph novel, and the previous comic’s ending). We’ll see how it goes I guess

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 13, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New novel announced:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1717194392489078807

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
I’m glad the printed material is giving me the Alex and Steph content the game didn’t give me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wonder if they'll get Katy Bentz and/or Erika Mori to read for this one, I listened to the audiobook of Steph's story and that was a fine way to spend a couple morning runs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Wonder if they'll get Katy Bentz and/or Erika Mori to read for this one, I listened to the audiobook of Steph's story and that was a fine way to spend a couple morning runs.

Did they get any of the other actors back for Steph’s Story or did Katy just do all the voices herself?

Anyway, based on the description it seems that unlike the upcoming comic this one will be following the “Stay in Haven with Steph” ending. I actually kind of like that they’re following a different route this time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Katy read for all the parts, it was mostly in first-person thought. Not too many returning voiced characters except Gabe and Ryan at the very end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Katy read for all the parts, it was mostly in first-person thought. Not too many returning voiced characters except Gabe and Ryan at the very end.

Huh, based on the description I assumed Steph’s dad and maybe Izzie (unless this is post breakup) would get a line or two as well

Also if they’re experimenting with different routes it might be interesting to get something with Post Bay Max (who is never mentioned again in that timeline) or an LiS2 followup of some kind

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wouldn't touch another LiS2 related product with a pole tbh

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Wait there was another novel?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait there was another novel?

Yeah, it’s called Steph’s Story and it came out a while ago

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Strange-Stephs-Rosiee-Thor/dp/1789099617

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 25, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I wouldn't touch another LiS2 related product with a pole tbh

Square Enix probably feels the same.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Square Enix probably feels the same.

There were only the barest nods to it in True Colors after all

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

What Don't Nod thought fans wanted: teen drama with super natural powers

What we actually wanted: lesbians.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

There were only the barest nods to it in True Colors after all

It was wildly in character for Dontnod, a studio that seemingly prizes ideas and creativity over commercial success, to jettison everything people fell in love with for the first game and make a completely different experience. Their game Remember Me has some of the coolest ideas put to video games, but they tried to do some weird 'build your combos' system for their Arkham style combat that was so bad it almost ruined the entire experience.

Had True Colors been the actual LIS2 instead I think it would worked vastly better franchise-wise, and Wolf Bros could've been an exceptional game in the 'anthology' later on as something new and fresh.

Really curious if there was some internal convos at S-E about it early on, especially with approaching Deck Nine for BtS. After it came out that Dontnod and S-E severed ties and the franchise was given to D9 they referenced how writing and developing BtS was their tryout, maybe as early as the last episode of LiS1 the publishers were worried that Dontnod weren't up to the standard they wanted.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 25, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flowing Thot posted:

What Don't Nod thought fans wanted: teen drama with super natural powers

What we actually wanted: lesbians.

It also didn’t help that the gay love interest in that game (for all of one episode and one of the endings) was kind of a douche

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

It was wildly in character for Dontnod, a studio that seemingly prizes ideas and creativity over commercial success, to jettison everything people fell in love with for the first game and make a completely different experience. Their game Remember Me has some of the coolest ideas put to video games, but they tried to do some weird 'build your combos' system for their Arkham style combat that was so bad it almost ruined the entire experience.

Had True Colors been the actual LIS2 instead I think it would worked vastly better franchise-wise, and Wolf Bros could've been an exceptional game in the 'anthology' later on as something new and fresh.

They did sort of try to tie it back in with David in Episode 5 but it was kind of too little too late

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

And also the protagonist is underage

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lis2 clears true colors

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

isnt everyone in lis1 underage

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Weirdly one of the best parts of LIS2 is Captain Spirit.

The biggest problem with episodes 3-5 was all the new people you meet and no emotional context or interest in them, only what the game tells you. A road trip misadventure is ripe for a great story of hardship, struggle, and love but not the way they implemented it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No, Max is 18 and Chloe is 19 because Dontnod really didn't understand the American school system. But we all just went along with it anyway.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Super No Vacancy posted:

isnt everyone in lis1 underage

They are seniors so realisticly some would be some wouldn't be. Not sure what the game actually said or if it said anything at all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The best part of LiS2 was being able to shoot a psycho cult leader

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

That part was good but I wanted Sean and Daniel's mom to explode her brain with the telekinetic powers I thought she had so I was disappointed when she just ended up being normal.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Weirdly one of the best parts of LIS2 is Captain Spirit.

The biggest problem with episodes 3-5 was all the new people you meet and no emotional context or interest in them, only what the game tells you. A road trip misadventure is ripe for a great story of hardship, struggle, and love but not the way they implemented it.

Yeah they should have done more with Chris honestly (Lyla was also a decent character that got completely wasted by the story)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

For me it was telling Sean's mother he didn't care what her excuse was for abandoning her family. The game really wanted you to emphasize with the smothered creative soul tied down by a domestic life who left it all to pursue passion and dreams, and I'm kind of surprised it let you take such a harsh tone with her in the dialogue options.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I sort of liked Karen more than I expected to honestly but it still doesn’t excuse her actions/childish attitude

Meowywitch posted:

Daniel going full Akira on the cops in one of the endings was pretty good too

Also to be fair on the underage thing I don't think it's ever officially stated how old the Drifters are (Finn, Cassidy, and Hannah specifically mention how lovely their respective families were)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 25, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, it’s called Steph’s Story and it came out a while ago

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Strange-Stephs-Rosiee-Thor/dp/1789099617

Is it good? Like, compared to your average fan fiction?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’ve never read it myself but I’ve heard good things (it’s basically Steph’s life post Bae timeline LiS prior to the start of Wavelengths).

There’s also an audio version read by Katy Bentz

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

No, Max is 18 and Chloe is 19 because Dontnod really didn't understand the American school system. But we all just went along with it anyway.

The art private school that also has a football team and cheerleaders(?).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Doesn't BTS explain that it was a regular fancy private high school that got a grant to add a year as a finishing school?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It’s decent, I listened to the audiobook over a week or so and was entertained. It’s definitely written for a more young adult audience but it all felt very in-character for Steph.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Doesn't BTS explain that it was a regular fancy private high school that got a grant to add a year as a finishing school?

Yes, and it’s one of the ~inconsistencies~ between the first game and BTS that people to complain about online. Bitch it didn’t even make any sense before!

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 26, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn’t the original game even a bit inconsistent about what kind of school Blackwell was? Personally I just think of it as a private high school and leave it at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It’s a preparatory academy for Doomed Teens, like the place in Midnight Club (the Netflix series, not the racing game)