Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Wasn’t the original game even a bit inconsistent about what kind of school Blackwell was? Personally I just think of it as a private high school and leave it at that

In practice that's what it is but in theory it's also a creative arts-focused school which do happen like the New York High School of Music & Art but they also at least a football team and cheerleading squad which those types schools usually don't have. (I don't actually personally care or think it ruins anything, just pointing it out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DontNod also didn’t seem to fully understand the difference between expulsion and suspension (the terms are used interchangeably by characters during the first game) and David calls Blackwell a college at one point. Probably best not to think about that kind of stuff too hard

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the school in life is strange never felt weird to me because the town i grew up in literally had an arts and sciences technical school that encompassed 10-12th grade, had live-in housing, and was kind of considered eccentric because they did a lot of unconventional classes (and still gave credits for it). the ages thing also didnt seem weird to me because i almost attended, but would've had to repeat my 10th year since they didn't allow transfers in partway through (which is why i ended up not going). blackwell just felt like a version of that place, just with a larger campus rather than one massive building that was originally two pretty big buildings that'd been connected. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1725167103278297517

Judging by one of the covers I guess it’s confirmed, the new comic will take place in the Rachel Lives timeline from the previous series for some reason

Edit: Apparently Kate will have some role in this too (though unfortunately it seems she’s still dead in this timeline):

https://forbiddenplanet.com/407210-life-is-strange-forget-me-not-2-cover-b-thorogood/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 16, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dontnod's new game actually looks pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpZoPbsae4

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Interesting, wonder if this is another LiS esque game ala Tell Me Why or a different genre entirely. Either way it looks good

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larryb posted:

Interesting, wonder if this is another LiS esque game ala Tell Me Why or a different genre entirely. Either way it looks good

yeah, I'm tentatively hyped

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Ooooh nifty.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Meowywitch posted:

Their market research finally figuring out LiS was a banger because it was for the girlies

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Assuming it is another LIS inspired game it’ll be the earliest one so far (there’s a shot of a calendar that implies this takes place in 1995). Looking forward to hearing more about this eventually

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Their market research finally figuring out LiS was a banger because it was for the girlies

I want lesbian drama and I want it now.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Larryb posted:

Assuming it is another LIS inspired game it’ll be the earliest one so far (there’s a shot of a calendar that implies this takes place in 1995). Looking forward to hearing more about this eventually

I saw the day glo school supplies and was like drat that is some 90s looking...oh 1995 yup, checks out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also these girls are hella gay and I’m all for it.

Between this, Tell Me Why and to a much lesser extent Twin Mirror I sort of get the sense that DontNod wants to keep making Life is Strange games but have no interest in approaching Square about it (so instead we basically get LiS with the numbers filed off)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 8, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

You made a promise 27 years ago? I might have heard that before but It isn't the worst place to pull inspiration from.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

You made a promise 27 years ago? I might have heard that before but It isn't the worst place to pull inspiration from.

That’s about par for the course honestly, what’s the reference here out of curiosity though?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It, maybe

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hell yeah

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m hearing talks now that the game is going to shift between the past and the present as it goes on so it might not all take place in the 90’s.

The main characters are named Swann, Nora, Autumn, and Kat, it’s also been confirmed that this is indeed going to be another choice based game

https://www.ign.com/articles/lost-records-bloom-rage-is-the-next-game-from-dont-nod-game-awards-2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

That’s about par for the course honestly, what’s the reference here out of curiosity though?

Stephen King's It, so we don't start a Abbot and Costello routine. It (Pennywise) specifically comes back around every 27 years.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 8, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Stephen King's It, so we don't start a Abbot and Costello routine. It (Pennywise) specifically comes back around every 27 years.

Ah yes, so based on the above info I assume that at least part of this game actually takes place in 2022 then. Curious if we'll switch control between the 4 main characters as we go on like we did with Tyler and Alison in TMW

Speaking of, Tell Me Why felt very safe in parts so I kind of hope DontNod decides to push the envelope a bit more this time around

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 8, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also these girls are hella gay and I’m all for it.

Between this, Tell Me Why and to a much lesser extent Twin Mirror I sort of get the sense that DontNod wants to keep making Life is Strange games but have no interest in approaching Square about it (so instead we basically get LiS with the numbers filed off)

They didn't make the games that Square wanted, more LiS1 stuff, and went their own direction and left the license with Square. It's the reason Deck Nine was hired to do BTS. I would assume their business relationship is a bit tepid.

Tell Me Why was also a game about trans representation made by committee sanded down so thoroughly literally no one could get mad at it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Your timeline is a bit off. Square greenlighted LIS2 at the same time they commissioned Deck Nine to do BTS. Deck Nine pitched their own narrative adventure game to Square in 2016 but Square wanted them to work on an already proven IP, hence Before the Storm.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

pentyne posted:

They didn't make the games that Square wanted, more LiS1 stuff, and went their own direction and left the license with Square. It's the reason Deck Nine was hired to do BTS. I would assume their business relationship is a bit tepid.

Tell Me Why was also a game about trans representation made by committee sanded down so thoroughly literally no one could get mad at it.

I got mad at it for being so sanded down.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How was Twin Mirror for that matter? I’ve seen a playthrough but it didn’t really grab me that much

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So anybody have an opportunity to read the new comic yet? If so, how is it (I know at least that it’s for some reason set in an AU where Rachel lived and Max never came back from Seattle)

Edit: Just read it, that was...odd. I'm not entirely sure why they decided to set this in an AU rather than taking the easier route of continuing off the game timeline (also apparently Steph knew Kate in this timeline and her death is what caused the former's downward spiral in place of Chloe getting shot/Arcadia Bay being destroyed) and the new girl Lily is basically like Alex except she can take memories from people instead of emotions. I am at least curious to see where this goes if nothing else

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 22, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
So is it the same AU from the last run of comics where Rachel survived, or a new one? Bit of an odd choice, regardless.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So is it the same AU from the last run of comics where Rachel survived, or a new one? Bit of an odd choice, regardless.

Different one, Max apparently never came back from Seattle in this version

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Flowing Thot posted:

I want lesbian drama and I want it now.

This reminds me, are there any books that are “if you loved LiS 1 / BtS and its characters you would love ____”? Other than the comics and official books, I’m lookin for quirky lesbian drama with or without a dash of sci fi and characters that are great

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

This reminds me, are there any books that are “if you loved LiS 1 / BtS and its characters you would love ____”? Other than the comics and official books, I’m lookin for quirky lesbian drama with or without a dash of sci fi and characters that are great

Have you heard of the Locked Tomb series?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

SgtScruffy posted:

No idea if you've seen them already, but

Revolutionary Girl Utena (CW for sexual assault and grooming)

then

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the series for dramatic magical girl lesbian time shenanigans.

then

Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie Part III: The Rebellion

e: Sorry, didn't see you wanted books specifically.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 20, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blue Reflection: Second Light

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, Katy Bentz and Dayeanne Hutton played a LiS themed DnD game in character recently:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xjhVV1Jv_Vs

Also has any further info on Lost Records dropped as of late?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

fez_machine posted:

Have you heard of the Locked Tomb series?

Yes! I read the first one and then like a year later read part of the second one, and missed the entire “this is different” part because it has been so long, I was like “huh I don’t remember that but I forgot most of it, ok!”

I need to just binge em all again

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

SgtScruffy posted:

The comics of Tillie Walden might be something you'd like. Lots of lesbians and magical realism/fantasy. Her space fantasy On a Sunbeam is free online and her books are you listening? and I Love This Part are more grounded modern world stuff.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Reviews for the new Dontnod game are in, range from good to great with the caveat being that combat is pretty sub-par but the rest of the game experience is probably good enough to overcome that issue. The narrative and story are highly praised, what Dontnod does well they seem to excel at with this one.

Combat seems like a chronic issue for them in general, from Remember Me to Vampyr, but this is apparently at least a noticeable improvement on it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is old but I hadn't seen it, someone on Reddit posted about a possible Life is Strange 3 leak.

quote:

For anyone interested, the LiS3 content presented to us in that survey was a direct sequel to the first LiS with a 10 year time jump. Max teaches photography at a college in a small town and hasn't used her power since the end of LiS. It follows the time line where Chloe dies. During a walk through the park late at night Max comes across a dead student of hers and contemplates whether or not to use her power to figure out who committed the crime.

The game mechanic was changed a bit as the working title of the game was LiS: Aperture, and using Max's camera would stimulate the time mechanic through the lens of what she was looking at.

We saw different character models of what Max looked like 10 years into the future and concept art of the town and college campus. We also concepts of an apartment that you could own and customize with different furniture and decorations. There was also a side quest that involved a cat that would eventually become your pet.

There was also talk of expansion and microtransactions but only on the basis of "what is the most you'd pay for alternate outfits, apartment furnishings, or holiday items when certain holidays would come around?" It almost seemed.. live service-ish, but they didn't give us any other info than that.

All in all, it seemed very promising and everyone that participated in the zoom (including me) were very excited for it.
https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/19b7ute/someone_on_reddit_claimed_to_have_seen_what_could/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s not the first time I’ve heard rumors about the next LiS game putting Max back in the driver’s seat so I suppose it could be possible at least

If true however they 100% must get Hannah back to voice her, that is nonnegotiable

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 14, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not sure how I feel about them forcing one timeline over the other if they ever choose to revisit Max. I think I would prefer it if they do some really wild and wacky crazy bullshit and have her constantly being sent back and forth between the two timelines and you have to solve whatever mystery is being presented while having to navigate two timelines. I think the comic sort of does this?

Plus I think bringing Max back but not Chloe is a mistake IMO

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Larryb posted:

That’s not the first time I’ve heard rumors about the next LiS game putting Max back in the driver’s seat so I suppose it could be possible at least

If true however they 100% must get Hannah back to voice her, that is nonnegotiable

I was checking the thread and you posted the original leak and the details match with the new one so that's interesting

Larryb posted:

There have also been rumors going around for a few months regarding an LiS4 starring an adult Max but it might just be bullshit (we do know that Deck Nine has an as of yet unannounced project in the works):

https://www.cbr.com/life-is-strange-4-max-caulfield-story-rumors-square-enix-deck-nine/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

No Chloe would suck, sorry.