Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about them forcing one timeline over the other if they ever choose to revisit Max. I think I would prefer it if they do some really wild and wacky crazy bullshit and have her constantly being sent back and forth between the two timelines and you have to solve whatever mystery is being presented while having to navigate two timelines. I think the comic sort of does this?

Plus I think bringing Max back but not Chloe is a mistake IMO

I suppose they could have Chloe show up in dream sequences or something like William did in BtS (or go Twin Mirror and have her pop up as the physical representation of Max’s psyche) but yeah, the split timeline idea does sound more interesting

I like Max and would love to see her again but I’m just not sure she has a strong enough personality to carry a game on her own without a sidekick to bounce off of

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
True Colors didn't exactly land with a splash, it sold decently well but not for a franchise that people had peak-Telltale level expectations of. Decknine also build some cutting edge mo-cap studio that's gonna need to see a lot of projects come through to return the investment.

The rumors about LiS4 in that linked article sound pretty terrible, like just forcing in the only thing they think can work to bring back the original VA cast. Even then, the original time travel puzzle mechanic was a bad idea, Dontnod's lead dev back then said knowing what they knew now they would never consider trying to make it work again due to the complexity and problems it caused.

More viable would be some light/dark world stuff where Chloe is alive in one and not the other, or even alt versions. Make a mystery you have to travel between worlds to solve and actions in one impact the other. There's ripe potential for adding in the kind of emotional crushing decisions you have to make and the flexibility to bring back literally anyone they want from the franchise.

It's still trying to bait people with nostalgia though. Plus, the comics are a direct continuation of the game's Bae ending and tell a very good story that doesn't need to be improved upon. The comic did so well it got reprinted very quickly and extended from a simple 4 issue run to like 36 issues.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like Max but...can we just leave them girls alone

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Adult Max could maybe be fine, but they need to lean into more of what made LIS good unlike True Colors. I really want more focus on the relationships and friends and gay as gently caress instead of some mystery. TC just saying you became friends with them off screen was an insult.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flowing Thot posted:

Adult Max could maybe be fine, but they need to lean into more of what made LIS good unlike True Colors. I really want more focus on the relationships and friends and gay as gently caress instead of some mystery. TC just saying you became friends with them off screen was an insult.

To be fair, as I understand it Covid kind of played hell with TC’s development (for example, in Wavelengths Steph was originally supposed to be able to leave the record store at least once and interact with customers in person. Also the ads for the game seemed to promise a much more immersive experience than what we actually got)

But yeah, if you’re going to bring Max back she needs a good supporting cast as well (and as I said, even if you’re married to the Chloe Dies timeline there are still a few ways you could have her pop up regardless). The idea of focusing more on the reality hopping aspect of Max’s powers rather than pure time control does seem more interesting however

I’d also kind of like to see a future LiS game borrow a bit from Tell Me Why (specifically the concept of swapping back and forth between two protagonists at various points)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I loved what was there in True Colors so it's pretty big bummer that Covid hit the game so hard. My favorite scene is still them doing their little scooby doo plotting session to get the USB drive, and I would've loved to have seen way more of the three of them being a little mystery solving trio

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I loved what was there in True Colors so it's pretty big bummer that Covid hit the game so hard. My favorite scene is still them doing their little scooby doo plotting session to get the USB drive, and I would've loved to have seen way more of the three of them being a little mystery solving trio

Yeah, Alex, Ryan, and Steph made a good trio and I wish we could have had more time with them hanging out together.

Though to be fair I actually liked most of the townsfolk from TC and felt it was at least a step up from LiS2’s revolving door of supporting cast members

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Imagine respecting anyone's choice to save the Bay. Homophobes. There does not need to be any ambiguity in future games.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Imagine respecting anyone's choice to save the Bay. Homophobes. There does not need to be any ambiguity in future games.

I mean I saved the bay, but only because Chloe asked me to.

I really wish they'd kept the hospital ending.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean I saved the bay, but only because Chloe asked me to.

I really wish they'd kept the hospital ending.

Look at this dumbass. Watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica. When you are a lesbian with time powers, you need to use that power to be toxicly in love.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the Hospital ending, inasmuch as it ever was a serious consideration by Dontnod, would have been unsatisfying. The thematic throughline of Life is Strange is that of contradictions and oppositional elements eventually coming into irreconcilable superposition, offering some incomplete half-measure ending would have undercut that entire idea.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also LiS in general doesn’t really do happy endings, there’s usually some level of bittersweetness to them no matter what you choose

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 15, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Also LiS in general doesn’t really do happy endings, there’s usually some level of bittersweetness to them no matter what you choose

I'm still really put off by the final stinger they did for the ending of Before the Storm.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I'm still really put off by the final stinger they did for the ending of Before the Storm.

I suppose you could consider it a “preview” for the original game or something but it still wasn’t necessary and if they did want to put some nod to the first game there were probably better things they could have done (like cut to a shot of Rachel’s missing person poster or a scene of Max getting off a bus or something)

If I remember right even some of the Deck Nine staff were hesitant about putting that scene in

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
For all it's problems LiS2 Wolf Bros did manage to make the ending actually significant to your choices across the entire game, and the endings ranged from suffering and finding happiness where you can, to life loving sucks just make peace with it

The entire subplot throughout the game of the FBI chasing Sean for "killing" the cops in the first episode was mind numbingly stupid given the whole thing was shown on video though. Getting 15 years in prison for shooting an insane cult leader trying to trap you in a burning building also seems like a stretch and that Dontnod just really wanted some harsh prison life ending and did not know how to develop the context for it.

Macaluso posted:

That was unnecessary for the game as a whole and did nothing for the narrative. It was a known fact for anyone who had played LiS1 and I don't really think there was any overlap of people playing BTS for the first time and never having played LiS.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, it’s possible the authorities didn’t know about the shady poo poo Lisbeth was doing in Haven Point (though maybe Karen brought it up when she let herself get arrested for starting the fire). All they probably knew was that it was a religious commune in Nevada that got burned to the ground (and depending on player choice the leader can also wind up dead)

Come to think of it, I believe episode 2 was the only time the boys got through a leg of their journey without leaving some form of destruction in their wake (though even there depending on your choices Stephen can get his leg broken and Chris can get hit by a car)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 15, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

To be fair, it’s possible the authorities didn’t know about the shady poo poo Lisbeth was doing in Haven Point (though maybe Karen brought it up when she let herself get arrested for starting the fire). All they probably knew was that it was a religious commune in Nevada that got burned to the ground (and depending on player choice the leader can also wind up dead)

Come to think of it, I believe episode 2 was the only time the boys got through a leg of their journey without leaving some form of destruction in their wake

I can only assume that murder is the one he goes to jail for. In episode 4 when the FBI lady is questioning him she states directly he's being charged with the murder of a police officer from the original incident.

You know, the one on camera who was thrown 20 feet in the air into his car, the same car also blasted away by Daniel.

I recall something like claiming it was an explosive but even with the caveat of a racist justice system and pro cop society there's just way too many problems with making that argument work. The FBI even tries to suggest to Sean that his dad maybe did it instead, which is equally unlikely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also a lot of the plot is moved forward by Sean jumping the gun. It’s possible if he just stayed put instead of fleeing the scene in panic things probably wouldn’t have been as bad for him (as mentioned, there is literal video evidence of the cop being hurled back several feet. I’m not sure how they’d come to the conclusion that a scrawny teenager could have done something like that)

Granted, the universe granting a literal child in a bad situation deadly psychic powers didn’t help much either

Hell, Lisbeth in Episode 4 is basically the only captial “V” villian in the game, every other antagonist is either some random rear end in a top hat(s) or the constant threat of the police catching up to them

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 15, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I wish we got a spin off game where we played as Lyla the best character in the game.

Flowing Thot fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 15, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flowing Thot posted:

I wish we got a spin off game where we played as Layla the best character in the game.

Yeah, she was criminally underused in the game (it also might be nice to actually MEET some of the people we only communicated with by text in the first episode)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just wanna play Steph trying to round up people and then running her D&D game.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

New crossover: Wavelengths 2: Like a Dragon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I unironically think Steph could carry a full game on her own, they’d just probably need to give her some kind of gimmick (as BTS showed it doesn’t even need to be a superpower, just a little something extra to spice up the gameplay a little)

Doing an in-game DnD campaign from the perspective of the GM could also be fun

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 16, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Larryb posted:

(as mentioned, there is literal video evidence of the cop being hurled back several feet. I’m not sure how they’d come to the conclusion that a scrawny teenager could have done something like that)

I think the police theory is that he whispered the word "fentanyl" in the direction of the officer

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Deck Nine laid off 20% of staff today.

https://x.com/DeckNineGames/status/1762600546878599430?s=20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The second issue of the True Colors comic is out now after multiple delays. Still don’t really get why they decided to stick this in an AU but it’s not terrible so far

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well this sucks

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-hidden-nazi-symbols-were-the-tip-of-a-toxic-iceberg-at-life-is-strange-developer-deck-nine

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Some pretty brutal sounding stuff in there, none of it massively surprising unfortunately these days. Creepy dude who just keeps pushing boundaries and creeping out the women, horrendous crunch and poor timeline planning, management seemingly not being at all prepared for discussing/implementing any of the things the kind of games they want to make would entail.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 5, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

For instance, multiple people recalled an incident during True Colors development where Square Enix told multiple developers it didn’t want Life Is Strange to be thought of as the “gay game.”

literally every mf'er making 6 figures at game companies has no loving clue how to make successful games

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The article also seems to mention that some kind of new LiS (or LiS-like) game was in development but that might not be happening now (and based on the stuff listed that’s probably a good thing, though I would at least hope that stuff was displayed/said by the bad guys of said game like was the case in LiS2)

Edit: From what I can interpret from the article it appears that a artist or something with that ability was inserting these things secretly/hidden into a certain room in the game and trying to get away with it. It was deliberate and done with malintent, not as part of the narrative. gently caress them then

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 5, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DontNod seems to be having some issues of its own

https://www.stjv.fr/en/2024/02/dont-nod-ascension-or-free-fall/

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

"Secret Nazi developer(s)(?) added racist dogwhistles to the newest Life is Strange" was not something I expected. :wtc:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, that’s also not how I expected to learn there was going to BE another LiS game (but most of Deck Nine’s other staff seem cool and least and it appears they’re on top of dealing with this)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm baffled because would those kinds of people even play a LiS game??? lol. they'd be like "gently caress this woke poo poo"

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As the article already implies, presumably it was put in there to upset the people who *would* play a Life is Strange game.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
One thing the article I reckon misunderstood was the request for people who used 💯 as a reaction to an announcement by management of anti-hate speech education programs to face HR investigations for using something that could be construed as a hate symbol meaning 100% White. That seems so obviously a bad-faith poke at the team who made the original complaints about 88, 18 and runes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

As the article already implies, presumably it was put in there to upset the people who *would* play a Life is Strange game.

Oh, sorry. I did not in fact read the article (because I didnt want to get more upset).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's all a big clusterfuck made worse by ineffective management. Most of the work crunch problems were Square Enix making insane time/cost demands and D9 management agreeing for fear of losing the deal. It's portrayed like D9 was picked to do LiS as they came in as the cheapest option and Square kept that mentality up.

The various shades of abusive and harassing employees are typical poo poo game company things. The stand out was the weird CCO who sort of solidified his position as untouchable by virtue of having the magical power of being willing to tell Square Enix "no" to some of their demands.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Life is Strange: 90s edition by Dontnod got another trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVgZamG22MQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems interesting enough, I’m guessing this will be another Tell Me Why esque game where it’s basically an unofficial LiS title in nearly all but name (this one does feel a little more ambitious however). Has anything been said about the gameplay/gimmick yet?

Also based on the whole debacle from a little bit ago I guess there’s going to be a LiS4 of sorts from Deck Nine eventually too (assuming they got rid of the nazi poo poo and didn’t scrap the whole project by now that is). If it does happen, curious if those rumors of Max returning to take center stage again will end up being true

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 30, 2024